• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are Rosaries another lie

Neuropteron

Rosaries:
When I was a child they used to be ubiquitous, in some countries they still are.

They are used mainly by Catholic devotees to mechanically tell a prayer upon each bead.

There never was any question in my mind as to their origin, everyone "knew" it was of Catholic origin, even the Pope was wearing one. And everyone knew that to use one in prayer was a sign of piety and a sure way for our prayers to be heard.

But that is a lie.

Because the fact is, that it was not introduced by the papacy , and is not supported by the bible.
Rather it is an old instrument of pagan worship.

The Rosaries was used as a sacred instrument among the ancient Mexicans.
It is commonly employed among the Brahmans of Hindustan.
In Tibet it has been used since time immemorial.
It was used in China, in Asiatic Greece and in Pagan Rome.

With the Rosaries the mechanical and mindless repetition of prayer and incantations is introduced, another Pagan practice.

Do you think this practice is in direct contradiction to Jesus words (Mat6:7) and a hindrance to the need of approaching God with clear mind and heart ?
Or rather do you agree with the practice of using instruments such as the rosary to attract God's attention.

Kelly of the Phoenix

Rosaries:
When I was a child they used to be ubiquitous, in some countries they still are.

They are used mainly by Catholic devotees to mechanically tell a prayer upon each bead.

There never was any question in my mind as to their origin, everyone "knew" it was of Catholic origin, even the Pope was wearing one. And everyone knew that to use one in prayer was a sign of piety and a sure way for our prayers to be heard.

But that is a lie.

Because the fact is, that it was not introduced by the papacy , and is not supported by the bible.

With the Rosaries the mechanical and mindless repetition of prayer and incantations is introduced, another Pagan practice.

Do you think this practice is in direct contradiction to Jesus words (Mat6:7) and a hindrance to the need of approaching God with clear mind and heart ?
Or rather do you agree with the practice of using instruments such as the rosary to attract God's attention.
Seems more like a perfectly fine memory tool. Why hate on it?

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
But that is a lie.

Those insidious ********!

On the other hand, I took a few moments to scan Wikipedia: History of the Rosary only to discover that they totally failed to document where the Catholic Church lied and claimed it was biblical. Perhaps you could provide a reference?

epronovost

Actually rosary as used by the Christian were largely introduced by the Desert Fathers, a sect of monastic early Christian from the 3rd century, but these were actually prayer ropes as beads would have been too luxurious for acetic monks. It wasn't used outside of monastic tradition until the Middle Ages. You will have to wait until the 16h century to see a pope endorse the practice and make its use common place in amongst Catholic. It has no link to similar religious tools used by other Eastern faiths. That's just a coincidence or a form of convergent innovation based on religious ascetism.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
Contrary to what Matthew appears to suggest, the gospel of Luke shows that Jesus spends much time in prayer. He prays all night more than once, and he sometimes rises early to pray. It is as Jesus is praying in Luke 3:21 that he sees heaven open. Its not when he's doing various things. The prayer prepares him or is the means or is part of the experience, and it appears that this prayer takes an extended amount of time not just a moment.

Just before Jesus chooses his twelve apostles he spends all night in prayer -- not ten minutes or a minute. He spends all night. (Luke 6:12) So he does go on and on doing something, something either meditative or with words spoken or perhaps sitting quietly listening. Possibly he is reciting. It doesn't specify how he prays but only that it is all night long.

I look at Genesis 24:63 in which Isaac goes out into a field to meditate. It doesn't say what he meditates about, but sometimes prayer means meditation towards self transformation. Many people do this, Roman Catholics among them. They think, ponder. This can be a type of prayer, and this is one of many things not spelled out in scripture but which I think is easy to see if we remove the common assumptions and things imposed upon the text.

The Rosary is, as I understand it, something along the lines of a meditative tool. With each bead something is said, but the person is also meditating. I don't know all about it just that. I suppose if it were merely talking that it might be babbling, but its not mere babbling. Its also not for show.

Glaurung

Denizen of Niflheim
Rosaries:

But that is a lie.
The use of prayer beads or knotted ropes long predates the modern Rosary. But the Rosary itself is of Catholic origin. Tradition says it was given to Saint Dominic by the Blessed Virgin in a vision. Pious legends aside there's no reason to posit anything insidious about its development. As I have just said, the use of Rosary like devices goes back to very early Christian practice.

By pagan you mean anything which does not fit within the Watchtower Society's myopic vision of what Christianity is meant to be. Sure, perhaps pagans did and do use similar devices in their devotions, I know Muslims do. But that does not mean the idea of prayer counters is in itself bad.

The Rosary is not an incantation. And you're meant to pray with attention mediating on prescribed biblical scenes (mysteries).

No.

What is prayer but attention to God? The Rosary is just a prayer. Only in the fevered imaginations of modern day puritans is there anything insidious about it.

Last edited:

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Rosaries:

But that is a lie.

No. It's not about the object but the prayer. Buddhists uses malas when they pray and meditate. I mean one can question if the catholic's heart is set out on the purpose of the prayer or just doing rhythmic motions (does a person really love his parent by saying I love you everyday... is it invalidated by how many times he says it).. that type of thing.

Viker

Häxan
Rosaries:

But that is a lie.

So, people using beads during ritualistic prayer can't be universal?

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Rosaries:

But that is a lie.

Don't knock pagan practices!

To them we owe
the Eucharist,
Easter eggs,
the midwinter festivals that became Christmas,
having a shrine to your household gods in your home,
the doctrine of souls and postmortal judgment to heaven or hell ,
the philosophical basis for the Trinity​
and so much more!

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
upload_2021-7-1_6-3-46.png

This one is example of praying beads muslims use.
It is to keep count of how many times a muslim have said the zikr