• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are you a bad person if you don't find babies cute

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
It's been something I don't like to admit because I don't like the thought of getting a bad image in the mind of people (publicly).

But I do feel a little strange when I am around people who have babies and they are talking about how adorable they are. I simply cannot sympathize that thought. This does NOT mean I dislike babies, in fact I will play with them if they want me to. But I don't really find them cute, except sometimes the things they do is cute. When it comes to babies, though, I feel nervous around them because I don't know how fragile they are and I don't want to hurt them, and let alone I can't see a baby that has snot or anything like that on it (this also applies for anyone of any age).

I feel guilty that I don't. Many have said that for some people they need to have one of their own before this adoring feeling clicks in, is that true?

On the brighter side, it's quite the opposite with animals. I can't stop finding them adorable. In fact I often do scratch a sow's head at work, but a lot of people do not find sows cute. My friend calls me crazy because they could snap at any time, but I adore them so much that I can actually trust it. I do take precautions of course (beginning by petting the neck to see whether or not they actually want to be scratched before I go near the head). I guess that I can relate to animals a lot more than humans.

Is this more common than it seems? Anyone else have similar feelings? For those who have children; does this outlook offend you?

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
It's been something I don't like to admit because I don't like the thought of getting a bad image in the mind of people (publicly).

But I do feel a little strange when I am around people who have babies and they are talking about how adorable they are. I simply cannot sympathize that thought. This does NOT mean I dislike babies, in fact I will play with them if they want me to. But I don't really find them cute, except sometimes the things they do is cute. When it comes to babies, though, I feel nervous around them because I don't know how fragile they are and I don't want to hurt them, and let alone I can't see a baby that has snot or anything like that on it (this also applies for anyone of any age).

I feel guilty that I don't. Many have said that for some people they need to have one of their own before this adoring feeling clicks in, is that true?

On the brighter side, it's quite the opposite with animals. I can't stop finding them adorable. In fact I often do scratch a sow's head at work, but a lot of people do not find sows cute. My friend calls me crazy because they could snap at any time, but I adore them so much that I can actually trust it. I do take precautions of course (beginning by petting the neck to see whether or not they actually want to be scratched before I go near the head). I guess that I can relate to animals a lot more than humans.

Is this more common than it seems? Anyone else have similar feelings? For those who have children; does this outlook offend you?

Don't compare yourself to those of us who find babies cute. If you don't find babies cute, then you don't find babies cute. I have known a lot of people who did not really care about being around babies. It could be different if you decide to ever have your own child (I've known lots of people who didn't find other people's babies cute, but they did love their own babies).

Don't worry about it. There's nothing wrong with you at all.

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
Don't compare yourself to those of us who find babies cute. If you don't find babies cute, then you don't find babies cute. I have known a lot of people who did not really care about being around babies. It could be different if you decide to ever have your own child (I've known lots of people who didn't find other people's babies cute, but they did love their own babies).

Don't worry about it. There's nothing wrong with you at all.

I appreciate it, thank you! :hugehug:

That is a scary part. There's no way to tell if a person would find their own child cute (although I think that is very unlikely) until you have one. And just to add to the dilemma, I'm supposed to carry on the family name :D

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I think there are 'baby' people and 'not baby' people. Some people just feel uncomfortable around babies. They're afraid to hold them, afraid they may do something wrong, etc. Then there are others (like me) who just are in awe of babies because they are so helpless, and demonstrative of some real magic.. procreation. The other day I held my little granddaughter (just over a month old) for a couple hours while she slept. It was wonderful.

But it's fine that not everyone would enjoy that.

Last edited:

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
Well they do all seem to look like Winston Churchill. So I don't know.

This is true and I have 2 boys. I started to find them cute when they could walk before that they were just a job I had to do.

I took a lot of complaints when I expressed that they were not cute.

CynthiaCypher

This is true and I have 2 boys. I started to find them cute when they could walk before that they were just a job I had to do.

I took a lot of complaints when I expressed that they were not cute.

Infants have this scrunched up face like a bulldog and they look like they are mad at you from some reason.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
It's normal for younger and/or more emotionally immature people to not find babies cute. Finding babies cute generally goes along with paternal/maternal urges, which are generally a sign of more advanced emotional and psychological maturity. I didn't find babies cute in my early 20's either.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
There are some ugly babies that's for sure.
They all look like Winston Churchill on a good hair day, only without the accomplishments.

Babies are blobs of snot, neediness, ammonia, fear, and cuteness. Boy, is evolution powerful.

Full disclosure: I am not a parent.

Tom

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Eh, I'm racist with whether or not I find human babies cute. I almost never find white human babies cute or even remotely physically appealing and, in fact, quite repulsive. Babies of other races I feel more neutral towards, and, on rare occasions, I might actually call them cute (especially black human babies; something about them is beautiful). It's rather odd, considering I myself am a white pasty-face. One would think I'd be partial to my own race rather than finding it butt-ugly. But unlike Sum here, I hate human babies in addition to generally finding them butt-ugly. This makes it pretty easy to keep to my vow of never contributing to human overpopulation. Humans don't start getting cute until around age two or three.

CynthiaCypher

Eh, I'm racist with whether or not I find human babies cute. I almost never find white human babies cute or even remotely physically appealing and, in fact, quite repulsive. Babies of other races I feel more neutral towards, and, on rare occasions, I might actually call them cute (especially black human babies; something about them is beautiful). It's rather odd, considering I myself am a white pasty-face. One would think I'd be partial to my own race rather than finding it butt-ugly. But unlike Sum here, I hate human babies in addition to generally finding them butt-ugly. This makes it pretty easy to keep to my vow of never contributing to human overpopulation. Humans don't start getting cute until around age two or three.

There is nothing cuter than a Chinese baby.

6e0dc93b642d72de0311ffe574fb47cd.jpg

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Little sausages with short, pudgy limbs waving about ineffectually. Swollen, oversized heads. How does anyone find this cute?:shrug:
Cuteness doesn't appear till puberty.

On the other hand, I find other species' babies cute -- kittens, puppies, raccoons, aardvarks -- adorable!

Last edited by a moderator:

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
Little sausages with short, pudgy limbs waving about ineffectually. Swollen, oversized heads. How does anyone find this cute?:shrug:
Cuteness doesn't appear till puberty.

On the other hand, I find other species' babies cute -- kittens, puppies, raccoons, aardvarks -- adorable!

I don't know. I find human babies cute. The first few days after they are born, they don't look too endearing to anyone other than a mother, though. They are kind of wrinkled and don't do much else other than sleep.

ametist

Babies before year 1 are not cute and they are far too fragile thus cause a natural nerveousness when you are near them.normal.
When they are around year 1-3 their clothing is more cute than them thus parents pay all that money to loads of baby clothes.
Beyond year 3 they are litte humans and no reason why they should be particularly cute.

Last edited: