• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are message boards getting meaner?

Maureen

Seeking
I must confess that I have had a hard time fitting in anywhere. For many years I was at one political/general topics board but when it closed, I was forced to look for other places. Finding one has been difficult. For the past year I have traveled to other places on the vast interwebs only to find that most are inhabited by very angry people who don't seem to understand there is a real person on the other end. I have found some really bad places, unfortunately. They seem to start off pretty good, and I met new people but then the cliques come out of hiding and you either belong, or are asked to choose a side of whatever war with others they have going. Much drama, and for anyone refusing to choose, is not pleasant.

We have all heard about online bullying but most of what is reported is school age kids doing it, or being the victims. Not much is said about the boomer age of old bullies doing the same thing. It is not pretty when one finds oneself in such a situation.

So far, this place seems pretty good, but I have experienced that before, only to be disappointed. It seems that every place I think is going to fit me, and me fit in, doesn't. I am hoping I am wrong about RF. I told a few close friends I did find a place to just chat amicably with others and they said "again? There are no such boards any more, if there ever were". I hope they are wrong. They want me to return to facebook and I refuse because I hate that place.

I suppose I am asking if it is just me that seems to see the negativity that is so rampant nowadays on the cyber highway where people collect to talk with other people? For those with handicaps or health issues of not being able to socialize, message boards are the only outlet. It's too bad so many have bullies at the helm or are inhabited by cliques of bullies.

How long have you been a member here? Are the cliques hiding, or did I finally stumble upon shangri la?

elmarna

I am here & am always willing to listen to what you have to say!
I am a positive person & just posted a thread today about the value of people in what they had to say!
Nice to meet you!

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
I've been here for a couple of years now and even though you see the occasional conflict, this forum is consistently awesome!

Landerage

Araknor
Hello great to meet you, as you know in life there are always bullies, people with fast anger and no patience, close-minded, dishonest people. But it is life and the way I do to get my message to them without being caught up in their hideous acts is simply by ignoring. When you ignore someone it creates attraction and those who really wana learn from you will change for the better. Of course some people don't change, and every human have their own mistakes.
I've been here for some weeks, so far it's a good atmosphere and there are many efficient people on this board who are welcoming and nice.
Good luck and take care :)

Maureen

Seeking
Nice to meet you all, too. And thank you for responding. I guess I am just still a bit frazzled from the last one. People I met, seemed normal and very friendly only to throw me under the bus because I didn't fit with their particular agendas. It made me feel stupid I didn't see it coming. Which is why I have not been very talkative here. Yet. Believe me, I am a very prolific poster but thought maybe I would go really slow this time around.
:)

Zardoz

Wonderful Wizard
Premium Member
This place is pretty good, considering the subject matter provokes heated debate. I was taught never to discuss politics or religion in 'polite company', but here I can discuss religion. Still not comfortable with politics.

Your assessment of the internet as a whole is correct. It's a rude cesspool.

This place is different, because a crew of dedicated staff work hard to keep it that way.

elmarna

YEAH! RAH! RAH! RAH!
FOR THE STAFF!!!!!
FRUBALS FOR ALL OF YOU!!!!!!!!!!:foryou::clap: hamster ::balloons:

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
Almost everyone on the RF is really kind, at my observation. I have been here for more than 5 years and I still enjoy it.

Tarheeler

Argumentative Curmudgeon
Premium Member
This place is pretty good, but you will find intolerant bigots on both sides of whatever argument is going on.

But, on the whole, everything is kept civil and it really is a good forum to post on. The mods do a great job of keeping it clean and enforcing the rules.

blackout

Violet.
This forum is SO well moderated.

(inter)Personal BS is not permitted on the forum.
(stalking, bullying etc)
The right and place for everyone to discuss
in a civil manner
is provided and protected.

Last edited:

kai

ragamuffin
In my opinion you wont find a better place than this. just find the forums you are most comfortable with and if you don't like what someone has posted use ( based on the rules of course) the report button.
and considering the amount of discussion and debate on religion and politics that goes on here its very well managed.

and i have to say even when people are in distress over something there are people here who will take he time to interact.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I've been elsewhere, but put off (& kicked off) by animosity, incivility, fanaticism & poor moderation.
This place works for me. We have discussions instead of wars, & I'm still surprised by novel & interesting thought.
And they let me post limericks.
But watch out for that Kai guy....he reminds me of the villain in The Shining.

Last edited:

Mathematician

Reason, and reason again
I've been here for years mostly as a consequence of the forum's friendly vibe. Now that I think about it, I registered on RF when I was 14.

I started out my life on the internet as a user on wrestling forums, though. You grow thick skin in said market when forum owners are 'hacking' each other to stay afloat in competition and entire threads are devoted to trolling/flaming.

pwfaith

Been there like you! I've found some pretty hostile sites. Most of them were fairly small compared to here though. I think the size of this one helps and for the most part, I have found everyone to be respectful, even when disagreeing. It doesn't seem to turn into nasty cut-downs and personal attacks 2-3 pages in like other sites I've been too :)

Hang in there! :) and Welcome!

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
I've been here for a couple of years now and even though you see the occasional conflict, this forum is consistently awesome!

From what I've seen so far, I must agree with you, Madhuri.

I joined a Hindu Dharma forum that is populated by a lot of very angry and adharmic, and prejudiced jivas. So prejudiced in fact that I was asked to change my user name because it was too adharmic, reminding some of a faith they have a deep abiding hatred for. I was even told that as a mleccha I could not recite the Gayatri Mantra.

I think maybe because this site is so vast, it's hard to get caught up in the petty squabbles. I pretty much stay within the Hinduism DIR, unless something like this piques my interest. ;)

Maureen

Seeking
This place IS huge, which has its pros and cons. So big, nobody gets in to arguments or form cliques, but so big nobody can really connect except in passing. Sort of like not being able to see the forest for the trees.:p

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
This place IS huge, which has its pros and cons. So big, nobody gets in to arguments or form cliques, but so big nobody can really connect except in passing. Sort of like not being able to see the forest for the trees.:p
As you post more, you will connect.
It doesn't take 10K posts.

MissAlice

I must confess that I have had a hard time fitting in anywhere. For many years I was at one political/general topics board but when it closed, I was forced to look for other places. Finding one has been difficult. For the past year I have traveled to other places on the vast interwebs only to find that most are inhabited by very angry people who don't seem to understand there is a real person on the other end. I have found some really bad places, unfortunately. They seem to start off pretty good, and I met new people but then the cliques come out of hiding and you either belong, or are asked to choose a side of whatever war with others they have going. Much drama, and for anyone refusing to choose, is not pleasant.

We have all heard about online bullying but most of what is reported is school age kids doing it, or being the victims. Not much is said about the boomer age of old bullies doing the same thing. It is not pretty when one finds oneself in such a situation.

So far, this place seems pretty good, but I have experienced that before, only to be disappointed. It seems that every place I think is going to fit me, and me fit in, doesn't. I am hoping I am wrong about RF. I told a few close friends I did find a place to just chat amicably with others and they said "again? There are no such boards any more, if there ever were". I hope they are wrong. They want me to return to facebook and I refuse because I hate that place.

I suppose I am asking if it is just me that seems to see the negativity that is so rampant nowadays on the cyber highway where people collect to talk with other people? For those with handicaps or health issues of not being able to socialize, message boards are the only outlet. It's too bad so many have bullies at the helm or are inhabited by cliques of bullies.

How long have you been a member here? Are the cliques hiding, or did I finally stumble upon shangri la?

Nope you're not alone. I see message boards the same as real life only giving more avenues for communication which puts bullies in an easier position. Most of these same bullies would probably coward away if they actually had to face that person or be in the public light. This place is much better considering other boards I've been to. My only problem is I'm not as educated and struggle with a language impairment. There are some great people who've kept me from permanently leaving. I struggle in many areas and find myself very alone. I do not even have a college education. I love debates but more than I often I find myself just reading them. If there's one thing I don't like on most boards which I don't see a lot on this one, it's immature attacks and petty name calling. My points of view have never fitted the majority and I do not see the world as black and white. I've also struggled with having people pressure me to play for the team and have people call me a traitor for disagreeing with their views. This place at least opens doors for those of us who think in an individualistic POV. But I'm not very cliquey and do not have an easy time becoming a familiar with any forum. My real life is like this as well but I do try and be friendly and if I'm comfortable enough with the person, will usually say hi or even go as far as have a discussion which is rare.

Anyway so far I like most of what you have to say. There are some great people here who try to understand which imo is much more smart than people who talk like a book. Welcome to the board. :rainbow1:

Last edited: