• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are others wrong?

firedragon

Veteran Member
The question is. Just because a person holds a belief, could be religious belief, or science for that matter. Just because someone else comes along and say "my belief is" does that mean one of them have to be wrong? or can it be that both have a part of the answer, but because they are at different wisdom level they can not see the truth in what the other person say?

Its like this brother. Most of the time, I opine that both of these people will have truth's. You are asking a question that has to be answered from a sociological point of view. In this case, truths are subjective. We find our own truths.

This question would depend upon your questioning premise. Are you asking from an ontological point of view or an epistemological point of view.

Lets say one person comes and says "the God of the Quran speaks of the athanasian trinity" then I would ask for evidence. If another person comes and says there is panentheism in the Tanakh, I would ask for evidence.

Do you understand brother? Evidence matters. Because in this case, evidence to this claim is pretty obviously possible because the books are simply available. It is not something that is invisible or has to be deduced purely by logic or scientific experiment. Hit the books, and show the evidence.

This is why all of this depends on your premise.

If your question is a question purely on a philosophical belief with no books in the background, that's a whole different problem. One could never in their life talk about evidence in this case because there is nothing tangible to go to.

I hope you understand.

idea

Question Everything
Do you see others belief wrong because you believe differently than them?

Or can you not accept that there are other answers than what you believe in religious or spirirually?

Where there is tangible evidence, agreement between diverse labs, segregation, oppression, or otherwise harmful practices that go against the wellbeing of humanity, then I see those beliefs as wrong.
For much of it I am agnostic, do not claim to know God, or know if any book is from God, and do not believe others "know" anything either. We all have spiritual experiences, and we all interpret those experiences one way or another, it becomes a personal thing. What is "true" for one person is not "true" for another, so the theory of relativity applies I suppose.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
If so, which one applies to reincarnation and Moksha?
Moksha, enlightenment, jnana is understanding the way how the universe works, how the human mind works, what is the relation between various forms of life that we find on earth. Moksha is understanding, that is freedom, that is deliverance from ignorance and doubts. Chemical recycling will make what constitutes us parts of a million things, living and non-living after death. That is reincarnation. This is what I have learnt in life.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member

Or can you not accept that there are other answers than what you believe in religious or spirirually?
When it comes to opinions on matters of fact, when I'm sure that my position is founded on the evidence... yes, I believe that those who disagree with me are wrong. Why shouldn't I?

When it comes to opinions on matters of values, I can't say that the values themselves are objectively wrong, but I can sometimes find cases where a person's values conflict with each other or where their actions aren't consistent with their values. I have no issue with saying that those people are wrong as well.

loverofhumanity

We are all the leaves of one tree
Premium Member

No. Most of what others believe is true.

So things like the Four Noble Truths and the Eightfold Path and Dhamapadda, the Bhagavad-Gita, the Torah, the New Testament, the Quran and so on - these are all truth to me. They are like different fruits of the Tree of Truth. These all teach the virtues, a spiritual life, to be unselfish and to serve and help others.

So which goodness can we condemn, insult or criticise? If we embrace truth or many truths which is best? What purpose does it serve to exalt one truth above another? When we can accept that truth is in all religions then we can have true peace and brotherhood.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Who ask about the evidence? You as a believer or you as a non believer?
Non believers do not accept any "evidence" that a religious person will give, due to that most often there is no physical evidence in a belief (Hint, it is a belief)
"Belief" is a neutral term. A belief can be well evidence, poorly evidenced, unevidenced, or barking mad. Still a belief.

Last edited:

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
The OP is about different belief yes. But it happens that RF are crowded with atheists and they never accept anything a believer call truth or belief to be truth.

And to be brutally honest @firedragon i do no longer know what you believe in, that is why i framed my question the way i did. it was not to offend you in any way. But i honestly do not understand you.
We follow the evidence. We believe what's best supported by the evidence.
A claim is not evidence.

Clara Tea

Many theists see other religions as heathen or Pagan or followers of Baal (which they say is a false God). Even sects of their particular religion is seen as somehow unholy. The various versions of the bible are considered taboo by various religions. And....each sect believes that its own version of the bible is the only one worth worshiping and reading.

Religion, therefore, is a wedge that drives people apart and instills hatred. It is a tool to keep people from reading and keep people out of school

Look at all of the wars that have been fought in the name of God.

ameyAtmA

~ ~
Premium Member
No, I don't see that others are automatically wrong.
In order to not digress from spiritual topic, we don't have to talk about what is obviously wrong, harmful, wicked or immoral.
  • If a doctrine, group or cult exists, unless it is totally immoral, harmful, dangerous and outrageous, it exists for a purpose, because there are those who benefit from it
I wanted to add that ultimately what should be encouraged is use of our neutral common sense, intellect, discrimination -- called "sad-sad viveka buddhi" in Sanskrit. Vivek is tressed upon vehemently.

However, in order to not digress from the topic of spiritual realities, God, philosophy, I refrained from discussing any points about these human errors. The focus was kept on spiritual realizations.

--

If someone is harming others or doing something unethical, wicked, unjustified, inhuman, immoral or abusive - that is obviously wrong OR in other words, what is unanimously wrong is wrong.

Again, judging others can be easy without seeing whether one's culturally clouded perspective is accurate and close to the actual reality of what is happening / happened, and how close it is to what the scriptures say, also whether there are/were valid reasons for why a societal rule existed. (vAstaviktA for those who want to hear an analogous word in Sanskrit)
but these are all non-spiritual topics and a digression.

Last edited:

Bird123

There is only one Truth. That Truth is what actually exists.

When all the facts are not known, people patch the gap with Beliefs. If Beliefs did not exist, one would lock up like might old computer when all the facts were not known.

Since all beliefs are not true, people are in error of truth. On the other hand, we are all on our own journeys to Discover what that Truth really is.

There are an infinite numbers of paths to arrive at Real Truth so can anyone really claim another person's journey is wrong? The journey is right for them simply because they are choosing their path and choosing one's path is an important part of the process.

There is much to learn by all. Why does one make the choice? What reason is there for the choice? What does one like about the choice that makes one hold onto those beliefs? Are beliefs more important to you than discovering the real truth? Is controlling others a factor? Must others really be controlled? Why is your journey better? Why must you force your journey on others? If others are living your journey and not the one of their choosing, isn't there knowledge that will not be acquired?

Yes, There are a million questions to be asked and considered. Ruling and controlling eliminates free choice. What are you really giving and teaching the world by ruling and controlling?

God gave everyone a different view to guaranty mankind a larger view than any one person could have. Won't something be missing if views are ruled or controlled out of existence?

I copy God. God places knowledge and truth all around. It waits to be Discovered. I do my best to place Truth in the world, then make no demands. Each is free to choose their own journey.

Journey and choosing is far too important to allow others to do it for us or to control that which is Special about each and everyone of us.

More is learned through mistakes than any other thing. We were never meant never to make mistakes. Allow others to learn from their own mistakes. Point them in the right direction. Love them Unconditionally. Let them choose and walk their own path. Everyone advances so much quicker this way.

What is the first thing a wise man realizes once a wise man truly becomes wise? Anybody? Anybody? The first thing a wise man realizes once a wise man truly becomes wise is that there is so much more to learn. With this in mind, If you are trying to rule and control others, not realizing that there is so much more for yourself to learn, can you really consider yourself wise??

For one who is a hungry student, there are always millions of questions to ask. Can one really ever run out of new questions if one is truly wise??

Interaction is a key part of God's learning system. Further, more is learned around Drama than at almost any other time so do not work so hard to avoid the Drama. Interact and place your knowledge out there, then set them free. Worry not, for when one lives, learns and understands all sides, Intelligence will make the Best Choices.

That's what I see!! It's very clear!!

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member

There is a simple answer to this for me.....it is a teaching of Jesus Christ....
Matthew 7:13-14...
"Enter by the narrow gate. For the gate is wide and the way is easy that leads to destruction, and those who enter by it are many. 14 For the gate is narrow and the way is hard that leads to life, and those who find it are few."

There are only two roads, one leads to life, the other to destruction......each road has a gate....and we choose which one to enter. Its just the same as there is only truth and lies....there is no half truth, nor is there a fence in between to sit on...its all or nothing where God is concerned. He wants us to choose and then he will know how to deal with each one of us. We are proving every day what kind of person we are. That is what I believe. Are we among the "few" or the "many"? that is the question.
There cannot be more than one truth, so it is up to each of us to find it.

Even claiming to acknowledge Jesus as "Lord" is not enough.
Matthew 7:21-23....
“Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. 22 On that day many will say to me, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and cast out demons in your name, and do many mighty works in your name?’ 23 And then will I declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from me, you workers of lawlessness.’"

How devastating to be on the receiving end of that rejection....and yet that will be the fate of the "many" who have chosen the wrong path.

The road to life is difficult because there is much opposition and many obstacles, not the least of which is our own desires. We spend so much time looking for a religion that suits ourselves, when all we really need to do is find the one that suits God, and that teaches one truth, from one source and holds to it. One that engenders no doubt.

James 1:5-8...
"If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask God, who gives generously to all without reproach, and it will be given him. 6 But let him ask in faith, with no doubting, for the one who doubts is like a wave of the sea that is driven and tossed by the wind. 7 For that person must not suppose that he will receive anything from the Lord; 8 he is a double-minded man, unstable in all his ways."

I believe God makes it easy.....it is we who make it complicated....looking for the wrong things and wondering why we feel insecure in our choices. :(

John1.12

Free gift
There is a simple answer to this for me.....it is a teaching of Jesus Christ....
Matthew 7:13-14...
"Enter by the narrow gate. For the gate is wide and the way is easy that leads to destruction, and those who enter by it are many. 14 For the gate is narrow and the way is hard that leads to life, and those who find it are few."

There are only two roads, one leads to life, the other to destruction......each road has a gate....and we choose which one to enter. Its just the same as there is only truth and lies....there is no half truth, nor is there a fence in between to sit on...its all or nothing where God is concerned. He wants us to choose and then he will know how to deal with each one of us. We are proving every day what kind of person we are. That is what I believe. Are we among the "few" or the "many"? that is the question.
There cannot be more than one truth, so it is up to each of us to find it.

Even claiming to acknowledge Jesus as "Lord" is not enough.
Matthew 7:21-23....
“Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. 22 On that day many will say to me, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and cast out demons in your name, and do many mighty works in your name?’ 23 And then will I declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from me, you workers of lawlessness.’"

How devastating to be on the receiving end of that rejection....and yet that will be the fate of the "many" who have chosen the wrong path.

The road to life is difficult because there is much opposition and many obstacles, not the least of which is our own desires. We spend so much time looking for a religion that suits ourselves, when all we really need to do is find the one that suits God, and that teaches one truth, from one source and holds to it. One that engenders no doubt.

James 1:5-8...
"If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask God, who gives generously to all without reproach, and it will be given him. 6 But let him ask in faith, with no doubting, for the one who doubts is like a wave of the sea that is driven and tossed by the wind. 7 For that person must not suppose that he will receive anything from the Lord; 8 he is a double-minded man, unstable in all his ways."

I believe God makes it easy.....it is we who make it complicated....looking for the wrong things and wondering why we feel insecure in our choices. :(
As easy as 1 cor 1.21 .
Eph 1.13