• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are transgender/transsexual people accepted in your religion?

Are trans people accepted in your religion?

• Yes

Votes: 29 70.7%
  • No

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • Maybe (explain in thread)

Votes: 3 7.3%
  • Other (explain in thread)

Votes: 7 17.1%

• Total voters

Prestor John

What if the soul's gender is the opposite of that of their body through some mishap?
That has never happened nor will it ever happen. God is not the author of confusion.

God has set in motion a plan that can lead all of His children to eventual perfection and eternal life.

We are eternal beings having a mortal experience. The weaknesses of the flesh are temporary and can be overcome in this life by relying on the Lord Jesus Christ, the Son of God, our Savior and Redeemer.

Prestor John

So where should a person go to study the eternal truth that "each of us had a gender as spirits and our gender is an eternal characteristic that can never be changed"?
What cannot be clarified in the scriptures can be addressed by the Lord's authorized servants on the Earth today.

The First Presidency and Council of the Twelve Apostles of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints in "The Family: A Proclamation to the World" declared many things related to this issue. The most relevant being:

"All human beings—male and female—are created in the image of God. Each is a beloved spirit son or daughter of heavenly parents, and, as such, each has a divine nature and destiny. Gender is an essential characteristic of individual premortal, mortal, and eternal identity and purpose."

You can read the entire proclamation here:

The Family: A Proclamation to the World

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
That has never happened nor will it ever happen. God is not the author of confusion.

God has set in motion a plan that can lead all of His children to eventual perfection and eternal life.

We are eternal beings having a mortal experience. The weaknesses of the flesh are temporary and can be overcome in this life by relying on the Lord Jesus Christ, the Son of God, our Savior and Redeemer.
Who said God would be responsible for it? I didn't. It would be a birth defect.

Skwim

Veteran Member
What cannot be clarified in the scriptures can be addressed by the Lord's authorized servants on the Earth today.

The First Presidency and Council of the Twelve Apostles of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints in "The Family: A Proclamation to the World" declared many things related to this issue. The most relevant being:

"All human beings—male and female—are created in the image of God. Each is a beloved spirit son or daughter of heavenly parents, and, as such, each has a divine nature and destiny. Gender is an essential characteristic of individual premortal, mortal, and eternal identity and purpose."

You can read the entire proclamation here:

The Family: A Proclamation to the World
So, in as much as nothing is said about ones gender necessarily coinciding with one's sex I assume the church has no problem baptizing and accepting a transgender person into the church. Good for them. :thumbsup:

BTW, your link doesn't work.

Liu

I am curious where you got this perception from the idea that Good Deeds, which is literally doing good, is not a universally accepted thing. Of course the definition of doing good changes over the times and ages, but in general what most western monotheistic traditions see as doing good, is right up the same path as the Zoroastrian route. In the ancient world, and early medieval world, Zoroastrians were incredibly tolerant people. The governments were something else entirely, but the people didn't care too much because the focus of Zoroastrianism was not on what came after, but rather how you acted in this life. So I am a little perplexed where you got the idea that Trans people, would not be accepted.
What I was meaning was that the definition changes over time and differs between cultures.

Where I got the idea from is how women were treated among them. There were for example laws which forbade a woman during her menstruation to leave a specific part of her home and to touch anything besides food brought to her.
With such an attitude towards completely natural aspects of sexuality, I would be very surprised if less normal forms of sexuality would be any more welcome.

Not claiming that this would apply in any way to modern Zoroastrianism.

Prestor John

Who said God would be responsible for it? I didn't. It would be a birth defect.
God placing the incorrect spirit inside someone's physical body would be His responsibility and it sounds more like a "spiritual" defect.

Our physical bodies are prone to weakness and sin, which can include delusions, such as believing you are a member of the opposite gender.

I'm not sure if this delusion should be labelled a "birth defect" but it this and other delusions that people can suffer from are "defects", or "thorns" in our flesh.

We can lessen the effects of these "thorns" or even completely overcome them by relying on Christ. Feast upon His words. Commit ourselves to following His example.

Prestor John

So, in as much as nothing is said about ones gender necessarily coinciding with one's sex I assume the church has no problem baptizing and accepting a transgender person into the church. Good for them. :thumbsup:
The Church does not subscribe to the idea that the words "gender" and "sex" describe different things and uses them synonymously.

The Church recognizes only two genders, male and female, and also considers them to be the only two sexes.

The proclamation I shared clearly stated that,

"Gender is an essential characteristic of individual premortal, mortal, and eternal identity and purpose."

Our gender (or sex) is an "essential characteristic" of our "identity and purpose" which spans throughout our "premortal, mortal and eternal" lives.

We were created as a specific gender (or sex), male or female, before we entered into this world and it is an "eternal" aspect of our being.

However, all this being said, you are correct that the Church does baptize and accept those who consider themselves to be transgender, although they may not be found worthy to hold the Priesthood or enter the Temple if they commit sexual sin or elect to undergo gender/sex reassignment surgery.
BTW, your link doesn't work.
That's weird. It works just fine for me. At home and at work.

It's an easy fine on google though.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
That has never happened nor will it ever happen.
How can you verify this when a few members here stating they really do not identify as the sex they were born as and that is not the gender they are?
God is not the author of confusion.
The only ones who are confused are the people like you who don't bother to learn about this stuff and insist we are the ones who are confused. We are not confused. We know ourselves. You, on the other hand, are no different than someone of yesteryears trying to turn a left-handed person into a right-handed person.
We can lessen the effects of these "thorns" or even completely overcome them by relying on Christ. Feast upon His words. Commit ourselves to following His example.
Trying to rely on Christ to make it better made things so much worse. It threw me into such a downward spiral that by the time I left the church mentally I was so damaged that I became suicidal (with an attempt), abused alcohol and took any pills put in front of my, and even got into some crime and thievery.
You truly have no idea what you are talking about. You are telling this group they must go on living as they were born, even though probably well over half of this group would sooner and more eagerly and willing jump in front of a speeding train.

Kelly of the Phoenix

Nonsense since He had no sin.
For starters:
1. Dishonoring parents
2. Theft/vandalism
3. Bigotry
4. Assault
5. Hypocrisy

Orthodox Jews who live in the sorts of communities I describe don't have to run.
Hiding is really the same as running, though.

Explain how Eve gets the rule wrong when talking to the lizard. God can't even make the very first couple of rules period clear.

And some of His children's perfection involves having a broader concept of gender.

The weaknesses of the flesh are temporary and can be overcome in this life by relying on the Lord Jesus Christ, the Son of God, our Savior and Redeemer.
Even Jesus had to take a poop. Believing in himself didn't change that.

Or those who are claiming to be authorized, as there is no heavenly certification board we can call about it or anything.

Our physical bodies are prone to weakness and sin, which can include delusions, such as believing you are a member of the opposite gender.
You can actually measure the hormones in the brain and the genitals and see if they coincide, though. It's not just people fancying themselves the other gender.

The Church does not subscribe to the idea that the words "gender" and "sex" describe different things and uses them synonymously.
The Church is not authorized by Webster. :p

The Church recognizes only two genders, male and female, and also considers them to be the only two sexes.
But since it's clearly false ...

"Gender is an essential characteristic of individual premortal, mortal, and eternal identity and purpose."
Not sure Jesus agrees. Not only is there Matt 19:12, but there isn't even marriage in heaven, as we will all be gender neutral anyway.

Skwim

Veteran Member
This seems a bit absurd, redefining a word to suit its purposes.

However, all this being said, you are correct that the Church does baptize and accept those who consider themselves to be transgender, although they may not be found worthy to hold the Priesthood or enter the Temple if they commit sexual sin or elect to undergo gender/sex reassignment surgery.
Isn't or wasn't this true of African Americans as well, not being permitted to "hold the Priesthood"?

That's weird. It works just fine for me. At home and at work.
It's an easy fine on google though.
Retried it and it now works fine. :shrug: Go figure.

Prestor John

This seems a bit absurd, redefining a word to suit its purposes.
Yes, the liberals are absurd for trying to change the definitions of the words "sex" and "gender."

