• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are people who claim to know God liars?

What do you think of people who claim knowledge of God

• They are liars

Votes: 5 7.8%
  • They are self deluded

Votes: 17 26.6%
  • Of course we have knowledge of God

Votes: 23 35.9%
  • Other, I suppose in case someone feels there's a better position to take.

Votes: 19 29.7%

• Total voters

Super Universe

Defender of God
My criticism of Religion is the claim to know anything about God, at all.

My position is man knows nothing about God. I assume this is the default position of atheists. Am I wrong?

People who say God is whatever... loving, all powerful, Just, merciful, has a plan for all of us etc.
From whence does this knowledge about God come from?

I know nothing about God and neither do you. You can have faith that God possesses whatever properties you feel God should possess, but based on what? Imagining if a God did exist, this is what God ought to be like?

You have the Bible, Quran etc... So why do you feel these folks were in any better position than you to have knowledge about God.

Not that I'm going to go about calling believers liars. I just think they feel a certainty that they don't actually possess.

Your criticism is that anyone can know anything about God at all? And you would know because of all the places you've visited in the universe and all the universal training schools you've attended? Or, is that you just think you are smarter than you really are and don't have a clue?

Your position is that man knows nothing about God? Does the sun shine? Does the rain fall? Do humans tend to laugh, cry, love, fight, and befriend? Just because you are ignoring the obvious doesn't mean the rest of us are.

From whence does this knowledge come from? If you don't get it, then you don't get it. Go on with your primitive life.

You know nothing about God? But why did you think you would know as much as I or the next person? What important work could you do if you knew the truth? Would you be like Paul or would you refuse?

I can have faith? Did you think we needed your permission? We don't.

Why do I feel the writers of religious books were in a better position than I to have knowledge about God? Because they were. You were not chosen because it would have been a waste of effort.

Let me guess, you did not get that special toy you wanted one Christmas so you're all pissed off about it and so there can't be a God, right? Primitives are always so predictable.

Not that you are going to go about calling believers liars? So you're going to change the topic title then?

DavidFirth

Did God tell you this or is this a doctrine of your religion?

If I honestly read the Bible, I find it vague enough to find an interpretation which could support what "God" has revealed to me. Finding a way to interpret scripture to fit my experience was not much of a hindrance. Yet based on all of this, I still found it difficult to get Christians to agree much on anything about God. All of them sincere. All of them willing to show how the Bible supported their experience of God yet there is little unity among Christians when it comes to God.

In fact I used to pray for understanding of a troubling passage that Christian would argue over. The answer would be given to me which made to me all the sense in the world. Which also made most them other Christians wrong. So this accept this as truth revealed to me by God even though other Christians claimed the truth revealed to them didn't agree?

Endless arguments among Christians about scripture supporting their knowledge about God. All sincere, all true believers.

This is Biblical, to answer your question.

You're not going to twist the Bible around to advocate murder, adultery, etc. People have tried but they're not fooling Christians who know the Bible and believe it should be absolutely adhered to.

Super Universe

Defender of God
Does that include or not include a God.

I followed a Hindu Guru for a few years. I could actually see/hear the God I was taught to meditate on.

When I was a Christian, I had a personal relationship with Jesus. When a Druid, I saw the nature spirits dancing.

Which was my real experience of God?
Which was your real experience of God? All of them.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member

I followed a Hindu Guru for a few years. I could actually see/hear the God I was taught to meditate on.

When I was a Christian, I had a personal relationship with Jesus. When a Druid, I saw the nature spirits dancing.

That depends on your paradigm of faith.

If you have a personal relationship with Jesus, you would subscribe that nature spirits were either demons or angels but not God.

If you have a personal relationship with Jesus, you would double check that what you heard God say in meditation didn't violate God's words and thus test the spirits...

If you are Hindu and you believed in many gods, you would probably subscribe that they are all gods.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Humility makes it work. You just don't put yourself above others. You recognize that you can be wrong.

I recognize I could be wrong, you could be wrong, the Pope could be wrong. So we base our knowingness on what? That any individual could be wrong in their claims about God?

