• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are Highly Intelligent People Inherently Cruel?

Cooky

Veteran Member
I've met people who are highly intelligent, and often they place the intelligence of people on a hightened level, as if the value of higher intelligence is what matters more than most other things in regards to people...

Sometimes, they will even admit that they don't like wasting their time speaking to or listening to those they deem less intelligent than them...

Other times, I fear what would happen if the world were filled with highly intelligent people.

...What is your opinion of those who write-off the less intelligent? Is it justifiable in your opinion? Why do they do it..?

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
Intelligent people often have worse social skills, and don't quite know how to interact as well as say, a mildly educated woman from the country.

robocop (actually)

Premium Member
I've met people who are highly intelligent, and often they place the intelligence of people on a hightened level, as if the value of higher intelligence is what matters more than most other things in regards to people...

Sometimes, they will even admit that they don't like wasting their time speaking to or listening to those they deem less intelligent than them...

Other times, I fear what would happen if the world were filled with highly intelligent people.

...What is your opinion of those who write-off the less intelligent? Is it justifiable in your opinion? Why do they do it..?
My opinion is that those who bridle their passions are full of love. That's a scripture from the Book of Mormon.

Cooky

Veteran Member
Intelligent people often have worse social skills, and don't quite know how to interact as well as say, a mildly educated woman from the country.

Yet, they tend to be placed in leadership positions, where it becomes their responsibility to interact with others.

epronovost

It depends on the circumstances. It's rarelly useful or productive to discuss with amateurs about subjects requiring expertise. If you have next to no knowledge of, let's say, Roman history, why would anybody waste their time listenning to what that person believe are the main causes of the fall of the Roman Empire?

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
Yet, they tend to be placed in leadership positions, where it becomes their responsibility to interact with others.

I think they do well thinking about politics so long as socializing isn't involved. I think making political decisions may be all about thinking "If X happens, how will it affect group A and group B?"

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
To reply in a human manner, I'm a nerd who some, not all, think is pretty intelligent. My social skills aren't the greatest. I may have my moments where I for example, wish someone a happy birthday and it means something to them, but I also have moments where say, I am cursed when it comes to dating anyone.

Cooky

Veteran Member
I think they do well thinking about politics so long as socializing isn't involved. I think making political decisions may be all about thinking "If X happens, how will it affect group A and group B?"

Is there any way, in your opinion, to help these people become kinder towards others? Or is it a lost cause?

Hellbound Serpiente

No, they are not. I have been written-off my whole life. Throughout my life I've been an object of humiliation, whether it's by superior thinkers, stronger people, taller people, more beautiful ones etc. etc. etc. It's not acceptable. I personally believe God Has Given us all different, unique talents. Just because I lack in some aspects as compared to others, doesn't mean they are overall better than me. I might be better in some other regards. Same logic to everyone.

Personally, I don't think highly intelligent people are inherently cruel. People, in general, are inherently cruel. By the end of it all, we are just advanced homo sapiens with Reptilian brain. It is the millions of years of evolution that has hard-wired our psyche. Humans are inherently cruel. Rich people write-off poor people, powerful people write-off the weaker one, intelligent people write-off less intelligent, physically stronger write-off physically deficient ones, beautiful people write-off the less attractive ones, spiritual people write-off the materialistic ones, and so on.

No matter how far we have, we still have our cruel reptilian brain and millions of years of conditioning to keep us inherently negative. It's not just exclusive to intelligent people per se

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
There is at least one scientific study that concluded people who marry people who are smarter than them gain around 8 IQ points over 20 years.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
I should probably state that I wasn't agreeing with that smart people are mean. But I do see some of them are more introverted, and needing time to recharge, and on occasion more awkward (but not always).

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
To reply in a human manner, I'm a nerd who some, not all, think is pretty intelligent. My social skills aren't the greatest. I may have my moments where I for example, wish someone a happy birthday and it means something to them, but I also have moments where say, I am cursed when it comes to dating anyone.

From what I've read on the subject, there is a certain kind of man who finds your type of woman enthralling.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

I guess it depends on what you mean by intelligent. I don't come across intelligent people because people tend to be experts in what they studied and do. So, it's limited intelligence. Unless two people are talking in foreign languages, there is always something to learn from another party regardless one person's skill over another. I mean, if we kept talking to people "in our field" then, well, it kinda limits the idea of zen mind beginner's mind. So, I guess intelligent has limits. I think what you're talking about has more to do with pride and, what word is it when you're too good for your own good? I guess it depends. But I really don't agree it has to do with intelligence itself. I'm sure there are a lot of smart people who are open to talk to anyone regardless the nature without either feeling they are talked down too or wasting their time.

Last edited:

rational experiences

Veteran Member
It depends on what is thought upon as being human intelligence.

I claim the highest form of intelligence is a spiritual human thinker and choice.

I claim the lowest form of intelligence is the ability to understand how to have every natural state pulled apart back to nothing. As the form intelligence who ignores common purpose.

I have been witness to humans claiming that unless you demonstrate that form of knowledge then you are not acceptable as being any quantified status of intelligence.

And I also witnessed variation to natural life expressing diversity of unnatural living conditions of historic science aberration causes.

I also know that the only brain that keeps trying to place our life with dinosaurs is the scientist who believes in that brain. We never owned any other type of brain other than a human brain.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Maybe the men do. Actually some did. But most women easily write off a nonbinary person like myself.

Wow! That's fascinating. I didn't know that about other women's attitudes. I never would have suspected it either.