• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

are you a good person?

fromthe heart

I'm trying to be a good person but have failed in many ways...but by the grace of God will continue to try to bring my life into acceptable lines in what God wants for my life.

I try to never take the name of God in vain.

I do not hold anything higher in my life than my love of God...things of life are just passing and will not go with me when I die.

I have not always kept the Sabbath holy.

I honor my Father and Mother and never disrespect them.

I have never murdered anyone.

I have commited adultry...not once but many times.

I have lied...which breaks the commandment of bearing false witness.

I do not ever want what someone else has only what I personally earn in life or given to me through prayer from God...thus have not broken the commandment of coveting what my neighbor has...I am always grateful to see those I know prosper. I did however get this one wrong as a child...I wanted to dress 'in style' as the other kids did.

WELL...there you have it I'm not a good person...I have failed in many regions of my life...what some feel are aspects of a 'good' person are only workings of life to me and I want only what God sees fit in my life...I don't always suceed.

Ormiston

Atheist_Dave said:
You have taken it one stage too far Mr! This means war!!!!! *Plots feverishly*

:ignore: Nanny nanny poo poo....

I just realized what I just said (depends?) :(

Buttercup

Veteran Member
I suppose I should answer this question in a serious manner to show respect for the author! :)

I strive to be a good person. But, I know I can always do better......

w00t

We should look for the good in people and only worry about things that are illegal and hurt others. Christian fundies seem to have a list of so called 'sins' that are not wrong doing to a reasonable person!

Evenstar

The Wicked Christian
BUDDY said:
Am I a good person.....Biblically?

No, probably not.

But, I tell you what, I am a heck of a lot closer than some on this site.:D
Well I think ill join the BUDDY gang, I agree, and this also sounds alot like me too.
I maybe not the best, but im better than some :eek:

jamaesi

To Save A Lamb
I'm a person.

I try to do good things and live in such a way that I help things and harm no one else. I feel bad and try to improve or change when I do wrong things. I'm not perfect, but I live the best way I can.

w00t

I think living the best life one can and trying to help others along the way is what we should be doing, and let the afterlife take care of itself!

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
Tangnefedd said:
I think living the best life one can and trying to help others along the way is what we should be doing, and let the afterlife take care of itself!

That's the whole point of the gospel message: We have been taken care of, so now we can spend our time and energy helping others in response to the love that has been shown to us.

evearael

I am happy with my life. I'm grateful for the all my blessings. I'm grateful for the terrible things that have befallen me for the lessons they bring. I try to be vigilant about soul searching and self-improvement, but I have a long way to go.

blinding_light

sojourner said:
That's the whole point of the gospel message: We have been taken care of, so now we can spend our time and energy helping others in response to the love that has been shown to us.

but the gospel is based also on doing what Christ asks... its not just a case of - its done, now i can do what i want with it.. otherwise we would just be picking and chosing what we like best from the Bible...

Anyways...

hello again... i see you have all been having fun answering the questions :).. bizzarre answers that some of them are :help:... i have also noticed that some of you have strayed from the original point - just writing what things are good about you etc...

My point was, where do we stand regarding the Bible...

i guess some of the questions you could answer are

1. Would you consider yourself to be a good person?

a) have you ever told a lie?

b) have you ever stolen anything thats ANYTHING... ever?

c) Have you ever taken God's name in vain (used Jesus and God as a swear word)?

d) Ever looked at a member of the opposite sex with lust (or even thought of a member of the opposite or same sex with lustful thoughts)?

And the question following all that is... are you guilty of breaking ANY of these (just being only four of the ten commandments)? If yes - and i mean be honest here...

If you died tonight for example (as we do not kno for sure when we will die), and were before God, would He find you guilty or not guilty of breaking His moral law (above)?

on this basis will you go to heaven or hell?

(please bare in mind that God is described as good in the Bible - so if He is good, then He will have to judge the breaking of His laws (or His definition of good/bad, the way any other judge would - with justice.. His place of justice is Hell)

I hope you can ask these questions to yourself fairly: and more so answer them fairly..

If we are all honest, none of us can live up to the moral standard God has set...

But the great news is that someone came along and 'paid the fine' for your wrongs... stepped in to the judge and paid your bail for release.

"For God so loved the world that He gave His one and only Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish but have eternal life." (John 3:16)

After His death on the cross, He rose from the dead and defeated death

Please, its your choice, say sorry to God for the things you have done wrong (psalm 51 will help you), and place Your trust in Jesus, and GOD WILL GRANT YOU EVERLASTING LIFE - Then, read your Bible daily and obey it.

The Bible claims there is only one way to Heaven - through repentance and trust in Jesus Christ.

You surely owe it to yourself to discover how real this is.

The biggest gamble you can make is to say that there is no Hell.

anyways.. something for you all to chew on..

take care

BL

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
blinding_light said:
but the gospel is based also on doing what Christ asks... its not just a case of - its done, now i can do what i want with it.. otherwise we would just be picking and chosing what we like best from the Bible...

Anyways...

hello again... i see you have all been having fun answering the questions :).. bizzarre answers that some of them are :help:... i have also noticed that some of you have strayed from the original point - just writing what things are good about you etc...

My point was, where do we stand regarding the Bible...

i guess some of the questions you could answer are

1. Would you consider yourself to be a good person?

a) have you ever told a lie?

b) have you ever stolen anything thats ANYTHING... ever?

c) Have you ever taken God's name in vain (used Jesus and God as a swear word)?

d) Ever looked at a member of the opposite sex with lust (or even thought of a member of the opposite or same sex with lustful thoughts)?

And the question following all that is... are you guilty of breaking ANY of these (just being only four of the ten commandments)? If yes - and i mean be honest here...

If you died tonight for example (as we do not kno for sure when we will die), and were before God, would He find you guilty or not guilty of breaking His moral law (above)?

on this basis will you go to heaven or hell?

(please bare in mind that God is described as good in the Bible - so if He is good, then He will have to judge the breaking of His laws (or His definition of good/bad, the way any other judge would - with justice.. His place of justice is Hell)

I hope you can ask these questions to yourself fairly: and more so answer them fairly..

If we are all honest, none of us can live up to the moral standard God has set...

But the great news is that someone came along and 'paid the fine' for your wrongs... stepped in to the judge and paid your bail for release.

"For God so loved the world that He gave His one and only Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish but have eternal life." (John 3:16)

After His death on the cross, He rose from the dead and defeated death

Please, its your choice, say sorry to God for the things you have done wrong (psalm 51 will help you), and place Your trust in Jesus, and GOD WILL GRANT YOU EVERLASTING LIFE - Then, read your Bible daily and obey it.

The Bible claims there is only one way to Heaven - through repentance and trust in Jesus Christ.

You surely owe it to yourself to discover how real this is.

The biggest gamble you can make is to say that there is no Hell.

anyways.. something for you all to chew on..

take care

BL

I didn't say it was a matter of "now I can do what I want." Nor did I say that "we could just pick and choose what we like best from the Bible." The goal -- the point, if you will -- of being a Christian isn't to get yourself to heaven. The point of being a Christian is to 1) love God and 2) love your neighbor. as a Christian, I spend far more time and energy loving others than I do making sure I've go t my butt covered. Jesus has already covered my butt.

Because I have been shown this great love, I now have the responsibility to spread that love to others. It's not about doing what I want, it's about responding in the way I should. I don't just "pick and choose" from the Bible. I find that the message is (and you said it yourself) that "someone came along and 'paid the fine.'"

Am I a perfect person? No. But I am a forgiven person (and so is every other person!) How shall we respond to that good news? By loving in return? I hope so.

evearael

1. Would you consider yourself to be a good person? Yes
a) have you ever told a lie? Yes
b) have you ever stolen anything thats ANYTHING... ever? Yes
c) Have you ever taken God's name in vain (used Jesus and God as a swear word)? Yes
d) Ever looked at a member of the opposite sex with lust (or even thought of a member of the opposite or same sex with lustful thoughts)? Yes

"Give me chastity and continence, but not yet." Saint Augustine

blinding_light

sojourner said:
I didn't say it was a matter of "now I can do what I want." Nor did I say that "we could just pick and choose what we like best from the Bible." The goal -- the point, if you will -- of being a Christian isn't to get yourself to heaven. The point of being a Christian is to 1) love God and 2) love your neighbor. as a Christian, I spend far more time and energy loving others than I do making sure I've go t my butt covered. Jesus has already covered my butt.

Because I have been shown this great love, I now have the responsibility to spread that love to others. It's not about doing what I want, it's about responding in the way I should. I don't just "pick and choose" from the Bible. I find that the message is (and you said it yourself) that "someone came along and 'paid the fine.'"

Am I a perfect person? No. But I am a forgiven person (and so is every other person!) How shall we respond to that good news? By loving in return? I hope so.

Cool, glad to hear... sorry if i offended.. you will probably understand why i am doing this whole thread..

I also have been up against some tough cookies in the past that seem to think they can do what they want with the Bible, so i just felt i had to say what i did only for the sake of others. Apologies again.

Take care
BL