• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are you on Stephen Harper's list of "enemies"?

StarryNightshade

Spiritually confused Jew
Premium Member
Let's see:

-I like science.
-I'm American
-I'm strongly considering joining the US Green Party.

I guess I shouldn't move to Canada. I'm a triple threat! :p

Dunemeister

Although we lefties like to blame Harpo for a lot of things, the fact is that he's simply gaming the Canadian political system. The PMO is a far more powerful office (relatively speaking) than the US President's. Also, Americans tend to expect their President to talk to them at least daily through the media. Harpo gives what, three interviews a year, and each of those interviews is given only after a list of questions has been provided and approved! Thus, accountability is in the American political blood, whereas here in Canada, nothing. Before Harper, we'd been lucky. Monsters like him were to be expected eventually.

bookwormlady

Owned by 2 cats
Ugh I really don't like Harper. I don't care if I'm on his list, he's on mine.

I wish Jack Layton was still around. :(

:yes: Agreed on all of the above! I had the pleasure of meeting Jack Layton in Ottawa, the year before he died. We spotted him walking downtown, and somewhat stalkerishly ;) we followed him into a pub, where he was just chatting with random people and saying hello to them. We got to thank him for his hard work, say hi, and shake his hand. That was awesome.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I cried when Jack passed, and I don't cry easily. Probably the only time I felt that way about a politician.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
And that's a fine point that many people do not miss. Harper certainly is targeted by the left simply because he has been a effective PM.

*Suppresses the urge to vomit.*

Although we lefties like to blame Harpo for a lot of things, the fact is that he's simply gaming the Canadian political system. The PMO is a far more powerful office (relatively speaking) than the US President's. Also, Americans tend to expect their President to talk to them at least daily through the media. Harpo gives what, three interviews a year, and each of those interviews is given only after a list of questions has been provided and approved! Thus, accountability is in the American political blood, whereas here in Canada, nothing. Before Harper, we'd been lucky. Monsters like him were to be expected eventually.
Monster? Stephen Harper is a monster?

You see, folks, this is how our current PM, and a pretty good one, at that, is viewed by those who are bitterly opposed to his agenda. I think part of this sentiment is the inherent recognition of those who are opposed to him and the Conservatives that they cannot organize a bake sale, let alone, win an election against Harper and crew. Oh, and for the record, I was a life long Liberal supporter before they turned on Jean Cretien and have been lost in the wilderness ever since. Now the Liberals are pinning their hopes on Trudeau Jr. Laughable, really. The hilarious part is that the Liberals will only pick up extra seats from the NDP, who rose in power due to the ineptitude of the Block in Quebec. It's not like they really earned the votes. Malware knows this and that he is skating on thin ice. Meanwhile, Harper just sits there chuckling... watching ...

:yes: Agreed on all of the above! I had the pleasure of meeting Jack Layton in Ottawa, the year before he died. We spotted him walking downtown, and somewhat stalkerishly ;) we followed him into a pub, where he was just chatting with random people and saying hello to them. We got to thank him for his hard work, say hi, and shake his hand. That was awesome.
Oddly, I don't think I would have walked across the street to say hello to Layton. There does seem to be a strange sentiment to make the man a saint however.

Last edited:

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Personally, I thought the contempt thing was hilarious. It was like a bunch of three year old citing the teacher for not letting them play during class. Wasn't that just before the three parties tried to remove him from power, only to be utterly trounced at the polls? Talk about over-reach.
SHD
Only a few of the reasons I do not like him.
Well, at least you have a sense of humor.

Alceste

Vagabond
Haha. Well, things have been a bit weird of late, ever since that Duffy business, but seriously.... Harper is far better than either of the current alternatives. Sad... perhaps, but still, true.

What are you talking about? Harper's government has always been this weird. Sometimes even weirder. Remember when he spent a billion dollars in a single weekend arresting half of Toronto to impress his G8 buddies? I can't see Justin Trudeau doing that. Plus he's way prettier than Harper, with his cold, dead eyes.

Alceste

Vagabond

So do I. :( Although I'm amazed that the NDP hasn't managed to come up with anyone else remotely close to Layton's effectiveness. They should try to nab Elizabeth May. She's been doing an awesome job.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
So do I. :( Although I'm amazed that the NDP hasn't managed to come up with anyone else remotely close to Layton's effectiveness. They should try to nab Elizabeth May. She's been doing an awesome job.
Even I like Elizabeth May... though I'd never vote for her. She is a refreshing change.

