• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are We All Related?

loverofhumanity

We are all the leaves of one tree
Premium Member
This thread is dedicated to the Twin Birthday Anniversaries of the Two recent Manifestations of God - the Bab and Baha'u'llah Who came to bring humanity together in peace and unity by the teaching that we are all one human family.

Baha'u'llah says:

"The utterance of God is a lamp, whose light is these words: Ye are the fruits of one tree, and the leaves of one branch. Deal ye one with another with the utmost love and harmony, with friendliness and fellowship. He Who is the Day Star of Truth beareth Me witness! So powerful is the light of unity that it can illuminate the whole earth. The one true God, He Who knoweth all things, Himself testifieth to the truth of these words."

A dear friend sent me this video today which is awesome and I found it very inspiring and hope you all do as it helps us all to see that despite our differences of colour, nationality, religion and thought, we are all connected to each other.

According to Baha'u'llah we are all related spiritually and in this video we are also related physically.

We may all be 'distant cousins' physically.!!

psychoslice

Veteran Member
Only on one level are we related through gens, but on the ultimate level we are all One, we are not separate, collectively we are God, but to divide yourself from the Source and call yourself god, is to miss the mark.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
i see the separation....you are there....I am here

and more so....I do not hear voices in my head
my thoughts are my own

Monk Of Reason

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
We are all related but we didn't spawn from a single pair of mates. We have genetic Adam and Genetic Eve. But they were most likely not in the same area and not within a few thousand years of each other.

Monk Of Reason

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
How on earth do you know that is true ?.
Are you aware that your Mitochondrial DNA differs slightly from your regular DNA and it is passed down through the mother only? Similarly the Y chromosome is only passed down through men. So we find the ancestor of our Y chromosome and we find the ancestor of our Mitochondrial DNA. There are a few different opinions on the exact time that they were around but it is mostly universally accepted that they were not on the earth at the same time even remotely. Especially since the nature of the study finds the origin of our current Y chromosome and mitochondrial DNA there would be no reason to assume that they would have mated.

This is also not the actual "Adam" or "Eve". They were not the first humans but simply the least common denominator so to speak genetically for the human race.

psychoslice

Veteran Member
Are you aware that your Mitochondrial DNA differs slightly from your regular DNA and it is passed down through the mother only? Similarly the Y chromosome is only passed down through men. So we find the ancestor of our Y chromosome and we find the ancestor of our Mitochondrial DNA. There are a few different opinions on the exact time that they were around but it is mostly universally accepted that they were not on the earth at the same time even remotely. Especially since the nature of the study finds the origin of our current Y chromosome and mitochondrial DNA there would be no reason to assume that they would have mated.

This is also not the actual "Adam" or "Eve". They were not the first humans but simply the least common denominator so to speak genetically for the human race.
There was no Adam or Eve, there was I suppose a blob of whatever, and over many many years, presto, here we are, no god is needed.

Monk Of Reason

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
There was no Adam or Eve, there was I suppose a blob of whatever, and over many many years, presto, here we are, no god is needed.
If we want to go through the whole thing back to abiogensis then we start with self replicating proteins that gradually became more complex. So yeah no god needed. But if we wanted to talk more locally we have a basic understanding of the tract of human evolution at the very least to our common ancestor with the chimpanzee.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Recent study suggests:

"All humans are 99.9 per cent identical and, of that tiny 0.1 per cent difference, 94 per cent of the variation is among individuals from the same populations and only six per cent between individuals from different populations..."
Each human/animal/vegetation is unique, but they are all composed of the same atoms - carbon, hydrogen, oxygen, calcium, etc. And if you see beyond that, then physical energy.

The Emperor of Mankind

Currently the galaxy's spookiest paraplegic
Each human/animal/vegetation is unique, but they are all composed of the same atoms - carbon, hydrogen, oxygen, calcium, etc. And if you see beyond that, then physical energy.

As Delenn in Babylon 5 once said: "We are star stuff. We are the Universe made manifest, trying to figure itself out."

Jedster

If we know we are star-stuff, then major portion is already figured out. The rest is a matter of clarification. :)
as the songsays
"....
I don't know who l am
But you know life is for learning
We are stardust
We are golden
And we've got to get ourselves
Back to the garden.."

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
One thing DNA sampling hasn't figured out is our spiritual nature.

When "spiritual" gets defined in a way that is actually relevant to genetics and science, then perhaps geneticists will care to figure out its supposed "nature." As it stands, "spiritual" is a nebulous word devoid of scientific meaning and is thus not part of scientific inquiry.

loverofhumanity

Premium Member

When "spiritual" gets defined in a way that is actually relevant to genetics and science, then perhaps geneticists will care to figure out its supposed "nature." As it stands, "spiritual" is a nebulous word devoid of scientific meaning and is thus not part of scientific inquiry.

Yes that's right Quintessence but there's something somewhere, maybe our spirit or soul that distinguishes us from other life forms as we can use reason and logic and things like scientific investigation, worship God and do a host of things no other species can do.

We can ignore our own senses and build, explore, research and invent and discover, travel to the planets, meditate etc. it doesn't show up in our DNA I don't think.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Yes that's right Quintessence but there's something somewhere, maybe our spirit or soul that distinguishes us from other life forms as we can use reason and logic and things like scientific investigation, worship God and do a host of things no other species can do.

We can ignore our own senses and build, explore, research and invent and discover, travel to the planets, meditate etc. it doesn't show up in our DNA I don't think.

That... has not been my observation of the world. Sorry. It is, sad to say, very anathema to my religion to put human persons on a pedestal like that. And by "anathema" that's a more polite way of saying it's probably the closet equivalent you'll get to "cardinal sin" as you can get for me. :sweat:

loverofhumanity

Premium Member

That... has not been my observation of the world. Sorry. It is, sad to say, very anathema to my religion to put human persons on a pedestal like that. And by "anathema" that's a more polite way of saying it's probably the closet equivalent you'll get to "cardinal sin" as you can get for me. :sweat:

Which person is being put on a pedestal? I was speaking about human DNA and whether they might find something unique about human DNA which might explain why we can do things that animals can't. Maybe I wasn't clear so I humbly apologise.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Which person is being put on a pedestal?

Human persons... as opposed to non-human persons, like oak trees, blue jays, local rivers, great rocks, fox squirrels, etc. I do not see humans as some categorically distinct biological organism on this planet - both because I'm an animist and because I'm a biological scientist by training. The so-called divide between humans and other organisms (or nature in general) doesn't hold up to scientific scrutiny, and is also anathema to an animistic worldview that recognizes "persons" does not just mean "humans."

It was probably me being unclear. I get that animism is foreign in Western minds, as is the level of scientific literacy required to feel that the "divide" is false.