Guess what... That's where I am. We could all be wrong about God. Where's the knowledge? Where's the validation that anyone is right about God?

Jumi

None of them, since you still haven't found "God".

Jeremiah Ames

My position is man knows nothing about God. I assume this is the default position of atheists. Am I wrong?

People who say God is whatever... loving, all powerful, Just, merciful, has a plan for all of us etc.

I know nothing about God and neither do you. You can have faith that God possesses whatever properties you feel God should possess, but based on what? Imagining if a God did exist, this is what God ought to be like?

You have the Bible, Quran etc... So why do you feel these folks were in any better position than you to have knowledge about God.

Not that I'm going to go about calling believers liars. I just think they feel a certainty that they don't actually possess.

This is a great question.
I would have to say it is impossible for a human to know God, just as it is impossible for us to see him.
Knowing the characteristics of Jesus is another matter , since we have eye witness testimony of his life on earth.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
But you, on the other hand, mount your soapbox to claim that every single person to profess knowledge of god is either delusional or dishonest. One would think that only an arrogant fool would prance around infected by such certainty.

Last edited:

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Which was your real experience of God? All of them.

I've gotten to the point that I can create any experience of God. God can be whatever I create God to be and I can have the experiences to support that creation.

As an atheist, I create no God, and that's what I experience. I find God to be dependent on what I choose God to be. If I can create whatever experience I want, how can I trust that to be the truth.

My experience of God or no God depends entirely on me. That's the truth I find. So rely on that or rely on what someone else tells me, assuming they are not simply floating in a boat of their own making. I know I made my boat.

Last edited:

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
I recognize I could be wrong, you could be wrong, the Pope could be wrong. So we base our knowingness on what? That any individual could be wrong in their claims about God?

Guess what... That's where I am. We could all be wrong about God. Where's the knowledge? Where's the validation that anyone is right about God?
Yes! That is absolutely right and is part of the concept of having no one but God over you. There's no proof God exists and no validation that you are more right. There is only that you do not belong to another person, to an institution, to a priest or to a government fop or anyone else that can be touched, seen or smelt.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member

All of them. The "Blind Men and the Elephant" story is one of my favorites because it illustrates that our understanding is limited by our own perspective.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member

As a believer I also think that we're all wrong about God because we don't have the experience of God. The difference is that I understand that there are organs of perception more advanced than the intellect.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
My criticism of the above is that 'religion' and 'belief in God' are not the same at all.

My position is that you can have no clue about what other folks believe they know or not.
If you want to know the default position of atheists then hopefully some might answer you?

Would you listen kif they tried to tell you? I think that you would just insult them and call them 'liar', wouldn't you?After all, your thread title is :-
People who claim to know God are Liars

I am a Deist, but honestly I don't believe that there is any point in explaining anything about it, just to be called 'liar'.

No I don't. I don't need a bible to be a Deist. I won't call the above a lie because I understand that ignorance doesn't make a liar.

Yes you are. Yes you did. You wrote it large on a thread title:-
People who claim to know God are Liars :shrug:

SabahTheLoner

Master of the Art of Couch Potato Cuddles
The nature of God is highly subjective. I don't believe that "knowing" God is a position with much ground to it. I'm not going to say that liars are what to call those who believe in God and claim to know him, though. To them it's probably not a lie, unless they're really good at convincing themselves that it is truth before they decided it was truth in the first place.

PureX

Veteran Member

I think you're wrong on several key points. One is that "knowledge" refers to direct personal experience, which you have no way of determining for someone else. If I tell you I experienced God, directly, you have no possible way of determining whether I did or I didn't. So you have nothing but your own bias upon which to formulate an opinion regarding what I "know of God".

Also, aren't you confusing people who claim to "know God" (which are relatively few in number) with people who proclaim their belief that God exists and is of a certain prescribed nature? Because these are two very different claims, coming from two very different kinds of information sources; even when the claimant, himself, gets them confused. (A lot of "believers" wrongly proclaim their belief to be "knowledge".)

Before you lump theism and religion together, and then lump all theists under the same negative light, I think you owe it to yourself, and to them, to take the time and expend the cognitive energy to investigate the complexities and the specifics of the various claims that are being made, and more importantly, to try and understand WHY so many people are making them.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
But you, on the other hand, mount your soapbox to claim that every single person to profess knowledge of god is either delusional or dishonest. One would think that only an arrogant fool would prance around infected by such certainty.
Perceiving something to be the truth is not the same thing as speaking the truth. I have no doubt, whatsoever, that many human animals believe they are in touch with their vision of god. That does not make it so as no one is in any position to determine, with any certainty, that they are, in fact, perceiving the existential reality of a god.

If I tell you I experienced God, directly, you have no possible way of determining whether I did or I didn't
More importantly though, neither do you as you are simply in no position to ascertain if something is a god or not. It is the prejudice of your own perception and sadly, little more.

For the record, I'm the lone voice that says they are liars simply because there is no way to know - for sure - whatever their experience is. I'd even include deep mystical experiences here. Just because you have a deep mystical experience doesn't mean you understand it all that much - especially at first and even more so after the experience is relegated to memory.

Last edited:

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
The atheism and theist debate over the existence of god to me sounds about like this:

1. You have an invisible "person" X

2. Stories, books, and debates have described what X looks like. X has a blue blouse, brown slacks, a high and tight-do, and pink polished nails. X is very out going, lovable, and sweet. X does have a nasty side, sharp talking and sarcastic. But that's X for ya.

3. For thousands of years people have known the nature of X and analogies, mythologies, and stories, that describe how we define X. Some are written others are spoken.

4. Then you have philosophers question what an X is. How does X relate to everyday life? Are we prisoners in the cave waiting to break free to see X or is X the shadows of people behind us?

5. Fast forward to today, many many many of people believe in X. Stories down the years have let people kill others because of how they project their ego and feelings on X while others have been helped and give charity because their humility and personality is reflected on X. X is still the same but different definitions for different people.

Hence why theist and atheist have battles. No one knows how to define X. So how do we know X exists? We can read it (literally) on the screen. We can pronounce it. We can use the letter in a sentence. They are just lines. The shape and how we place them together does not make them any different than they are separate. It's an illusion. However, using these lines, curved lines, and dots brings about communication.

Not right. Not wrong. It depends on how the communication is used, the intent, and how we project our experiences on this mode of communication. In this case, X.

Think of the above. We know X does not exist because we can see how we are involved in defining what X is from a person (if you dig my metaphor) or a letter (if you don't like metaphors).

God/X exists. We are just saying we don't believe that X exists apart from humanity. An external being.

The default position is there is no god. Where can you find god if you weren't introduced to the idea, concept, and word of god? Tell me how can you say you don't know if an external being exists when there is no evidence in life outside of our experiences and interpretations that prove it does?

That's like saying X exists without the human existence.

It's all blue outfits, pink nail polish, and high-tight-dos. Don't mistake the description of how people relate to god with god himself. The experiences are real: love (god) and hate (devil) but external beings???

That's the common denominator for abrahamic faiths--faith. That gives one the variable to make a trait (love/blue suit) warn on an external being thereby having that being communicate with that person by his traits-love.

Faith based on evidence through experience, bringing the words in sacred books a part of one's life, changing one's life to reflect their belief, and seeing the results of their belief turn to blessings.

An external god not dependent on the traits that define him? I have no clue. Casper?

I guess there is a 2,000 year point of time where people became unspiritual and need faith while back then even in Muhammad's days, people can talk to god. Even Bahaullah had his days with god but us joe smoes don't.

Something about time has something to do with what is sacred and what is not. No one has explained it to me yet.

They have faith. Just atheist have a hard time digesting that believers faith is concrete fact to them. Unless both parties want to understand each other, ya'll at a brick wall.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member

so you believe everyone is agnostic? without knowledge of god?

this would be true; if God were something apart from material phenomena. some believe that God, or the Absolute is panetheistic and some others believe the ultimate reality is panentheistic.