Alceste

Vagabond
Even I like Elizabeth May... though I'd never vote for her. She is a refreshing change.

You voted for Harper. There's nobody else in the Canadian political landscape that will every satisfy your inner fascist the way he does. :p

I'm afraid you might be stuck voting conservative for life.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
I can't see Justin Trudeau doing that. Plus he's way prettier than Harper, with his cold, dead eyes.
I loved it when he said that he wasn't as intellectual as his dad. LOL. Um, Justin... there are some things you don't need to tell us. We know.

On go good note, at least he has smoked a joint with Mark Emery. :slap:

Alceste

Vagabond
I loved it when he said that he wasn't as intellectual as his dad. LOL. Um, Justin... there are some things you don't need to tell us. We know.

On go good note, at least he has smoked a joint with Mark Emery. :slap:

Hell yes! This is a great time to run on a platform of legalizing pot. The US drug war is crumbling and Mexico is going down that road too. It would be too ironic if Canada was the last to legalize it just because we're bogged down with these puritanical ideologues. Canadians smoke more pot than any other developed country in the world. We'd foster a billion dollar industry and wouldn't need Harper's costly new prisons.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Hell yes! This is a great time to run on a platform of legalizing pot. The US drug war is crumbling and Mexico is going down that road too. It would be too ironic if Canada was the last to legalize it just because we're bogged down with these puritanical ideologues.
Too funny. I'm afraid that embracing that idea would skewer his attempts at being a serious contender to the throne. The very people he would need to get elected would be too stoned to remember to get out and vote.

Canadians smoke more pot than any other developed country in the world.
This explains a lot about the drivel I am reading coming out of the left wing. Makes sense. Do you have to be loaded before it all makes sense?

We'd foster a billion dollar industry and wouldn't need Harper's costly new prisons.
Sure we would. We still need a place to house the First Nations and homeless people. Jeeez. (Then again, at least we would be able to afford it. And... it does add a whole new dimension to the concept of "going green".)

Alceste

Vagabond
Too funny. I'm afraid that embracing that idea would skewer his attempts at being a serious contender to the throne. The very people he would need to get elected would be too stoned to remember to get out and vote.

This explains a lot about the drivel I am reading coming out of the left wing. Makes sense. Do you have to be loaded before it all makes sense?

Sure we would. We still need a place to house the First Nations and homeless people. Jeeez. (Then again, at least we would be able to afford it. And... it does add a whole new dimension to the concept of "going green".)

Whether or not you smoke pot, legalization should greatly appeal to your inner fiscal conservative. Instead of wasting our money locking people up for trying to do business, we let them go ahead and do business but we tax them like we do cigarette manufacturers and breweries. Win-win.

Morality-based legislation never works. Making something illegal just because you don't approve of it doesn't stop it from happening and never will. Doesn't even make a dent. Just costs money. Bottomless pits of taxpayer money.

bookwormlady

Owned by 2 cats
Oddly, I don't think I would have walked across the street to say hello to Layton. There does seem to be a strange sentiment to make the man a saint however.

Oh, I'm not tempted to make him a saint. I liked him as a politician, and he did seem friendly and charismatic - but for that matter, I'd certainly walk up to Stephen Harper and say hello. He just doesn't strike me as the sort of guy who would willingly walk into a pub to chat with folks. ;)

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Whether or not you smoke pot, legalization should greatly appeal to your inner fiscal conservative. Instead of wasting our money locking people up for trying to do business, we let them go ahead and do business but we tax them like we do cigarette manufacturers and breweries. Win-win.

Morality-based legislation never works. Making something illegal just because you don't approve of it doesn't stop it from happening and never will. Doesn't even make a dent. Just costs money. Bottomless pits of taxpayer money.
I don't have any personal issues with legalization, but I do see major problems with the Americans if we went for legalization. It would cause huge problems at the border.

Aquitaine

I'll admit I know virtually nothing about Canadian politics, but this Harper dude doesn't sound particularly pleasant. He sounds like a bit of a George Bush type. :shrug: