• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are we ready to find life on Mars in 2 years?

dianaiad

:)
of corse you will be exited.
Then you can say that the LDS's claim that life exists on other planets was foretold by us.
You know, the theory where LDS people will die and get their own planet where they will be god and will populate their own earth.

Uh...we don't actually believe that, but, er, carry on....

I am sitting on the edge of my seat waiting when the first LDS will walk to the Martian Rover and say: "Hi there Earthlings".

I rather imagine that any life found will be more along the lines of some sort of extremophile bacteria, but, er, carry on....

From my point of view, life on Mars will not change anything on me being a Bible believing Christian.

Well, we are Christians who believe in the bible, too, y'know, Just sayin'...don't let me get you off topic, though.

I think what the scientist wants to do is to say:
"We found life on Mars, this means evolution is true, now we have evidence that God does not exist!
This is the only reason why any atheist will even make the silly claims Green made!

Possibly. I don't quite get why you got all hot and bothered about my response, since I agree with you on what discovering life on Mars will mean...and what it won't mean.

He lives in a small world where the thought of a Creator burns and bubbles his mind every minute of the day.
The poor man.
if ever he tells me that, I will reply with Romans 8:21 to 23
:):cool:

That's nice. Doesn't really apply, but hey. Go for it. I just happen to think that it is utterly ludicrous to figure that God created the entire universe...all the galaxies, stars and planets in it, and only put life here.

Of course, we LDS types have also been told that He created many, many 'earths' (read, planets) like ours and put people(not necessarily 'homo sapiens') on them. (shrug) So we can't say "I told you so' until one of THOSE gets into contact with us, or we with them. Finding some bacteria in our own solar system, or not, won't, quite, count.

Ah, well.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

sealchan

Wow! What an incredible anticipation!
We here on Earth will be caught off guard because NASA will find life on Mars within the next 2 years!
We will not be able to handle this truth!

Dr Jim Green has warned that two rovers from Nasa and the European Space Agency (ESA) could find evidence of life within months of arriving on Mars in March 2021.
When -- or if -- NASA finds life on Mars, the world may not be ready for the discovery, the agency chief says - CNN
(CNN)NASA's next mission to Mars will be its most advanced yet. But if scientists discover there was once life -- or there is life -- on the Red Planet, will the public be able to handle such an extraterrestrial concept?

NASA chief scientist Jim Green doesn't think so.
"It will be revolutionary," Green told the Telegraph. "It will start a whole new line of thinking. I don't think we're prepared for the results. We're not."

I can only laugh at this poor highly educated fool!
he makes it out as iff everyone here on Earth will somehow realize that we all will need to get some psycho therapy IF NASA finds evidence of life!
What does this guy imply?
That perhaps all the people on Earth who ever believed in a Creator will now somehow go in depression and commit suicide?
I remember how old Gilbert Levin claimed that he discovered life on Mars in 1976 when NASA sent the Viking Rovers there. Test after test proved that there was a glitch and error in the initial test, and all scientists up untill today know that Levin did not discover life.

This old foolish man just never could accept the truth, and went on, and on, and on about his "Evidence".

Now we have a new Jester in the court!
Jim Green.
And he is so sure that he determines we will find life in the next 2 years!!!!

My question is:
If 2 years pass, will Jim Green be able to handle the truth?
perhaps the whole scientific comunity will have too book appointments with their therapists 2 years from now, else they will turn into little Gilbert Levin's!

Even when one has the worlds best education and experience, you still need to gain wisdom.
I would like to know if there are others out here that also noticed this silly scientific claims being spread around and what does it mean to you?

I'm afraid that after years of watching Star Trek I will not be as properly excited about such a discovery as I would like to be. On the other hand I have been fascinated by a coffee table book I have which has landscape photos taken by the Mars rover...the pictures aren't Ansel Adams but I am still amazed to have a book with actual photos of the horizon from another world.

Ouroboros

Coincidentia oppositorum
Anyhow, I am sure there is no life on Mars.
Science so far agrees with that statement.
I rather say that discoveries agree with that, almost, so far. I think there was some findings suggesting to that there most likely was life at some point in the past.

Furthermore, I know there is no life on any other planet in the Cosmos, except here on Earth.
You know...

Uhm... there are more than 20 sixtillion stars in the universe. 100's of billions of galaxies. You can't know.

You can believe and be convinced, but you can't know.

SA Huguenot

Well any discovery will be over your head obviously, so I wouldn't worry too much about it if I were you. Just stick to beating up the kaffirs. :D
Well, I never did that.
The only time I ever used violence against any black man was in Namibia and Angola where they had AK 47's.
And, as for the K- word, it is now illegal in South Africa to use it. Even if you just use it on social media, you will face jailtime upon your return.
And what I can not understand is that the Quran uses the K word, and even has a chapter called the K word, but no one worries about that!
It seems to only be a law against White minority people.
All I say, be carefull what you say, you might get into trouble.
And why did you automatically assume that I beated up Black people?
I am a Christian pal, I believe to do good to those in my life.

Ouroboros

Coincidentia oppositorum
Well any discovery will be over your head obviously, so I wouldn't worry too much about it if I were you. Just stick to beating up the kaffirs. :D
First I read Kefir (a probiotic drink). LOL!

Don't know why you would beat up the yogurt. It didn't do anything to you!!! :p

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
So, We should accept your methodology that there are Life somewhere else in the Universe, except here on Earth!

How did you arrive at that twisted belief? I didn't say we have to visit every object to verify there is no life, but a good sampling would do, and we haven't even remotely touched a fraction of possible places where life might exist.

And we should only deny this claim untill all the planets were searched and found void of life!
Serious?

I don't think you have a clue as to what serious means.

I would love to see your reaction if I ask the same methodology to prove God does not exist!
Therefore, just as you say: "But I suppose a religious world-view informs one of such things so no bother."
I can reply: "But I suppose a Atheist world-view informs one of such things so no bother!"

I'm sure you could prove black equals white if you quoted from your favourite religious text. Hardly interests me at all. Religious texts don't tend to deal with scientific explanations - but that is why you can claim life doesn't exist elsewhere - not written in the good book is it not?

And I doubt any atheist is affected either way by there being life elsewhere or not - I certainly wouldn't be - but the chances of us being the only life (on Earth) is extremely remote in my view - given what we know about interactions between planetary bodies.

Last edited:

SA Huguenot

It didn't mention monkeys, apes, giraffe, polar bears, ...

It didn't mention black holes, supernovas, galaxies, ...

It didn't mention bacteria, virus, DNA, ...

It didn't mention computers, AI, VR, networking, ....

It didn't even solve Fermat's last theorem.
Did you read the Bible too see if it does not mention all of the above?

exchemist

Veteran Member
Well, I never did that.
The only time I ever used violence against any black man was in Namibia and Angola where they had AK 47's.
And, as for the K- word, it is now illegal in South Africa to use it. Even if you just use it on social media, you will face jailtime upon your return.
And what I can not understand is that the Quran uses the K word, and even has a chapter called the K word, but no one worries about that!
It seems to only be a law against White minority people.
All I say, be carefull what you say, you might get into trouble.
And why did you automatically assume that I beated up Black people?
I am a Christian pal, I believe to do good to those in my life.
There's a touch of the Dutch Reformed about you, I feel, and that church has form. But I note what you say.

As for kafir, it has a variety of meanings in Arabic, I understand, to do with something covered. One of the senses in which it is used is an unbeliever. This term was, I gather, applied by Arab traders in Africa to the local black people, who were obviously not muslims. From there it was adopted as a slang term for blacks by the Afrikaners and came to acquire negative connotations. This is just as with "negro" in the Americas, which is simply Spanish for black, or indeed nig(g)er, which is Latin for black. Both should thus be neutral in meaning, but they are not any longer.

So the use of kafir in the Koran, unlike its use in S Africa, has no racial overtones. That will be why nobody objects to it in the muslim context.

So your hypothesis that it is a law against the white minority is groundless.

SA Huguenot

Ok, on your theory.
How did you arrive at that twisted belief? I didn't say we have to visit every object to verify there is no life, but a good sampling would do, and we haven't even remotely touched a fraction of possible places where life might exist.
We as humans visited the Earth, the Moon, Venus, and Mars.
we found life on one.
Wow there must be life on other planets.
Our sample gives a 25% propability.
Billions and billions of stars and planets and moons, then a quarter must have life!

How about Pascal and de Fermat's calculations.
one planet has life, chances 100%
one out of 2 heaven bodies have life....50%
one out of 3 heaven bodies have life...33%
One out of the whole universe has life, what is the possibility to find life on another planet?

sampling works for me.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Ok, on your theory.

We as humans visited the Earth, the Moon, Venus, and Mars.
we found life on one.
Wow there must be life on other planets.
Our sample gives a 25% propability.
Billions and billions of stars and planets and moons, then a quarter must have life!

How about Pascal and de Fermat's calculations.
one planet has life, chances 100%
one out of 2 heaven bodies have life....50%
one out of 3 heaven bodies have life...33%
One out of the whole universe has life, what is the possibility to find life on another planet?

sampling works for me.

Not get a decent maths education - one that involved statistics? :D

Try getting that, and some science qualifications, before spouting on about the chances of finding life elsewhere.

Sampling works for me too - which is why we must leave the question open - rather than your pathetic assertion.

Current thinking has it that most stars have planets around them. How does that compare to the few we have visited?

