• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are you a Theist, who incorporates Buddhist religion/ or concepts, into your beliefs?

Are you a Theist, who is either a Buddhist, or incorporates Buddhist religion into your beliefs?

• Buddhist who is Theistic

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
Are you a Theist who is either a Buddhist, or who incorporates Buddhist concepts/religious, into your religious beliefs?

thanks

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Are you a Theist who is either a Buddhist, or who incorporates Buddhist concepts/religious, into your religious beliefs?

thanks

Don't think this exactly answers your question; but, since I adopted the practice into my life, I am a polytheist. Buddhism (Japanese) is actually a polytheist religion (in other words, multiple gods exists. We don't worship them). It has many gods carried from the Shinto faith. There are many gods, etc, that hear The Buddha's Dharma. I don't believe in the god's and never experience the gods in Buddhism as one would say one would in Christianity. So, it's an isolated part of my faith but something I just nod and say "hm. interesting."

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
I voted: Theist who incorporates Buddhist religious concepts into /religious beliefs

The 4 Noble Truths and the teachings of compassion and detachment are universal and inspiring. In the end I prefer Hinduism because Buddhism prefers to not get entangled in the metaphysical questions that are of interest to me. I see Buddhism as a practice for the ending of suffering.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
Don't think this exactly answers your question; but, since I adopted the practice into my life, I am a polytheist. Buddhism (Japanese) is actually a polytheist religion (in other words, multiple gods exists. We don't worship them). It has many gods carried from the Shinto faith. There are many gods, etc, that hear The Buddha's Dharma. I don't believe in the god's and never experience the gods in Buddhism as one would say one would in Christianity. So, it's an isolated part of my faith but something I just nod and say "hm. interesting."

Polytheism would imply to me, /theism. It is a type of theism. If those deities were merely concepts, then no, I would not label that as theism

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Polytheism would imply to me, /theism. It is a type of theism. If those deities were merely concepts, then no, I would not label that as theism

Gods are not all entities, though. In many theist religions there is a varient of how an individual relates to their god and defines it. If its only physical entities, that leaves half the abrahamoc religion, many Pagan religions, and Mahayana buddhist out the picture.

I think the word theism has been influenced by abrahamic thought like other words. Do you define theism base on most abrahamic thought?

But. Yeah. Im a polytheist. I dont call spirits gods since I dont worship them.

Last edited:

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
What are the "Buddhist concepts?" I ask in part because who "owns" ideas is... well... not a straightforward matter. There are certainly many areas where Buddhist religions cross paths with those of contemporary Paganisms, but when do practices become "Buddhist concepts" and not "Pagan concepts?" Who owns what? Since meditation is most well-known from Buddhism, does that mean Pagans practicing meditation are using "Buddhist concepts?"

Sees

Dragonslayer
I have been very interested in multiple religions since I was a kid old enough to read and ask questions - Buddhism being one I've always been a fan of. Going over Buddhist stories and teachings, practicing Buddhist meditation, etc. influenced me quite a bit. I don't do so very often now - but I think it stays with you, the degree depending on the effort/concentration you put into it.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
It would be immensely difficult to incorporate Buddhism and theism past the holistic benefits that can be had from practicing Buddhism.

Letting go the branch in Hakuin's poem would signify the limitations by which hanging on to theism would present if one invariably clings to such, and refuses to let go.....

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic Bully ☿
Premium Member
What are the "Buddhist concepts?" I ask in part because who "owns" ideas is... well... not a straightforward matter. There are certainly many areas where Buddhist religions cross paths with those of contemporary Paganisms, but when do practices become "Buddhist concepts" and not "Pagan concepts?" Who owns what? Since meditation is most well-known from Buddhism, does that mean Pagans practicing meditation are using "Buddhist concepts?"
Four Dharma Seals of Buddhism are four distinct teachings of the Buddha used to distinguish Buddhadharma from non-Buddhadharma: (link)
The Four Seals are:

1. All compounded things are impermanent. {anicca}
  2. All stained emotions are painful. {dukkha}
  3. All phenomena are empty. {anatta}
  4. Nirvana is peace, beyond concepts. {Nibbana}

loverofhumanity

We are all the leaves of one tree
Premium Member

thanks

As Baha'is we believe Buddha taught the oneness of God but His a Teachings have been lost. Buddha mentions that His Teachings will decay over time. After 2,500 years we believe His followers are not in possession of all His authentic Teachings but there are some which refer to a God.

Also Buddha says Maietrya will teach the same religion He taught when He comes and we identify Baha'u'llah with Him and Baha'u'llah teaches there is God.

Last edited:

Rick O'Shez

Irishman bouncing off walls
Four Dharma Seals of Buddhism are four distinct teachings of the Buddha used to distinguish Buddhadharma from non-Buddhadharma: (link)
The Four Seals are:

1. All compounded things are impermanent. {anicca}
  2. All stained emotions are painful. {dukkha}
  3. All phenomena are empty. {anatta}
  4. Nirvana is peace, beyond concepts. {Nibbana}

This is a useful list. I find it difficult to see how #3 could be compatible with "God", since it would require "God" to be transient, lacking in self-nature and only arising in dependence on conditions.

Last edited:

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
As Baha'is we believe Buddha taught the oneness of God but His a Teachings have been lost. Buddha mentions that His Teachings will decay over time. After 2,500 years we believe His followers are not in possession of all His authentic Teachings but there are some which refer to a God.

Also Buddha says Maietrya will teach the same religion He taught when He comes and we identify Baha'u'llah with Him and Baha'u'llah teaches there is God.

That is interesting, thanks

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic Bully ☿
Premium Member
God is only good whenever present in mind.
Reminds me of how Thich Nhat Hanh equated being filled with mindfulness as being filled with the Holy Spirit in Living Buddha, Living Christ. One might equate the Four immeasurables {metta, karuna, mudita, and upekkha} as the Holy Spirit, as these arise after your mind has been purified of the three poisons of greed, hatred, and delusion that can overcome your mind.