• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are Muslim Women Oppressed, or Most Free Women in the World?

Peace4all

Are Muslim Women Oppressed or Most Free Women in the World?

Many people think that Muslim women are oppressed. Of course from the western point of view they see Muslim women as veiled and oppressed. In order to first understand why westerners think Muslim women are oppressed we must first look from their point of view.

• Muslim women must wear the Hijab or head covering at all times (Main topic)
  • Muslim women must stay at home and can not work or be educated
  • Muslim women cannot go out of the house
Not surprisingly, the main reason people think that Muslim women is oppressed is because of the head veiling. Before I go any further I would like to define what exactly is the defined definition of the veiling of the women. A woman should cover from her feet all the way up. The arms should cover all the way until the wrist and the face can show but the hairline should not, only her face should show.

It's a common misconception that the Hijab is the symbol of the defined boundaries of a Muslim women's life. People think of the Hijab as a symbol of owner ship and limited freedom of the women however the Hijab is not a sign of oppression, but perhaps, the protection of the Muslim women.

In order to fully understand this concept we must shift to observe the question of," what is the definition of 'free' for westerners?" Because I live in an American society I can generally tell you that, this is not always the case, a women is pretty much judged by how fine her @ss is. A man's respect for women is more because of their physical beauty rather than characteristics. Think about it, why does the USA have one of the highest divorce rate in the world?**

With that said lets take a look of how women are judged in Islam. With the veiling of the women much of her beauty is covered. To limit man from judging women by their body's the Hijab is put as a barrier. This way woman would be judged by their characteristics rather than beauty.

When a woman wears the Hijab it’s not a sign of oppression but it’s a sign of freedom that no non Muslim women will ever have. I know American girls that spend eons on their personal looks… Why? The sad truth is that the majority of the times if men do judge women by their looks.*

Of course sometimes in Muslim countries you will find men very much like in western countries*. When a Muslim woman puts on the Hijab its like, “Back of playa go mess with someone else”; it gives the yield sign for those kinds of guys not to mess with her. As I have seen one Muslim brother say a while back:

Ezzedean said:
Women are protected in Islam. I dont know about you Jerry, but I would be much happier if my litte girl grew up to be a good muslim with a hijab on, instead of a bar hopper who shows her body to the world everytime she goes out, and get's caught giving favors to boys every weekend. Now in no way am I saying all non-muslims are all like this, but when I used to go downtown and see all the girls all trashed, dancing in the bars flashing their breasts to all the boys... not one of them are muslim girls... and that makes me damn proud.
Peace and Blessings.

I must admit it makes me damn proud too. I’m not saying that this happens to every non-Muslim girl but the Hijab significantly cuts the chances of that happening. This is a freedom that not many non Muslim women have.

* VERY IMPORTANT TO READ
When I refer to the term “westerners” I don’t mean every single one. I have met many great American people in my life and I have many non Muslim friends. I have also seen swell relationships between husbands and wives in the US. I am just saying that this does happen frequently and there are different extremes of the term “westeners”.

** Divorce rate in the US
Well at first I wrote the US has the highest but then I did research and I found out that I was mistaken; there are countries that are higher. The US divorce rate is around 49% .The Divorce rate of Syria is about .65%. I chose “Syria” in specific because Syria is a very modern Muslim country and there is a large work force of women.

I will respond to number 2 and 3 in time if god wills

Gotta run:run:
Salam

Djamila

Bosnjakinja
Peace4all said:
Muslim women must wear the Hijab or head covering at all times (Main topic), Muslim women must stay at home and can not work or be educated,Muslim women cannot go out of the house

You obviously have never met a Muslim woman not from Saudi Arabia or Taliban Afghanistan. ;)

Djamila

Bosnjakinja
I'm not a man, nor am I weak. ;) I'm just a Muslim woman who knows that there are as many Americans with six fingers as there are Muslim women who live the way you've described.

Peace4all

Continuation of my first post…

So in post number one I answered common misconception number one. Now that it’s understood about the Hijab, how about why woman can’t work or why cant they exit their home?

Arabs before Islam discriminated against women like many other people of it’s time. Just To have a new born girl was a shame; such a shame as a matter of fact that the fathers would bury most of their baby girls alive. That’s just a glimpse of the view of women among them. When people reach to such decadent and wrong ways god sends a prophet. This prophet had the name of “Mohamed” and preached to his people their wrong doings.

Islam taught them to worship one god and that they have responsibility of the poor. One of the many things Islam taught was that women were equal to men and Islam taught how to rightfully treat a woman.

This is where we get to the first question: Can woman work?
Islam does not say anything against woman working. Most women at that time did not work because when Islam was revealed all types of manual work needed muscles. Naturally men do have more muscles than women so they usually occupied all the jobs. But Islamicly a man MUST support his wife if he works. If a woman, however, she is not required to spend her earnings on family affairs and can do whatever she wishes with it; the man can not take the money from her or force her to spend the money. :yes:

To the second question: Can woman exit the home?
The answer is absolutely as long as they have their veiling on.

Now I know many of you are thinking, “If all this is true then why do countries like Saudi Arabia and Afghanistan oppress their women.” I bet a lot of the men that do discriminate against their wives don’t even finish all their daily prayers on time. They want control over their wives and they do so about using Islam as an excuse. In Islam though they know it very well that they both are equal in the eyes of god. It’s sad that men do discriminate against their wives; but I reassure you that Islam is against those men.

Peace4all

Djamila said:
I'm not a man, nor am I weak. ;) I'm just a Muslim woman who knows that there are as many Americans with six fingers as there are Muslim women who live the way you've described.

what... im confused:confused: i neither said your a man or ur weak.... mabey you should go back and read my whole post... IM against men that discriminate against women

Random

FeathersinHair said:
Peace4all, are you a woman?

He's a guy (and his spelling is really bad :D ). I got the same impression from his post as Djamila, that you were either a man or you were weak etc, but then he says he's against women who discriminate against men...?!

I don't know if he's talking about feminism here or if he means women who deny the cultural hegemony of men...perhaps he'll make this aspect of it clearer.

As for the main question of the thread: ask Muslim women. They are the ones who have the decisions to make about their own freedom in my book.

Peace4all

Godlike said:
He's a guy (and his spelling is really bad :D ). I got the same impression from his post as Djamila, that you were either a man or you were weak etc, but then he says he's against women who discriminate against men...?!

I don't know if he's talking about feminism here or if he means women who deny the cultural hegemony of men...perhaps he'll make this aspect of it clearer.

As for the main question of the thread: ask Muslim women. They are the ones who have the decisions to make about their own freedom in my book.

Lol my spelling is bad, i guess what im saying is confusing so im just gonna try to fix things up.

ive been typing things really fast i guess i should look over about what i say. I meant that im against men who discriminate against women my whole point of this post is two things:
Many people think that Islam discriminates against women and im trying to say that the religion does not. also im trying to say that the men that use religion as an excuse to discriminate against women are wrong and they are not supported by islam.
Sorry for all the typos:sorry1:

Random

Peace4all said:
Lol my spelling is bad, i guess what im saying is confusing so im just gonna try to fix things up.

ive been typing things really fast i guess i should look over about what i say. I meant that im against men who discriminate against women my whole point of this post is two things:
Many people think that Islam discriminates against women and im trying to say that the religion does not. also im trying to say that the men that use religion as an excuse to discriminate against women are wrong and they are not supported by islam.

Are you or would you consider yourself a liberal/progressive Muslim? I ask because your opinion, which I agree with, would likely not be shared by your Islamic brothers in general.

Peace4all

Godlike said:
Are you or would you consider yourself a liberal/progressive Muslim? I ask because your opinion, which I agree with, would likely not be shared by your Islamic brothers in general.

Lol, liberal/progressive muslim thats a good one:D

Well i think that there are three kinds of Muslims
1. The muslims that take Islam right
2. The muslims that take islam wrong unconcously
3. The muslims that knowingly use islam as an excuse to do things they know is not supported by Islam

Why would my opinions not be shared with my brothers and sisters in general? All i did is explain why muslim women wear hijab and that muslim woman are not oppressed by islam.

I think the religion Islam is perfect the people that follow Islam are not

Random

Peace4all said:
Lol, liberal/progressive muslim thats a good one:D

Well i think that there are three kinds of Muslims
1. The muslims that take Islam right
2. The muslims that take islam wrong unconcously
3. The muslims that knowingly use islam as an excuse to do things they know is not supported by Islam

Why would my opinions not be shared with my brothers and sisters in general? All i did is explain why muslim women wear hijab and that muslim woman are not oppressed by islam.

I think the religion Islam is perfect the people that follow Islam are not

Okay, but how would you feel about a Muslim woman who did not want to wear the hijab? Would it be legitimate to force her to do so because Islam says she must?

BTW, remember in future that you can edit your own posts here on RF after they've been submitted, so no typos...;)

Booko

Deviled Hen
Oh, what the heck, since this is in General Religious Debates:

There was a time, a very long time, when Muslim women were the most free. Certainly when you compare the lives of Muslim women in, say, 1000CE to European women, I'd have chosen to be a Muslim women any day.

