• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are JW a sect ?

firedragon

Veteran Member
Are JW a sect ?

A sect: "...a group of separationg themselves from others and following their own tenets.
According to Thayer's Greek-English Lexicon of the New Testament.
Some modern definitions are:
1. A group of persons forming a cohesive, usually contentious minority within a larger group.
2. A religious body, especially one that has separated from a larger denomination.

This term was applied to the adherents of the two prominent branches of Judaism, the Pharisees and Sadducees.
Ac 5:17;15:55;26:5.

The Jews and others called the Christians a sect,"the sect of the Nazarenes, viewing as a break-off from Judaism.Ac 224:5,14;28:22.
Although the Jews expected the Messiah. What they didn't expect and accept was that the Messiah would incorporate in his fold the nations and that he would replace the Mosaic law with a new religious arrangement (the New Testament).
Instead of being a breack-off it was the foretold step towards bringing salvation to the whole world not only to Judaism.

Jesus Christ expected his followers to be united in following his teachings, sects and divisions were viewed as belonging to the works of the flesh.

Since JW are called a sect amongst the different factions of Christendom. The question is, can that claim be substantiated ?
For this claim to be valid it should at least be demonstrated what religion JW have broken away from.

JW on the other hand assert that they meticulously follow Jesus teaching and scrupulously adhere to the ways of first century disciples of Christ. If incorrect that claim should be quite easy to contradict.

Do you have an opinion on this ?

Notes: this is not a survey, a perceptive answer would be appriciated.

One separating from the other group is "a sect". With this kind of general definition, one must question himself he is a sect by himself.

This sectarian strife is always, always a monetised political game. Anyone who participates in it are indoctrinated pawns.

Muffled

Jesus in me
Are JW a sect ?

A sect: "...a group of separationg themselves from others and following their own tenets.
1. A group of persons forming a cohesive, usually contentious minority within a larger group.
2. A religious body, especially one that has separated from a larger denomination.

This term was applied to the adherents of the two prominent branches of Judaism, the Pharisees and Sadducees.

The Jews and others called the Christians a sect,"the sect of the Nazarenes, viewing as a break-off from Judaism.Ac 224:5,14;28:22.
Although the Jews expected the Messiah. What they didn't expect and accept was that the Messiah would incorporate in his fold the nations and that he would replace the Mosaic law with a new religious arrangement (the New Testament).
Instead of being a breack-off it was the foretold step towards bringing salvation to the whole world not only to Judaism.

Jesus Christ expected his followers to be united in following his teachings, sects and divisions were viewed as belonging to the works of the flesh.

Since JW are called a sect amongst the different factions of Christendom. The question is, can that claim be substantiated ?
For this claim to be valid it should at least be demonstrated what religion JW have broken away from.

JW on the other hand assert that they meticulously follow Jesus teaching and scrupulously adhere to the ways of first century disciples of Christ. If incorrect that claim should be quite easy to contradict.

Notes: this is not a survey, a perceptive answer would be appriciated.

I believe the term has taken on a new meaning. It signifies a group that is secretive, keeps its members ensnared and usually follows a religious elite.

I believe I don't find JW secretive.

I do believe the JWs practice ensnarement. Adherents are not encouraged to think for themselves but must adhere strictly to the doctrine of the leaders.

Muffled

Jesus in me
I do. I have an opinion on just about everything, however unpopular or insufferable it may be.

I think how others label JWs is irrelevant. The only thing that matters is how JWs label themselves. If your a JW, and you see yourself as part of a sect, then yes, JWs are a sect. If you are a JW and reject the idea that you are a part of a sect, then no, JWs are not a sect.

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena..." ~ Theodore Roosevelt

I believe I am superman. I must be because I believe that about myself. Perhaps you can see the false reasoning in that?

Clara Tea

Are JW a sect ?

Instead of being a break-off it was the foretold step towards bringing salvation to the whole world not only to Judaism.

Notes: this is not a survey, a perceptive answer would be appreciated.

Snapping, snarling, and vicious people won't get into heaven. Unless my concept of heaven is wrong...if so, it is like hell.

I pity the much maligned Jehovah's Witnesses. They have as much right to their religion as everyone else.

Christianity is divisive (it splits up people, and drives them apart). It isn't supposed to do that.

People are supposed to treat each other like brothers and recognize that we are all God's children.

People tend to gripe about the splinters in their neighbor's eyes, while ignoring the logs in their own (as the bible says).

Neuropteron

Isn't Christianity a sect, Jesus having his own views on God in respect to himself despite his Jewish upbringing etc?

Then people on RF say Paul and Jesus Christianity is different so maybe Paul's Christianity is a sect.

Maybe you're wanting to say cult and not a sect? Not sure why either needs to have negative connotations.

One definition of cult
a system of religious veneration and devotion directed toward a particular figure or object

I think this is pretty much Christianity itself,JW included.

Hi,
I did mean "sect", but I do think that JW could be classed as a cult.

Neuropteron

I think "contentious minority" is the simplest benchmark. Aren't JWs a contentious minorty? It's not nessessarily a bad thing.

Hi,

It's not easy to decide on this.
Contentious people never let anything go. They feel compelled to explain, defend, convince, convict, or just have the last word.

Jesus was not contentious. He would speak His peace, then leave.

But Jesus and the apostles did explain, convince and convict but they did not attempt to have the last word in a discussion.

I think JW as a group attempt to do this, but individually it's easy to be more intense than is accepted.

danieldemol

Premium Member
Yes Jehovah's Witnesses are a sect of Christianity just as the Pharisees and Sadducees where sects of Judaism, to claim otherwise is pure semantics in my opinion.

Clara Tea

replace the Mosaic law with a new religious arrangement (the New Testament).

Jesus didn't replace the law of Moses (10 commandments), he incorporated them into the Christian religion.

So, Christians (and for that matter, Muslims) are Jews (religiously, that is). They are not, of course, ethnically Jewish.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Sects can go real bad, and most of the time you don't realize until too late and you're deep in questionable sect acts.

Remember always practice safe sects.

Once one chooses celibacy, they never have to concern themselves with sects again.

Clara Tea

Yes. The JWs are a minority sect that has arisen from Christendom and seeks to claim for itself the distinction of being the truest form of Christianity, a claim rejected by the rest of Christianity.

Very even-handed, Adrian, as always. It is always a pleasure to feel the warmth of your posts.

It seems to me that all branches/sects of Christianity view themselves as right (otherwise they'd switch to a different branch/sect. Also, there are various versions of the Christian bible, and some sects insist that only their version is right.

If mankind (perhaps a pope or a king) had a hand in altering bibles, it seems to me that the most authentic bible would be the earliest. Also, it seems that the earliest religion might be the most correct .

The Jewish bible is written in ancient Hebrew. At one time, Jews were forbidden to speak their native language, so it became a nearly dead language, only to be revived in recent times as modern Hebrew. Because the language had lingered on by word of mouth, some of it is still close to correct, but other parts of the language are off. Nonetheless, Jews who speak modern Hebrew have the best chance of correctly translating ancient bible passages. There are subtle differences that completely change meanings.

Reverend Gene Scott, and his daughter, Reverend Melissa Scott, both know that the older versions are most correct, and the older language is correct, but they were painfully aware that translation errors needed to be corrected. They struggled for decades to correctly translate the bible.

When they go through the bible, correcting errors once, then read the bible again, with that greater understanding, they would see more errors by reading it a second time (and third, and fourth).

Of course, the passages are still open to interpretation. For example, Jews had a prophecy that a Messiah would come, and amid a flood of false Messiahs, Jesus came forward, claiming that he was the Messiah. Jews didn't think that he was the one (and they are experts in their own language). So, while two groups can receive the same information, they process it differently.

Clara Tea

I think "contentious minority" is the simplest benchmark. Aren't JWs a contentious minorty? It's not nessessarily a bad thing.
It is if someone contends that it's a bad thing (but they'd be contentious, and likely in the minority).