• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are there Hellenistic religious believers today (Greek Mythology believers)

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
They are still Gods and Hellenic Pagans still worship Them. Prometheus was always a favorite.

That is odd considering they were overthrown before man and therefore are impersonal for the most part. Not to mention a lot of them were known for being cruel. I don't see how anything can come out of worshipping a Titan.

Saint Frankenstein

Gone
Premium Member
That is odd considering they were overthrown before man and therefore are impersonal for the most part. Not to mention a lot of them were known for being cruel. I don't see how anything can come out of worshipping a Titan.

The Hellenes didn't and don't take the myths as literal. There's myths where Zeus is seen as cruel, such as when He flooded the Earth and wiped out humanity, but Prometheus saved our species.

The Titans are just the first generation of Hellenic Gods. There's nothing wrong with worshiping Them.

The Sum of Awe

The Hellenes didn't and don't take the myths as literal. There's myths where Zeus is seen as cruel, such as when He flooded the Earth and wiped out humanity, but Prometheus saved our species.

The Titans are just the first generation of Hellenic Gods. There's nothing wrong with worshiping Them.

Is there evidence that they didn't? It seems like they did at least to a certain extent considering their practices.

I don't recall if I said it in my last post, but I am not saying Titans are all bad, but a lot of them are. And there is nothing wrong with worshiping them, just that there is no reason to. Even for Prometheus, they are not in power. Let alone, it doesn't seem fit for Prometheus's personality to accept worship - he was more of a humanist than a leader.

Saint Frankenstein

Gone
Premium Member
Is there evidence that they didn't? It seems like they did at least to a certain extent considering their practices.

Why would you assume that an advanced culture such as the Greeks would take as literal their mythology? Most of the myths were actually plays and poems. Certainly the more educated classes wouldn't have viewed them as being literal.

I don't recall if I said it in my last post, but I am not saying Titans are all bad, but a lot of them are. And there is nothing wrong with worshiping them, just that there is no reason to. Even for Prometheus, they are not in power. Let alone, it doesn't seem fit for Prometheus's personality to accept worship - he was more of a humanist than a leader.

Not all of the Titans were imprisoned in Tartarus and some myths say that Zeus eventually freed Them.

I revere Prometheus as one of the many forms of the Light Bringer, so that's very much your opinion.

Sees

Dragonslayer
Just to add some...

Pagan myths being taken as literal, simplistic, in your face accounts is something cooked up around Christianization and it kept right on going in traditional classical education. Myths are magically multi-layered and complex. They could be used to praise/glorify/honor Gods, teach a moral lesson, highlight spiritual truths about the nature of ourselves/existence/worlds, entertain, celebrate and remember key events/times, etc. all simultaneously. It's very important to see as it goes hand in hand with their concepts of multi-layered, complex, and dynamic cosmos, reality, existence - it's a reflection.

The more educated, initiated, gifted, and so on - the more layers are perceived and understood. Only way myths and legends truly come alive and light up heart, mind, and soul. Besides religious outsiders wanting to degrade and criticize, only some common folk among the masses would grasp the simplistic, literal take. It makes it all the more confusing when some popular world religions at large are deemed properly taken in with literalism. Doesn't apply universally though.

Saint Frankenstein

Gone
Premium Member
Just to add some...

Pagan myths being taken as literal, simplistic, in your face accounts is something cooked up around Christianization and it kept right on going in traditional classical education. Myths are magically multi-layered and complex. They could be used to praise/glorify/honor Gods, teach a moral lesson, highlight spiritual truths about the nature of ourselves/existence/worlds, entertain, celebrate and remember key events/times, etc. all simultaneously. It's very important to see as it goes hand in hand with their concepts of multi-layered, complex, and dynamic cosmos, reality, existence - it's a reflection.

The more educated, initiated, gifted, and so on - the more layers are perceived and understood. Only way myths and legends truly come alive and light up heart, mind, and soul. Besides religious outsiders wanting to degrade and criticize, only some common folk among the masses would grasp the simplistic, literal take. It makes it all the more confusing when some popular world religions at large are deemed properly taken in with literalism. Doesn't apply universally though.

