• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

are you a good person?

Abram

Abraham
I used to think I was good until I started to become Christian. I can be very wicked and if left to myself I will lie, hurt, hide things, lust, etc... Can I keep any of the laws that God gave me? Nope, not a one. If tempted enough by the right situation and people I will break every law and rule set upon me. But with contineous Bible study and prayer I tend to stay out of the grip of the devil. Thank you Jesus!

joeboonda

I have broken all 10 of the 10 Commandments in reality or in essence. I am therefore guilty before Almighty God, and cannot enter Heaven as He is Holy and I am not. I therefore accepted the free gift that Christ paid for all my sins on the cross, and gave me His Righteousness, thereby pardoning me and letting me in to Heaven.

jewscout

Religious Zionist
**MOD POST**
Please remember that proselytizing of any kind is specifically prohibited on RF
thank you

joeboonda

If you are referring to me, I am simply answering the post, am I good, and I use the ten commandments to see if I am, in God's eyes, in my religion. Am simply stating a believe, not asking or telling anyone to believe it. Okey-Dokey?

Nehustan

I remember leaving the tube (subway) on my way to work one day and there were some girls collecting for some charity or another, so I gave them some cash. They smiled and said 'You're a nice guy' I replied 'Oh no...I gave you the money because I know I'm not.'

I think I will quote Socrates who while walking through athens was accosted by a man who shouted at him 'In you I see the Devil'....'Ahhh' replied Socrates'...I see you know me sir.'

Maxist

Ha, I am not a good person. No one is, no one can be. Good is an ever-changing thing. A thing that is always just within reach, and quite impossible to obtain.

Mister_T

Forum Relic
Premium Member
I can be a no good S.O.B. if someone tick's me off. I've got my moments. No one's perfect. But, when it comes right down to it, I believe that I'm a good person at heart.

Steve

Im not a good person, ive lied, stolen, lusted, dishonered my parents - the list can go on!
If it wernt for Christ and his payment for my sin i would end up in Hell.

Opethian

I'm just as good as any other person or organism on this planet, because let's face it, we're just organised parts of dead matter that interact with their surroundings based on the way we are structured. There is no free will, so how can your choices determine if you are a good person or not? They can't. They can only show how lucky you are and how well you comply with the matter around you.

DakotaGypsy

blinding_light said:
. . . .i guess some of the questions you could answer are

1. Would you consider yourself to be a good person?
I try to be a good person according to my lights.
blinding_light said:
a) have you ever told a lie?
Often. I don't think I've ever lied to harm someone or to harm someone's reputation.
blinding_light said:
b) have you ever stolen anything thats ANYTHING... ever?
I think theft is a lowbrow crime and my reasons for not stealing, pure snobbery, cannot count for making me good. I have stolen some ridiculous things though, when I was a talking Christmas Tree at Gimbel's and was alone in the cafeteria, I stole a superripe banana because I love superripe bananas and I knew the banana would be tossed into the garbage and I didn't want to see it wasted when I would enjoy it--with my pervserse love of superripe bananas.
blinding_light said:
c) Have you ever taken God's name in vain (used Jesus and God as a swear word)?
I've sworn quite often, I am quite the primadona of swearing, but I thought taking God's name in vain meant swearing falsely in a case of law where one was obliged to take a Christian-type oath in God's name or upon a Bible, that sort of thing, to tell the truth. And, I have never lied under oath.
blinding_light said:
d) Ever looked at a member of the opposite sex with lust (or even thought of a member of the opposite or same sex with lustful thoughts)?
Quite often, thank heavens. And, I try to avoid seducing other women's husbands.
blinding_light said:
And the question following all that is... are you guilty of breaking ANY of these (just being only four of the ten commandments)? If yes - and i mean be honest here...
Yeah, I've prolly broken all of them, depending upon how you interpret them.
blinding_light said:
If you died tonight for example (as we do not kno for sure when we will die), and were before God, would He find you guilty or not guilty of breaking His moral law (above)?
God and I would have a very interesting conversation--if there is a God. I would probably put God on trial and grill him.
blinding_light said:
on this basis will you go to heaven or hell?
I'd rather go to hell with my friends than to heaven with Billy Graham, Pat Robertson, Jerry Falwell, folks of that ilk.

A

angellous_evangellous

I drink beer and eat pizza while watching Jackie Chan! :jam:

A

angellous_evangellous

mr.guy said:
I haven't stepped on a kitten all day. That makes me good. For today.

I had a nightmare about kittens last night. The little bugger kept sratching me!:149:

A

angellous_evangellous

Nehustan said:
I remember leaving the tube (subway) on my way to work one day and there were some girls collecting for some charity or another, so I gave them some cash. They smiled and said 'You're a nice guy' I replied 'Oh no...I gave you the money because I know I'm not.'

I think I will quote Socrates who while walking through athens was accosted by a man who shouted at him 'In you I see the Devil'....'Ahhh' replied Socrates'...I see you know me sir.'

I have not found this quote attributed to Socrates. Where did you find it?

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
I am not sure I am a good person; I wish I was, and I try to be.

Sometimes, when I think I have done a good deed, I think about it, and can usually come to the conclusion that I would get some benefit from it (feeling good, or happy). It's like helping an old lady across the road, walking away, and thinking "That was nice of me".........that devalues the act completely.

I am not 'fit' mentally, or physically, and give my family a hard time, because of my agoraphobia each time I need to go out. I have really bad mood swings (though I am learning how to control them to some extent).

Am I good? I honestly don't know. I would have to admit to having broken a few of the ten commandments................

Nehustan

angellous_evangellous said:
I have not found this quote attributed to Socrates. Where did you find it?

I'm pretty sure it was in the dialogues, tho' I have paraphrased it as I read it a long time ago, but the general jist is what I put. I'm sure it must have been the dialogues as it was in the 3rd person as I recall, and as Plato wrote them that would account for the 3rd person, long time ago tho' but I recall laughing out loud when I read it.