Yes, those words can mean different things.

For example, "sex" could also refer to the act of intercourse and "gender" could also refer to societal or cultural roles and behavior, however both words could still be used to describe either male or female.

Therefore, in the context of this discussion, the proclamation of the Family, and transgenderism, the Church uses the words "sex" and "gender" synonymously.
Isn't or wasn't this true of African Americans as well, not being permitted to "hold the Priesthood"?
There was a long period in the Church when African members were not entitled to hold the Priesthood, officiate in certain callings or participate in Temple ordinances.

It began soon after the martyrdom of the Prophet Joseph Smith. his successor, Brigham Young, claimed to have received revelation to begin the ban. No reason was given. Spencer W. Kimball received revelation to lift the ban in 1978.

However, anyone who commits sexual sin may be unworthy to receive the Priesthood or enter the Temple. That is not just for transgendered peoples.

Then considering the LDS belief int he spirit being engendered and the Church placing a lot of emphasis on members fulfilling the roles of husband, wife, father mother - so gender reassignment surgery could also affect a member's worthiness.
Retried it and it now works fine. :shrug: Go figure.
Those internets can be weird sometimes.
Tho

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Hiding is really the same as running, though.
Glad I'm not the only one who says this. When has such a tactic ever improved things?
They're not hiding either. They're living in accordance with their principles. They don't need Jesus or ham sandwiches, and they don't need to send their kids to a school where they're likely to have to deal with either of those things.
If that's the only way to deal with bullies and preserve your traditions, are they worth preserving?
Yes, the liberals are absurd for trying to change the definitions of the words "sex" and "gender."
Show where it was liberals who changed the definition of these words.

Poisonshady313

If that's the only way to deal with bullies and preserve your traditions, are they worth preserving?

The issue of bullying, in the context of this discussion, is secondary to what was originally brought up by Tumah, and that is keeping one's self out of an atmosphere where transgression of Jewish law is normal. Observing the sabbath, keeping kosher, avoiding frivolous expressions of popular culture (you don't find many Hasidic Jews listening to today's top hits or going to the movie theater), etc... certainly are traditions worth preserving.

And if that means not sending your child to a public school where their peers eat cheeseburgers and go out to the movies on friday nights, I can't find anything wrong with that. I wouldn't call that hiding. I call that being responsible.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Fragile faith must be sheltered. Robust faith can weather any storm.
And what can be hoped to ever be accomplished by being sheltered? It leaves little wonder as to why, still after so many hundreds and thousands of years, people remain suspicious of Jews and hold to some very old prejudices and fallacies about them.
There are many, many things out in this society I don't like or "approve" of. Oh well. I don't have to watch brain rotting TV instead of reading. I don't have to cease going on about how pathetic celebrity worship is. I don't have to sell out or forfeit my values to go out in the world. Living in Indiana, statistically I should be eating pork at least once every day, if not with every meal, but I rarely eat it even though it's all around me and very encouraged. And for the bullies? They won't beat me back into the closet and out of their site.

Poisonshady313

And what can be hoped to ever be accomplished by being sheltered? It leaves little wonder as to why, still after so many hundreds and thousands of years, people remain suspicious of Jews and hold to some very old prejudices and fallacies about them.

People observing their religion in a way that's less likely to result in their children violating the laws of their religion makes it ok to be suspicious and hateful towards them? A people maintaining their cultural heritage in a manner that's unlikely to have them assimiliated is a reason to be suspicious and hateful towards them?

Are you telling me that antisemitism is the Jews' fault because they prefer not to immerse themselves in things that are forbidden to them?

There are many, many things out in this society I don't like or "approve" of. Oh well. I don't have to watch brain rotting TV instead of reading. I don't have to cease going on about how pathetic celebrity worship is. I don't have to sell out or forfeit my values to go out in the world. Living in Indiana, statistically I should be eating pork at least once every day, if not with every meal, but I rarely eat it even though it's all around me and very encouraged. And for the bullies? They won't beat me back into the closet and out of their site.
Are you a child? If not, I fail to see how this is relevant.