• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are there Hellenistic religious believers today (Greek Mythology believers)

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
Playing God of War got me interested in Greek Mythology so much. Now, if I didn't know much science I'd probably make myself believe in them, just to be cool.

This made me wonder if there are still Greek Hellenists today.

Mata

Insert Witty Title Here
Playing God of War got me interested in Greek Mythology so much. Now, if I didn't know much science I'd probably make myself believe in them, just to be cool.

This made me wonder if there are still Greek Hellenists today.
Yup :yes:
Hellenic paganism is being revived and reconstructed by various groups. Especially in Greece and the U.S.A from my understanding.

There's actually a few organizations if I recall correctly.

Ravenheart

Seeker
Yes I can confirm that being Greek myself and as I have checked everything about Hellenic Recon. I can also confirm that games, especially this one are created to attract the uneducated audience and possibly fascinate them by the powers of the gods. However I tell you, that first you should read Ησίωδου Θεογωνία (Hesiod's Theogonia) and then start searching about Hellenic Recon.

El_Majusi

Theodosius forbade the beautiful Hellenic cult in the IVth century. When you forbid to believe to an ancient and true belief to the people, the rebirth of that belief will be an impressing and incredible rebirth. It will happen for Hellenism, like it begins to happen for Zoroastrianism!

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
What are these people called though because I'm really curious.

They call themselves different things. Those that are interested recreating historically authentic practice might variously call themselves Hellenes, Hellenic Reconstructionists, Hellenic Polytheists, Hellenic Pagans/Neopagans, Olympianists, or something else that I'm missing.

Those who incorporate the Greek pantheon into their path but are not so much about the historical recreation might add the prefix Hellenic in front of whatever the rest of their path is, and some of those labels might be the same as the ones used by the folks above.

Yes. I wouldn't say "believe in Greek mythology", since many people who believe in the Ancient Greek deities don't take mythology literal but believe in those deities.

There's lots of Pagans that include them in a more ecclectic way in their worship but among the ones that are more historically accurate or adhere mainly to that pantheon, they're called Hellenic Reconstructionists (recons for short), Hellenic Polytheists, and other things too.

Do some searching, you'll find lots of websites dedicated to the subject if you're curious. I was an Hellenic Polytheist for several years so if you have any questions, feel free to ask, too.

Don't they have strong connections to the far-right, though? :sarcastic

They call themselves different things. Those that are interested recreating historically authentic practice might variously call themselves Hellenes, Hellenic Reconstructionists, Hellenic Polytheists, Hellenic Pagans/Neopagans, Olympianists, or something else that I'm missing.

Those who incorporate the Greek pantheon into their path but are not so much about the historical recreation might add the prefix Hellenic in front of whatever the rest of their path is, and some of those labels might be the same as the ones used by the folks above.

I've never heard of "Olympianists" but "Hellenes" is actually a bit controversial. Technically, that just means "Greek", and so some Greek people have come forward to explain that it's a bit vague to call yourself that since technically nowadays that's not the main religion in Greece.

GoodbyeDave

do they have forums like this, too?
Yes, indeed:
hellenismos.us

And while browsing, try visiting
LABRYS : Hellenic Religious community
Hellenion
neosalexandria | Alexandria Reborn
Neokoroi - the Temple Keepers

There's a lot of it about!

To sum up belief:
There is one God, the ruler and father of all things, and many gods, children of God, ruling together with him. (Maximus of Tyre)
Born of himself, untaught, motherless, unshakable, not contained in a name, many-named, dwelling in fire: this is God. We, his emissaries, are a small part of God. (Apollo, through his oracle at Claros)

Alt Thinker

Older than the hills
I was brought up on Bullfinch and Hamilton and can appreciate the power of the mythology of the Greeks. I find all these years later that the depth of feeling I have for those tales actually exceeds what I feel about the Christianity in which I was raised. I believe it is because with few exceptions the Biblical stories were presented as history, yet lacked much credibility. But Perseus, Jason, Hercules, Hector, Odysseus - these live in a timeless realm where I do not need to believe in them as mundane matters of fact. They offer archetypes of ideals - courage, heroism, honor, loyalty - yet are simultaneously human with all the flaws and foibles that entails. They are images I could both look up to and still recognize myself in them. And that told me I, I could hope to be brave and heroic and honorable and loyal if I continued to try. This is what myth is: a highly polished mirror of life showing us what matters not just today or tomorrow but for all time.

* Steps down. Pushes soapbox back under bed. *

Bunyip

pro scapegoat
I'm an atheist, but have a deep love for the Greco-Roman pantheon and have raised my son according to it's principles.

So I guess I do believe. I believe that those gods, demigods and men and the parables that describe and define them are a beautiful, sophisticated and meaningful philosophy.

I don't see how any of it necessarily conflicts with atheism either - the pagan traditions tend to place no emphasis or importance on historicity or apologetics whatsoever.

Whether Zeus for example is real or not is completely irrelevant,to the moral lessons taught through parables about him. In fact to ask if Zeus really existed or not would be to entirely miss the point.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
I was brought up on Bullfinch and Hamilton and can appreciate the power of the mythology of the Greeks. I find all these years later that the depth of feeling I have for those tales actually exceeds what I feel about the Christianity in which I was raised. I believe it is because with few exceptions the Biblical stories were presented as history, yet lacked much credibility. But Perseus, Jason, Hercules, Hector, Odysseus - these live in a timeless realm where I do not need to believe in them as mundane matters of fact. They offer archetypes of ideals - courage, heroism, honor, loyalty - yet are simultaneously human with all the flaws and foibles that entails. They are images I could both look up to and still recognize myself in them. And that told me I, I could hope to be brave and heroic and honorable and loyal if I continued to try. This is what myth is: a highly polished mirror of life showing us what matters not just today or tomorrow but for all time.

* Steps down. Pushes soapbox back under bed. *

Beautifully stated! :clap The Greek myths were my first love.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Hellenic spirituality has had the biggest influence on my personal spiritual views. So, yes - I believe in Hellenism.