• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are rich people more unethical?

blackout

Violet.
For the most part,
The haves and the have nots would be financially unethical in different ways.
In the end, I think the rich have many more ways of (potentially) employing unethical economics
to their own benefit.
It's just the nature of the thing.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Just questioning the objectivity of the person doing the research. It is easy to find support for anything and overlook a ton of other data, what do they call that data mining?
The derivative drivel of confirmation bias, perhaps?

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
I am surprised that we have got three pages in this thread and no one has asked what the definition of rich is.

Personally, I believe this is subjective and boils down to people who have more money than you.

With the middle class becoming less prevalent, I believe many of them are looked upon as rich.

To me, being rich is the ability to not work if you want, live where you like, and have the ability to travel anywhere at any time.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I am surprised that we have got three pages in this thread and no one has asked what the definition of rich is.

I think the studies suggest that rich is rich enough to be more or less independent of the judgements of other people. But I could be mistaken about that.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
I think it depends on how one obtained their wealth, and how they perceive themselves, their position in society, and society itself. Some may feel a disconnect from society, and an undue sense of self-importance and superiority (even if they were born into wealth and hadn't done anything personally to earn it). Just take a look at the various class/caste systems throughout history, sweat shops, how nobility had regarded and treated serfs, etc.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I was once far less than wealthy. I was ethical.
I was once rich. By that time, I was more ethical, but it was more due to experience.
Then I lost a bunch in the crash. I remained just as ethical.
I hope to be rich again some day. I'll take the risk that I might backslide. We shall see.

Last edited:

dust1n

Zindīq
I was once far less than wealthy. I was ethical.
I was once rich. By that time, I was more ethical, but it was more due to experience.
Then I lost a bunch in the crash. I remained just as ethical.
I hope to be rich again some day. I'll take the risk that I might backslide. We shall see.

Obviously, not the humblest bunch. :drool:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Yes, how rich is rich?
Symptoms of being rich
You not only know what Balsamic vinegar is, you buy the fancy grades.
When someone remarks about Thurston Howell The 3rd's accent, you say, "What accent?".
You carry gold coins in your car to toss at children you run over.
When you drink soda pop, you don't even dilute it with water so it lasts longer.
You like wine, but you've never heard of Three Buck Chuck.

Symptoms of being a cheapskate

You buy Winking Owl at Aldi cuz 3 Buck Chuck is too spendy.

Last edited:

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I think one of the more interesting things about the studies in question is that they suggest anyone put in a position of extreme wealth would be prone to act less ethically.

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
Symptoms of being rich
You not only know what Balsamic vinegar is, you buy the fancy grades.
When someone remarks about Thurston Howell The 3rd's accent, you say, "What accent?".
You carry gold coins in your car to toss at children you run over.
When you drink soda pop, you don't even dilute it with water so it lasts longer.
You like wine, but you've never heard of Three Buck Chuck.

Symptoms of being a cheapskate

You buy Winking Owl at Aldi cuz 3 Buck Chuck is too spendy.

Well, I used balsamic vinegar on my salad tonight, but that's as close as I get to being rich I guess!

So I MUST be ethical - except for that part of me that likes balsamic vinegar.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Well, I used balsamic vinegar on my salad tonight, but that's as close as I get to being rich I guess!

So I MUST be ethical - except for that part of me that likes balsamic vinegar.

What about the child slaves that are forced to work in the balsam mines?

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
What about the child slaves that are forced to work in the balsam mines?

Well, I feel really bad for them. Especially the ones who have to be locked up in the barrels of vinegar for at least 12 years, toiling away in the dark in that tiny space.

It strips them of their childhood. But that's not my problem.

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
I think one of the more interesting things about the studies in question is that they suggest anyone put in a position of extreme wealth would be prone to act less ethically.
I respectfully disagree with the study. I believe a person put in a position of extreme wealth could afford to act more ethically.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I think they need to define, describe, and then demonstrate their method of measuring ethics.
In Revoltistan, we have these.
Just insert the probes in conveniently available 'ports'.
Ethic-Meter.png