But no, Muslim women are not the most free in the world today, even in the most ideal circumstances.

Baha'i women are.

Equality of men and women is a specific teaching of Baha'u'llah, and there are no ifs ands or buts about it.

"Ninth: Bahá'u'lláh emphasized and established the equality of man and woman. Sex is not particularized to humanity; it exists throughout the animate kingdoms but without distinction or preference. In the vegetable kingdom there is complete equality between male and female of species. Likewise in the animal plane equality exists; all are under the protection of God. Is it becoming to man that he, the noblest of creatures, should observe and insist upon such distinction? Woman's lack of progress and proficiency has been due to her need of equal education and opportunity. Had she been allowed this equality there is no doubt she would be the counterpart of man in ability and capacity. The happiness of mankind will be realized when women and men coordinate and advance equally, for each is the complement and helpmeet of the other."

(Abdu'l-Baha, Baha'i World Faith - Abdu'l-Baha Section, p. 241)

When it comes down to laws and ordinances of the Baha'i Faith, men and women are treated equally.

We don't require two women to match the witness of one man. The witness of anyone is equal to any other.

We have no "special" dress rules for women, no "special" rules for who she can have contact with and when, and there is no way you can make Baha'u'llah's teachings out to give anyone any excuse to keep a woman at home or railroad her into a marriage. None. Arranged marriages are haram, for both men and women.

In a few very rare cases, women are treated a bit better. If there is only enough money to educate some of the children -- girls get first dibs. (Though it's assumed that the community then steps in to help, as *everyone* should be getting an education.)

In our elections, if there is a tie between a man and a woman -- the woman gets seated on the elected body. This is our sort of "affirmative action." (I presume the next Prophet, coming many centuries from now, may abrogate this rule, as it will no longer be needed by then.)

Are there women imams or ulama in Islam much of anywhere these days? I can't say I've noticed any, but there might be some.

Even Christianity is in the process of trying to figure out what roles are "allowed" for women, and getting into some rather disunifying situations because their long standing tradition conflicts with modern realities.

Be very clear here: NONE of this is meant to disparage Islam or Christianity. The laws and ordinances and traditions of those faiths limited the roles of women in some ways because in some ways it was necessary to do so.

But you did ask if Muslim women were freer than anyone else...so I answered....uh...they're not.

Booko

Deviled Hen
Godlike said:
BTW, remember in future that you can edit your own posts here on RF after they've been submitted, so no typos...;)

English is likely not his first language, so take it easy on the Spelling police, ok? :)

The price of getting perspectives from around the world is sometimes we have to wade through some difficult attempts at English.

ayani

i personally doubt that as an over-general monolith of humanity that "muslim women" are not the most free of women among all the world religions / traditions.

i agree with Booko- that would more likely go to Baha'i women, at least as far as textual, no-nonsense support for women's rights and social / religious equality with men.

Random

Booko said:
English is likely not his first language, so take it easy on the Spelling police, ok? :)

The price of getting perspectives from around the world is sometimes we have to wade through some difficult attempts at English.

Duly noted, Booko! I'm off duty permanently...:)

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I disagree with some of the things you say, Peace4all, but your post is well written, intellectually honest, and deserves frubals!

I will say that it seems that the status of Muslim women varies from country to country.

Peace4all

Godlike said:
Okay, but how would you feel about a Muslim woman who did not want to wear the hijab? Would it be legitimate to force her to do so because Islam says she must?

Lol okay no typos this time:)

No i believe its the woman's choice if she wants to wear the Hijab. It is a sin if she does not wear the Hijab but thats not the husbands buisness, i mean thats why god gave women free will. If he did not give women free will then he would just simply strike them with thunder everytime they go out without their Hijab... imagine that:D
Mabey one day when men are perfect they can come back and tell woman about wearing Hijab or not. ;)

Peace4all

Booko said:

English is my first language but im a reckless 14 year old who makes an 85 in Lit. (my lowest grade) i just dont bother to read over my posts... :D

Peace4all

gracie said:
i personally doubt that as an over-general monolith of humanity that "muslim women" are not the most free of women among all the world religions / traditions.

i agree with Booko- that would more likely go to Baha'i women, at least as far as textual, no-nonsense support for women's rights and social / religious equality with men.

Mabey Muslim women are not the most free in the world... i just needed something catchy:D It's intresting to know about how Baha'i people treat their woman though!