• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

are good thoughts good actions

allfoak

Alchemist
Is meditation an action?
It requires no thought.

thought-cloud-no-fill-md.png

arthra

Baha'i
From one of the most ancient religions... Zoroastrianism (Mazda Yasnian).. we find the following principle:

"Purity is for man, next to life, the greatest good, that purity, Oh Zarathustra, that is in the religion of Mazda, for him who cleanses
his own self with good thoughts, words, and deeds..."

(The Zend-Avesta, Avesta - Vendidad)

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Do good thoughts differ from good actions?

If there is no difference between good thoughts and good actions, then thousands of woman during the course of my life time have been driven to orgasm by my thoughts of pleasuring them -- unless, of course, all sexual thoughts are necessarily bad thoughts (which I don't for a second believe).

Mycroft

Ministry of Serendipity
It should be pointed out, however, that good actions don't always generate good outcomes. It is, in fact, critical to remember this so that you can manage your expectations accordingly. If you go around with the idea that Good thought = good action = good outcomes you're on the fast track to ending up a depressive.

For example. A long time a go I had a girlfriend who Borderline Personality Disorder. I didn't really understand what this was, and she - on several occasions - expressed her concern over it. Said that if I wanted to understand her, then I needed to understand her condition. Said that, perhaps, I should research it.

Fair enough.

So I set about an intensive bout of research into Borderline Personality Disorder. The thought was that by doing so, I could understand her better and my actions would be good (to put it into the context of this thread). I watched videos, read papers, kept snippets of relevant information from said papers and blogs that I thought were helpful to keep in mind based on my own experiences.

When I told her about all of this (bear in mind it was her suggestion from the start), she went up the wall. Claimed that I had violated her trust, and that it was creepy to keep notes, and that there was no way she could ever trust me again. She was, of course, wrong on all counts.

Now this reaction was because of her condition. And, for her, those feelings were very real. She was not in control, per se, of her own feelings. Nevertheless, I struggled to understand what I did wrong. My intentions had only been good ones, and I had only wanted to do good for her. But she was past caring. She ended the relationship there and then and never once spoke to me again. I never saw her again.

Moral of the story is that good thoughts may lead to good actions, but the result may not reflect this. People - time and again - struggle with this because naturally they think if they do good, then there should be good outcomes.

But what we think should or shouldn't happen is merely an illusion. In reality, what happens happens. The world is not obliged to reflect our expectations and frequently wont.