• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are Highly Intelligent People Inherently Cruel?

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
I wager that high intelligence doesn't correlate with mean.
(I'm thinking of the friendly & funny Richard Feynman.)
But an unjustified high opinion of superiority just might.
Those who lord an imagined chess club sized brain over
us little folk should try instead to exemplify it, not claim it.

The truly intelligent are well aware of how little they know.

The problem, a la Dunning-Krueger, is that too many people who are not intelligent think they know a lot.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Intelligent people, from what I have seen, tend to just get bored when people go on and on about stuff that the intelligent person regards as obvious or obviously wrong. That can lead to a bit of grumpiness.

I have seen that with a lot of smart people. They do not blissfully enjoy being told what they should think by anyone, smart or dumb. And a few (but not all) dumb people love to talk, but hate to listen. They are willing to lecture a quantum physicist on quarks, and a plumber on toilets. And they are the last people on the face of the earth to catch on to how rude that is.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
And I get caught up on the careful wording sometimes. I don't consider myself highly intelligent, key word being highly, at least these days, or I'd be able to keep up with a few people in these science talks. I just know my ROPs from my ALUs and TMUs and caches and bandwidths when it comes to computers.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
The truly intelligent are well aware of how little they know.
Does that make me a genius?
Oh....wait....this is one of those logic thingies, ie, the converse isn't necessarily true.
Dang, for a moment there I felt all triple digit....
The problem, a la Dunning-Krueger, is that too many people who are not intelligent think they know a lot.
That scenarios seems familiar.

Dan From Smithville

What we've got here is failure to communicate.
Staff member
Premium Member
I've met people who are highly intelligent, and often they place the intelligence of people on a hightened level, as if the value of higher intelligence is what matters more than most other things in regards to people...

Sometimes, they will even admit that they don't like wasting their time speaking to or listening to those they deem less intelligent than them...

Other times, I fear what would happen if the world were filled with highly intelligent people.

...What is your opinion of those who write-off the less intelligent? Is it justifiable in your opinion? Why do they do it..?
I am not certain that cruel is the correct description. Dealing with intellectually lazy or stupid people can be frustrating. That frustration can come off wrongly interpreted as arrogance or cruelty.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Unless it is political leadership.

There are actual studies showing that, Dan. I recall one study by a group out of Harvard Business School concluded that the ideal boss is not more than 20 IQ points smarter than his average employee. Why? The authors speculated that when he or she is much more than 20 points smarter, their employees can't understand them. Communication breaks down, the employees end up feeling lost, uncertain how to do their jobs, or what is expected of them.

Another study found that if you are a whole lot smarter than someone else, that other person is very likely to conclude you are dumber than them -- because they don't understand you.

Dan From Smithville

What we've got here is failure to communicate.
Staff member
Premium Member
Does that make me a genius?
Oh....wait....this is one of those logic thingies, ie, the converse isn't necessarily true.
Dang, for a moment there I felt all triple digit....

That scenarios seems familiar.
I consider you one my very intelligent friends on here. Bet you didn't know that.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Someone once got mad at me because I called a pastor who said that medical problems don't exist, it's all demons, and applied it to me and my medical problems, as mentally inferior to me and not worth talking to.
:facepalm:

Gods! Mad at you! Well, that's life. That is sooo life.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
I also had a friend who didn't know anything on anything, yet, could tell whether a person was having a good or bad day even if they tried to hide it.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I also had a friend who didn't know anything on anything, yet, could tell whether a person was having a good or bad day even if they tried to hide it.

My last secretary was a bit like that. She knew next to nothing about most things. But I and everyone else in the company adored her. She could always tell how someone felt and she could always make you feel better.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
I've met people who are highly intelligent, and often they place the intelligence of people on a hightened level, as if the value of higher intelligence is what matters more than most other things in regards to people...

Sometimes, they will even admit that they don't like wasting their time speaking to or listening to those they deem less intelligent than them...

Other times, I fear what would happen if the world were filled with highly intelligent people.

...What is your opinion of those who write-off the less intelligent? Is it justifiable in your opinion? Why do they do it..?

I think it would be worth considering people who excel in one particular area more generally.
For example, on average, do extremely beautiful people rate beauty as more important than others?

Also worth remembering that how people measure intelligence is subjective and commonly self-serving. Concepts like 'multiple intelligences' would not fit well with the notion that someone is 'exceptionally smart' but completely lacking in other areas.