SA Huguenot

So the use of kafir in the Koran, unlike its use in S Africa, has no racial overtones. That will be why nobody objects to it in the muslim context.
The word Kafir in the Quran does have its root meaning to cover, but the Arab meaning in giving the Black people the name Kaffir is "Heathen", or "Non Believer"
They call anyone not Muslim "Kaffir"
The White people arrived in South Africa, and found the Name for black people to be Kaffir, it was not thought out by us, or invented, but this was the name the Muslims gave them and the Portuguese continioued to do.
making it a racial slant, I do not agree with you at all.
The Afrikaner decided to leave the word Kaffir, and called the Black man Bantu, which means Human, we called the Naturell, which means indigenous, yet all these names are offensive to the Black man. Today we just call the Black man, Sir or Ma'am.
I was called a Christian, which was a slant in Greece; Hugueonot, which is a slant in France; Boer, which is a slant by the Brittish, Afrikaner which is a word no one want to agree exists anymore, and every name possible, yet my ancestors made the slant a glorious description by the example they set.
Funny how intellect can perceive a descriptive name offensive or beautifull.
And, please dont tell me the word Kaffir is a good word to the Muslims!
I am proud to be called a Kaffir, even though I am white in South Africa.
It means I detest Muhammad and Allah.

SA Huguenot

I've read the whole Bible three times, and the New Testament 10 times, and in multiple languages.

I used to be a devout Christian and creationist.
Nice, did you see the Bible describes Tennis and Formula 1 racing?
Oh, as well as Volkswagen Beetles?

exchemist

Veteran Member
The word Kafir in the Quran does have its root meaning to cover, but the Arab meaning in giving the Black people the name Kaffir is "Heathen", or "Non Believer"
They call anyone not Muslim "Kaffir"
The White people arrived in South Africa, and found the Name for black people to be Kaffir, it was not thought out by us, or invented, but this was the name the Muslims gave them and the Portuguese continioued to do.
making it a racial slant, I do not agree with you at all.
The Afrikaner decided to leave the word Kaffir, and called the Black man Bantu, which means Human, we called the Naturell, which means indigenous, yet all these names are offensive to the Black man. Today we just call the Black man, Sir or Ma'am.
I was called a Christian, which was a slant in Greece; Hugueonot, which is a slant in France; Boer, which is a slant by the Brittish, Afrikaner which is a word no one want to agree exists anymore, and every name possible, yet my ancestors made the slant a glorious description by the example they set.
Funny how intellect can perceive a descriptive name offensive or beautifull.
And, please dont tell me the word Kaffir is a good word to the Muslims!
I am proud to be called a Kaffir, even though I am white in South Africa.
It means I detest Muhammad and Allah.
I repeat: kafir in the sense it is used in the Koran has no racial overtones.

dianaiad

Anyhow, I am sure there is no life on Mars.
Science so far agrees with that statement.
Furthermore, I know there is no life on any other planet in the Cosmos, except here on Earth.

That's quite a statement. HOW do you know? I mean, really; there is nothing at all in the bible that tells us that there isn't life anywhere else, period, and even if it did...it doesn't, but even if it did, it's faith/trust, not 'knowledge.'

Shoot, you don't even KNOW that the sun is shining right this minute. How the heck do you KNOW that there isn't any life anywhere else?

I mean, really; we find life on earth in places that boggle the mind; places humans absolutely could not survive in; ice in the poles, acid lakes that would strip the flesh from your bones, volcanoes, fumeroles on the sea bed...

So...how can you possibly KNOW?

For one thing, you'd have to check each and every planet, planetoid, star and all the area between those things to check.

Given what you have said here already, I don't think you believe in direct revelation of scripture nowadays (if I'm wrong about that, please forgive me and correct me). So..

How do you know?

dad

Undefeated
Good heavens, what a diatribe! If life is discovered on Mars, what will happen to you? As to me, personally, I will be excited...especially if the DNA (or whatever it uses) is similar to ours. Or if it isn't. Either way, it's exiting.

Would your faith be destroyed by such a discovery? Mine wouldn't.

It also wouldn't if they didn't find life.

I think they will.
Probably ejecta from the flood year ended up there, including ice/water. This probably carried remnants of life, micro fossils or etc. No surprise if we find that on Mars.

dianaiad

Probably ejecta from the flood year ended up there, including ice/water. This probably carried remnants of life, micro fossils or etc. No surprise if we find that on Mars.

Hmmn....isn't there a theory out there that life drifted down here FROM Mars?

(shrug)

Whatever, it is what it is. I'm not worried about it, except that finding out new things is very cool.

Ouroboros

Coincidentia oppositorum
Something to make clear, there's a lot of organic matter like amino acids and such in space. We know this already, so it's not a huge stretch to think that there could be more complex organic structures, and even microscopic life, at least. Besides, if God created this enormously gigantic universe only for the purpose of having life on a single minuscule planet somewhere, it's just mind-boggling wasteful. God could at least have created animals, creatures, insects, bacteria, and such all over.