• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are you a believer?

Milton Platt

I have discovered something that seems to characterize some people.

Many of those who call themselves “believers” seem to believe in making many laws for non-believers to follow. Or another way to look at it: They believe they know how other people need to live their lives.

What do you think?

(I was a believer in 1966 when the Monkees wrote their song. Oops, now you know how old I am.)

I have no problem with someone believing anything they wish as long as it infringes on no one else's life.

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
Can anything be known through reasoning out one's experiences all on their own. If so then everybody has something to say. At the level of belief everything is at the level of a test project.

At the level of faith, then that is where someone has put their trust due to perceived knowledge. I never thought religious people were merely magic faithing and make believing for no reason at all. On the contrary they have their own way of inferring from experience how they draw their conclusions. It wouldn't be scientific though.

In some ways I believe many things. In some ways I feel that I have perceptible knowledge that isn't official knowledge. But I do not try to officiate what I perceive to be true for anyone else.

If there is truth that can be had by everyone through reasoning out for themselves their own experiences. I think that's true of everyone.

Is there natural intelligence in nature. Yes, I believe so. Can I prove it, no, only for myself can I prove it must be. By other standards, no.

Iymus

Many of those who call themselves “believers” seem to believe in making many laws for non-believers to follow. Or another way to look at it: They believe they know how other people need to live their lives.

What do you think?

Act 15:13 And after they had held their peace, James answered, saying, Men and brethren, hearken unto me:

Act 15:19 Wherefore my sentence is, that we trouble not them, which from among the Gentiles are turned to God:
Act 15:20 But that we write unto them, that they abstain from pollutions of idols, and from fornication, and from things strangled, and from blood.
Act 15:21 For Moses of old time hath in every city them that preach him, being read in the synagogues every sabbath day.

----------------------

Trying the spirits "1Jn 4:1 "and seeking a bishop that meets the qualifications mentioned in 1 Timothy Chapter 3

Thief

Rogue Theologian

What do you think?

(I was a believer in 1966 when the Monkees wrote their song. Oops, now you know how old I am.)
O know a coworker.....thirty+years and going

They pay me to do stupid things
they will pay me to do stupider things
and as long as they pay me
I will do what I am told

You mean?......like that

sciatica

Notable Member
Unbelief has become a form of belief. And they have their rules too. Like " you must show us the evidence"
or
"you must answer our questions to the letter of the law".

questfortruth

Many of those who call themselves “believers” seem to believe in making many laws for non-believers to follow.
Moral laws are objective laws, like gravity.

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV

What do you think?
Those people will never follow a "real life" Spiritual Master, because such a Master will correct them straightaway; they never get away with this.

PureX

Veteran Member
Believing in our own righteousness is fun, easy, and feels good. All you have to do is ignore and dismiss all the ways in which you're ignorant, biased, or wrong. And who wouldn't want to avoid those? So the purveyors of religion often can't resist 'selling' this kind of self-righteousness to their adherents for power and profit, (politicians really like doing this, too) because it's so easy to do. It's just like selling any other 'feel-good' drug and it's not illegal. And once your 'addict' is hooked, they'll do whatever you want to keep that phony self-righteousness up.

Last edited: