• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are others wrong?

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Do you see others belief wrong because you believe differently than them?

Or can you not accept that there are other answers than what you believe in religious or spirirually?

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member

Or can you not accept that there are other answers than what you believe in religious or spirirually?

When it comes to what is not objectively evident, I do not see the beliefs of others to be wrong.

However, when beliefs are in direct opposition to what is objectively evident due to willful ignorance, then yes, I see those beliefs as invalid.

Thief

Rogue Theologian

after your last breath
God and heaven will sort out
who will follow
who will be left behind

lean to the line of thought that might follow heaven

if heaven leaves you standing wherever you fell
you got it wrong

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
after your last breath
God and heaven will sort out
who will follow
who will be left behind

lean to the line of thought that might follow heaven

if heaven leaves you standing wherever you fell
you got it wrong

So we all agree that heaven is only for those that believe at @Thief does?

pearl

I think its more of a question of difference than right or wrong. The truth of that comes to the surface through dialogue with those who believe differently. We have no final answers on this side of death. When there is honest conversation and a willingness to listen we find we may have misjudged.

Nimos

If the beliefs are contradictory and based on faith, and one is not willing to say that they themselves might be wrong, then the others must be wrong according to one's own beliefs. Anything else would be insanity :D

If you believe that Allah is the one and only true God, then clearly everyone else that believe in a different God must be wrong, otherwise the Quran is wrong.

If two scientists have different theories about something, either of them or both of them could be wrong. But they most like believe that they themselves are correct, given that they are going for their own theory. But at the same time they might openly admit that the other scientist could potentially be correct. Which is usually figured out over time depending on what the evidence and proofs shows.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
If you believe that Allah is the one and only true God, then clearly everyone else that believe in a different God must be wrong, otherwise the Quran is wrong.

Just pointing it out here that Allah is Arabic for God.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
I would term a belief wrong if it goes against science.
IMHO, a religious or spiritual belief also has to be verified.
We have no final answers on this side of death.
There is no other side of death. Prove ghosts or vampires.

Nimos

Just pointing it out here that Allah is Arabic for God.
I know, but if someone claim that Zeus is the true God, then clearly they must be wrong. When a Christian claim one thing about God/Jesus and a Muslim disagree, then it's not really easy to just accept it and make it work. Because that would be to admit that the Quran might be wrong.

Basic example about pork? Christians say its not an issue and Muslims say it is. Both of these claims can't be correct. The Muslim or Christian might accept the others view, but if asked directly whether they believe them to be equally as correct as themselves, the only logical answer would be to say no and that the other is wrong.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Basic example about pork? Christians say its not an issue and Muslims say it is. Both of these claims can't be correct. The Muslim or Christian might accept the others view, but if asked directly whether they believe them to be equally as correct as themselves, the only logical answer would be to say no and that they are wrong.

I think eating meat is an issue. You may not.

Which one of us is correct?

RestlessSoul

I would term a belief wrong if it goes against science.
IMHO, a religious or spiritual belief also has to be verified.There is no other side of death. Prove ghosts or vampires.

There clearly is another side of death.

Whether there is anything on the other side is a matter of debate, but we are all currently on this side of a door that opens for us all.

Nimos

I think eating meat is an issue. You may not.

Which one of us is correct?
It depends on what issue you refer to, health issue? moral issue? The first one, could probably be examined scientifically and a case could be made for one or the other and we could have an opinion about it. The second one, we can simply choose to disagree, but it would be equally insane of me, to say that you for instance thinking it's morally wrong to eat meat is just as valid as my view, to say that it is not. If I thought it was morally wrong, I wouldn't do it. Just as you wouldn't bite into a burger, while saying that you found it morally wrong :D

At least I think there would be an issue :D

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
It depends on what issue you refer to, health issue? moral issue? The first one, could probably be examined scientifically and a case could be made for one or the other and we could have an opinion about it. The second one, we can simply choose to disagree, but it would be equally insane of me, to say that you for instance thinking it's morally wrong to eat meat is just as valid as my view, to say that it is not. If I thought it was morally wrong, I wouldn't do it. Just as you wouldn't bite into a burger, while saying that you found it morally wrong :D

At least I think there would be some issues :D

Reason for doing so notwithstanding, could it not be said that they are both correct? Not eating meat is correct for me? Eating meat is correct for you?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

I think by default many (I'll say) believe the other is wrong when they are presented with a belief or fact contrary to their own worldview.

If you consider X is a fact and another feels the opposite, both parties would think the other person wrong because it doesn't mirror the fact they hold true.

If you believe god exists and the other does not, and you don't feel the other person is wrong, than there is some agnosticism that there may not be a god because you're open to the possibility the other is telling the truth.

The key is, you can say in your head "they are wrong" and accept your feelings and conclusions about their "wrongness" without disrespecting them in the process. It's not that you shouldn't think they are wrong, it's how you approach it or if you approach it to the other is the key.

Edit. i.e.

It's alright that you see others as wrong. It's human. It's not alright to treat others poorly because of their "wrongness."