• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are you a believer?

Heyo

Veteran Member
Which ones? All of them?
No. But we must convince the unbelievers that we need more fractions. The Christians have 41,000+, how shall we ever compete when we don't start to build churches and split into denominations.

Jeremiah Ames

I believe that a clear daytime sky is blue.
I believe that 2+3 =5
I believe that humans don't know enough about the supernatural to make assertions about the Creator.

Do all of these beliefs qualify me as a believer, by your standards?
Tom
ONLY if you call yourself a believer.
You may notice that was mentioned in my op. ;)

Jeremiah Ames

Unbelief has become a form of belief. And they have their rules too. Like " you must show us the evidence"
or
"you must answer our questions to the letter of the law".
Perhaps, but I don’t see the people you speak of trying to influence politics to demand others to follow their misguided beliefs.
BIG difference.

Unfettered

A striving disciple of Jesus Christ
I have discovered something that seems to characterize some people.

Many of those who call themselves “believers” seem to believe in making many laws for non-believers to follow. Or another way to look at it: They believe they know how other people need to live their lives.

What do you think?

(I was a believer in 1966 when the Monkees wrote their song. Oops, now you know how old I am.)
The desire to control others through legislation is hardly limited to "believers." Why find fault with just one flavor of tyrant?

Unfettered

A striving disciple of Jesus Christ
Who are the believers? IYO.
I have only ever heard the term applied to people who believe in spiritual things that can't readily be seen, such as god, life after death, sin, the devil, etc. Such persons are "believers."

Audie

Veteran Member
I have only ever heard the term applied to people who believe in spiritual things that can't readily be seen, such as god, life after death, sin, the devil, etc. Such persons are "believers."
There's the believers in numerous unevidenced / unseen
of at least quasi religious nature, so its hard for
me to find " bright line" distinctions among the
various -isms, superstitions, orgznized religions,
ideologies.

My old uncle late of the Red Guard, still holds to
all of the Maoist garbage. DONT get him started!!

Idealists (see my ncle Lei) , all manner of social
engineer sorts are particularly dangerous.

Believers all, imo.

lukethethird

unknown member

Many of those who call themselves “believers” seem to believe in making many laws for non-believers to follow. Or another way to look at it: They believe they know how other people need to live their lives.

What do you think?

(I was a believer in 1966 when the Monkees wrote their song. Oops, now you know how old I am.)
Neil Diamond wrote I'm a believer.

Tinkerpeach

What do you think?

Everyone pushes laws that support their values, ethics, and morals not just believers.

It is how our system is designed.