• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are Rosaries another lie

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
As a former Catholic, I now feel saying the rosary is just a mechanical, repetitious ritual, rather than actually communication with God. The Catholic Church seems to a have a history of incorporating pagan practices.

Can I ask?

How did your prayers with the rosary change in validity of your prayers when using the beads compared to not using the beads?

In other words, did the beads invalidate your prayers?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Or it just creates an atmosphere conductive to prayer.

I think it's kind of common sense. Going to church, using the bible, praying in a closet (my co-worker does this), and lighting a candle with family before praying and eating all create an atmosphere of sacredness. I think they miss the point of the beads, statues, et cetera.

Last edited:

lostwanderingsoul

Or it just creates an atmosphere conductive to prayer.
Let me just ask. If someone said he needed objects of some kind to "create an atmosphere conducive" to calling his mother or brother or aunt on the telephone, would that maybe sound a little strange? So why would one need a special atmosphere to talk to God? And if someone said he calls his father everyday and says "How are you. How ar you. How are you" over and over many times, would that seem a little strange? So why is it necessary to say "Our Father Our Father Our Father" over and over 20 or 30 times? Is God really happy to hear that or does he think it is a little strange? Who can say? God might answer your prayer if you say it enough times but not if you only say it once?

InChrist

Free4ever
Can I ask?

How did your prayers with the rosary change in validity of your prayers when using the beads compared to not using the beads?

In other words, did the beads invalidate your prayers?
It’s not just the beads, although using beads seems like an unnecessary fetish. Who uses beads to have conversation with a friend or loved one? Why should anyone use beads to talk to God or repeat the same rote words over and over again. What kind of conversation is that or way to speak to Someone you love and respect?
I think God desires we speak to Him in a normal, real and expressive way.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
It’s not just the beads, although using beads seems like an unnecessary fetish. Who uses beads to have conversation with a friend or loved one? Why should anyone use beads to talk to God or repeat the same rote words over and over again. What kind of conversation is that or way to speak to Someone you love and respect?
I think God desires we speak to Him in a normal, real and expressive way.

It seems that the beads are throwing you off. Why would god have a problem with using beads to focus on prayers?

Years ago, I used to write my prayers like writing a letter. I couldn't "hear" god, so I wrote. It would be odds for the biblical god to throw the pencil away and toss the beads and force us to speak.

It's not about the beads.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
@InChrist wouldn't it be odd god would tell a deaf/blind person not to use tactile objects to focus on prayers?

Is this tool invalidating his prayers?

If not, how does sighted/hearing person make a difference...if yes, how should he pray?

PearlSeeker

Let me just ask. If someone said he needed objects of some kind to "create an atmosphere conducive" to calling his mother or brother or aunt on the telephone, would that maybe sound a little strange? So why would one need a special atmosphere to talk to God? And if someone said he calls his father everyday and says "How are you. How ar you. How are you" over and over many times, would that seem a little strange? So why is it necessary to say "Our Father Our Father Our Father" over and over 20 or 30 times? Is God really happy to hear that or does he think it is a little strange? Who can say? God might answer your prayer if you say it enough times but not if you only say it once?
What about having a date with your beloved one? Don't you wear special clothes? Go to a special place? Repeat many times "I love you", "You are beautiful" etc.?

PearlSeeker

Using any object, such as beads or statues or candles, to pray makes me think of two things. 1. You have to get God's attention before he can hear you pray. or 2. You have to repeat a pray many times before God will hear it. I think both these ideas are wrong. If God cannt hear you unless you do something to get his attention and you repeat your prayer many times, then you are praying to the wrong God.
Or 3. It's just a ritualistic object/reminder/sign. Search for "tzitzit" (Jesus also wore one) and "tefillin" for example.