• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

are you a good person?

blinding_light

Lets take the good person exam. So you say you are a good person? then list what makes you a good person. Then lets compare that with God's word from the Holy Bible and see if what you think is Good really is against the backdrop of Gods Laws, (the ten commandments).

This is not an attempt to judge anyone! But it is an attempt to make people think about what the Bible says and where we stand if (and this question i put to you) the Bible is true in what it says...

The ten commandments act as a mirror to show us our lives in light of Gods laws... and results from this should show where we are destined to go - heaven or hell...

open to all! join in

look forward to your replies

BL

Atheist_Dave

*Foxy Lady*
Okay, here goes.

Things that make me a good person:

1) I am naturally very caring, I get very upset when people I love are feeling down or hurt and I try my best to help them.

2) I always assume the best in people, when I meet someone for the first time, I assume they are a nice person and try to get to know them, rather than labelling someone as soon as I see them, I think this is a good quality.

3) I am proud of who I am, I do not change for anyone or try to be something I am not.

4) I make the most of my life, I do not waste precious time with thinking about the afterlife or where I will go, if anywhere. I try to make my life as "good" as possible, hoping that when I die I will have made a small difference to someone's life, or the world, or both!

5) I am flamin' hawt stuff!

Edit: Ormiston sounds better than me so Im going to add another:

6) I am a better person than Ormiston :p

Ormiston

blinding_light said:
Lets take the good person exam. So you say you are a good person? then list what makes you a good person. Then lets compare that with God's word from the Holy Bible and see if what you think is Good really is against the backdrop of Gods Laws, (the ten commandments).

This is not an attempt to judge anyone! But it is an attempt to make people think about what the Bible says and where we stand if (and this question i put to you) the Bible is true in what it says...

The ten commandments act as a mirror to show us our lives in light of Gods laws... and results from this should show where we are destined to go - heaven or hell...

open to all! join in

BL

This sounds like fun! I'm a good person because:

* I haven't killed anyone, yet.
* I don't hit my daughter or my soon-to-be ex-wife
* I can hold a job down
* The only laws I reguarly break have to do with automobiles
* I have a lot of very close friends
* I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and daw-gonit, people like me
* I don't steel, but I have kept stuff I found and I'm terrible at returning things people lend me
* I drink too much
* I'm a smarta$$
* I like to be lazy and eat too much junk food
* I don't trust the criminals or the police
* I hate republicans and rednecks (well, only some of them)
* I don't tell my mother I love her enough
* I don't visit my father enough and he doesn't call enough
* I'm a good starter and a bad finisher

Ok....that's enough. How'd I do?

Faint

blinding_light said:

open to all! join in

BL
Not only am I a good person, I am the BEST person. Why?
1) Because I say so.
2) You can trust me on that.
3) I'm not a bad person.
4) You can trust me on that too.

Atheist_Dave

*Foxy Lady*
Well, some peopel just think they can hand out money and it makes any difference, well I'll tell you now, its folks like me that do the real work, the dogs dont even know who you are.... HA!

Ormiston

Atheist_Dave said:
I feed stray dogs at weekends, HA! Beat that!!!!

My 80 year old grandma and I share a box of cleanex at weddings...and we make bad jokes at funerals. She knows I'm good and that's all that matters to me!

Buttercup

Veteran Member
Ormiston said:
My 80 year old grandma and I share a box of cleanex at weddings...and we make bad jokes at funerals. She knows I'm good and that's all that matters to me!

If you were REALLY a good person you would take her shopping when she needs more DEPENDS and new bras!

My "goodness" is not derived from the bible. Nor is my goodness dependant upon my actions or beliefs being in accordance with the teachings of the bible or anyones interpretation there of.

My goodness is based upon what I do with my life and what I have. It has to do with my intent and purpose.

I strive each day to make the world I live in a better place. Steve Covey (an LDS man and author/motivational speaker) says in "the seven habits of highly effective people" that we have a sphere of concern and a sphere of influence.

As we work in our sphere of influence it grows to overlap and encompass more and more of our sphere of concern. Our sphere of concern also shrinks a bit to be more in harmony with our sphere of influence.

Make sense? Thats what I do. I work in my sphere of influence. It means I walk for causes when they are in my area and try to raise funds. I'd LIKE to donate a million dollars but I can't . So I do what I can.

This is just one example. It's not about what yo udon't do (thats part of it) but about what you DO do!

What do we do each day to make the world a better place in a real and tangible way?

Ormiston

Buttercup said:
If you were REALLY a good person you would take her shopping when she needs more DEPENDS and new bras!

If she asked....<sigh>, I'd do it. )(

And if you were a REALLY good person, you'd help her put em on! :biglaugh:

Atheist_Dave

*Foxy Lady*
Ormiston said:

Wow, I would love to be a fly on the wall when that was happening.... or not :s "hang" on.... *confused face*...

Buttercup

Veteran Member
Ormiston said:

NO, if you were a REALLY good person you'd help her take them OFF! :D

Atheist_Dave

*Foxy Lady*
Ormiston said:
:biglaugh: ....from the gay dude! I'm afraid to leave work now...I'll probably be attacked by midgets.

You have taken it one stage too far Mr! This means war!!!!! *Plots feverishly*