Well put! :clap

It's actually a form of slander, as if the pre-Christian peoples of the world were a bunch of idiots with a hollow, simplistic and literalist spiritual worldview.

Bunyip

pro scapegoat
What I find most compelling about the old gods is that we can relate to them.

The pagan gods are like us, they have weaknesses and failings, they can be jealous, cruel or benevolent - just like us. As opposed to the monotheistic god Yahweh, or Allah who is far more abstract, mysterious and unknowable entity entirely.

Saint Frankenstein

Gone
Premium Member
What I find most compelling about the old gods is that we can relate to them.

The pagan gods are like us, they have weaknesses and failings, they can be jealous, cruel or benevolent - just like us. As opposed to the monotheistic god Yahweh, or Allah who is far more abstract, mysterious and unknowable entity entirely.

That's a very good point. :yes: The monotheist religions enforce standards that humans can never hope to adhere to, which is a very useful tool for enslaving people to guilt, shame and failure.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
I'd also keep in mind that the perception of various gods as "cruel" towards humans is often irrelevant in Paganisms in general. This isn't classical monotheism where god is by definition omnibenevolent. Paganisms are much more guttural than that; the gods are accepted for what they are, and not expected to revolve around humanity such that they give two $#@% about our condition. That some gods are adversarial or conflict with humanity is not seen as cause to not worship them.

Saint Frankenstein

Gone
Premium Member
I'd also keep in mind that the perception of various gods as "cruel" towards humans is often irrelevant in Paganisms in general. This isn't classical monotheism where god is by definition omnibenevolent. Paganisms are much more guttural than that; the gods are accepted for what they are, and not expected to revolve around humanity such that they give two $#@% about our condition. That some gods are adversarial or conflict with humanity is not seen as cause to not worship them.

I certainly have a disdain for certain deities based on how they treat humanity and side with the deities who treat humans in a positive manner, as you can guess. But I do see your point.

The Sum of Awe

Why would you assume that an advanced culture such as the Greeks would take as literal their mythology? Most of the myths were actually plays and poems. Certainly the more educated classes wouldn't have viewed them as being literal.

To some extent, yes. I imagine it would be similarly as literal as religions are viewed today by religious people. Their practices indicate that most of their gods and goddesses were believed in and revered, the accompanying myths probably weren't taken literal (by everyone).

Taking this back to the original point - this doesn't mean the downfall of titans or the wrath
of Zeus weren't considered metaphorical. Even today, much more advanced, there are people who believe in the biblical flood story and that Satan had been cast from Heaven quite literally. To claim the Greeks didn't because they had some sense is a very broad claim. I do agree, though, that not all of it was even written to be literal.

Not all of the Titans were imprisoned in Tartarus and some myths say that Zeus eventually freed Them.

I revere Prometheus as one of the many forms of the Light Bringer, so that's very much your opinion.

That is very much your opinion that he is one of many forms of a light bringer, or still is currently. But the worship of Titans, according to how they were commonly viewed in ancient belief systems, is utterly meaningless whether or not they were released of Tartarus. I don't know of any legends that mention the Titans as being still in power, and that fact alone is enough to say there is not much, if anything, to come of worshipping them. Especially if they are taken metaphorically.

Saint Frankenstein

Gone
Premium Member
To some extent, yes. I imagine it would be similarly as literal as religions are viewed today by religious people. Their practices indicate that most of their gods and goddesses were believed in and revered, the accompanying myths probably weren't taken literal (by everyone).

Taking this back to the original point - this doesn't mean the downfall of titans or the wrath
of Zeus weren't considered metaphorical. Even today, much more advanced, there are people who believe in the biblical flood story and that Satan had been cast from Heaven quite literally. To claim the Greeks didn't because they had some sense is a very broad claim. I do agree, though, that not all of it was even written to be literal.

Abrahamic monotheism and indigenous religions are extremely different when it comes to the treatment of mythology. They are not seen as some literal "word of God/s" that must be interpreted such and such way. There were a plethora of cults and mystery paths in the Hellenic world. Basically, almost every kind of approach was represented.

That is very much your opinion that he is one of many forms of a light bringer, or still is currently. But the worship of Titans, according to how they were commonly viewed in ancient belief systems, is utterly meaningless whether or not they were released of Tartarus. I don't know of any legends that mention the Titans as being still in power, and that fact alone is enough to say there is not much, if anything, to come of worshipping them. Especially if they are taken metaphorically.

I'm not sure why you're trying to turn this into an argument. Do you practice Hellenic religion? No. So why are you getting all rude and trying to tell Hellenic polytheists what their focus of worship should or should not be? I think you need to take a step back.

von bek

Kronos, the king of the titans, was considered by some to have been released from Tartarus by Zeus and then became king of the isle of the blessed. There were cult centers for his worship and there is even an Orphic hymn dedicated to him:

Orphic Hymn 13 to Cronus (trans. Taylor) (Greek hymns C3rd B.C. to 2nd A.D.) :
"To Kronos, Fumigation from Storax. Eternal father, mighty Titan, hear, great sire of gods and men, whom all revere; endued with various counsel, pure and strong, to whom increase and decrement belong. Hence matter’s flowing forms through thee that die, by thee restored, their former place supply [reincarnation]. The world immense in everlasting chains, strong and ineffable thy power contains; father of vast eternity, divine, O mighty Kronos, various speech is thine; blossom of earth and of starry skies, husband of Rhea, and Prometheus wise. Obstetric power and venerable root, from which the various forms of being shoot; no parts peculiar can thy power enclose, diffused through all, from which the world arose. O best of beings, of a subtle mind, propitious hear, to suppliant prayers inclined; the sacred rites benevolent attend, and grant a blameless life, a blessed end [passage after death to Elysion]."

CRONUS : Greek Titan king of heaven, god of time ; mythology ; pictures : KRONOS, SATURN

Saint Frankenstein

Gone
Premium Member
Selene, Helios and Eos were also worshipped.

I think this clarifies the different between the Titans and the Olympians well:

" My view of the classical myths of the Olympians taking over the Cosmos is more a metaphor for man’s views on itself rather than a spiritual allegory. What I mean by that is that the Titans embodied large etheral things, theyre the Gods of cardinal directions, astronomy and physical and metaphysical attributes like time and menstruation. This are all thing our ancient nomadic ancestors would have appreciated and revered. The Olympians however represent high civilization. They are the Gods of commerce, justice, war and skilled trades. Thus my view on the story (and much more in depth, the supposed hierarchy of the Gods) is that it represents man’s victory over base nature by inventing civilization."
Hellenismos and Me

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة
I am by no means espouse of the belief in gods or mythical beings but I am a major fan of Hellenic mythology and do use it as a basis for expressing myself.
Hellenic culture is the basis for most knowledge in American today along with Europe. I like using Greek mythical beings or gods for many purposes and I find it natural to do so considering the vast majority of the English language is Latin or Greek.

Orbit

I'm a planet
Playing God of War got me interested in Greek Mythology so much. Now, if I didn't know much science I'd probably make myself believe in them, just to be cool.

This made me wonder if there are still Greek Hellenists today.

I know a guy on another forum who worships the Greek pantheon, so yes they exist.

DayRaven

Beyond the wall
Prometheus has always been of deep interest to me. I find Greek mythology and religion to be fascinating. I don't think it coincidental that the society which produced these myths also spawned the pre-Socratics.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Not to mention a lot of them were known for being cruel. I don't see how anything can come out of worshipping a Titan.

Necroing a thread just to point out that it's not unique.Many a Jotun are closely associated with the Aesir and are even counted among the Aesir... Loki; Aegir (not sure about his wife Ran); Hymir, making Tyr 1/2 Jotun if Hymir is accepted as Tyr's father; Skadhi; Gerd; Grid; Jarnsaxa; Jord; Magni and Modi, Thor's sons are half Jotun by Thor and Jarnsaxa.