• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are demons really necessary?

slave2six

Substitious
I mean, seriously! People are more than capable of thinking up some of the worst stuff to do to other people and to themselves. It seems to me that even a demon who took pride in his work and really studied his craft would have to just stare in awe at all the evil things that we think up on our own.

Cobblestones

Devoid of Ettiquette
I mean, seriously! People are more than capable of thinking up some of the worst stuff to do to other people and to themselves. It seems to me that even a demon who took pride in his work and really studied his craft would have to just stare in awe at all the evil things that we think up on our own.
LOL! Have you read Terry Pratchett? Try "Good Omens" as a start. This is one of his recurring themes.

Jeremiah

God thought He had made his biggest mistake in creating Lucifer but then He created humans...

cardero

Citizen Mod
I also believe the demons of mythology to be lazy, unoriginal and inefficient. I must first explain that I do not agree to the term “demon” I think the term is insulting and derogatory. The term that I would like to introduce would be “negative entities”. These (influences) entities could be physical or spiritual and do not necessarily have to conjure connotations of evil or bad these are just entities that are not conducive to one’s physical or spiritual purpose. Everyone on this forum has encountered entities like these.

On this forum I have encountered individuals who have explained spiritual demons as naggers, tempters, entities that persistently whisper advice or suggestions to get us to do, think or feel exactly the way they think. What these same religious people do not seem to understand is that we are surrounded by many physical entities who also seem to persist that they know what is best for our purpose and that they only have the best intentions in mind for us. It is getting to the point where one cannot distinguish the “demons” from the “angels” (also a derogatory term).

Last edited:

Herr Heinrich

Student of Mythology
I also believe the demons of mythology to be lazy, unoriginal and inefficient. I must first explain that I do not agree to the term “demon” I think the term is insulting and derogatory. The term that I would like to introduce would be “negative entities”. These (influences) entities could be physical or spiritual and do not necessarily have to conjure connotations of evil or bad these are just entities that are not conducive to one’s physical or spiritual purpose. Everyone on this forum has encountered entities like these.

On this forum I have encountered individuals who have explained spiritual demons as naggers, tempters, entities that persistently whisper advice or suggestions to get us to do, think or feel exactly the way they think. What these same religious people do not seem to understand is that we are surrounded by many physical entities who also seem to persist that they know what is best for our purpose and that they only have the best intentions in mind for us. It is getting to the point where one cannot distinguish the “demons” from the “angels” (also a derogatory term).

So an entity is anything that affects our judgment, either negatively or positively?

ellenjanuary

Sure they're necessary. Make good entertainment.
I've never seen anything like that; but the science seems to be there. Quantum theory, probability wave function, electrical potentials, the power of the human mind, the true reality of self, and fear of the dark? Add it all up, and yeah. Can't really disprove a demon.
But one thing that I have found is that a well-defined sense of identity keeps hallucinations away and aids in the suppression of fear. Other than that,
god is.
The more we know, the more we realize we don't really know jack. :p

cardero

Citizen Mod
So an entity is anything that affects our judgment, either negatively or positively?
I would think that they effect more than our judgment and negatively and positively doesn't necesarily have to equate to good or bad but may have more to do with our association or attraction with and to them.

Dunemeister

I would think that they effect more than our judgment and negatively and positively doesn't necesarily have to equate to good or bad but may have more to do with our association or attraction with and to them.

So an entity is something we are attracted to or repelled by, whether positive or negative? Can this be any more vague?

Humanistheart

No, I can't imagine demons would be necessary. Why would they be and necessary for what? Nor would hell or jesus be necessary for that matter.

cardero

Citizen Mod
So an entity is something we are attracted to or repelled by, whether positive or negative? Can this be any more vague?
It is as vague as one wants it to be. I still think it is a more reasonable theory than everyone just going around judging entities without getting to know them and what they mean to our lives and purposes.

Last edited:

Humanistheart

A rose by any other name... while I'm sure all cultures have had their own names for problems, demons, gremlins, jinn's, evil gods etc, I think the OP was talking about a specific 'entity' as you put it, demons, most likely from christian dogma.

cardero

Citizen Mod
A rose by any other name... while I'm sure all cultures have had their own names for problems, demons, gremlins, jinn's, evil gods etc, I think the OP was talking about a specific 'entity' as you put it, demons, most likely from christian dogma.
Again I must reiterate that I feel that “demons” in every religious incarnation are lazy, inefficient and unoriginal. I observe that the only reason some people hold on to such beliefs is that it gives them a reason to prematurely judge others.

Even with such behaviors as “bad” (demonic) and “good” (angelic) religions still seem to have a problem discerning these aspects. If one reads the Bible and follows the accounts of demons compared to God, we have demons that tempt and tease, offer fruit and kingdoms that are not theirs, possess farm animals and enact other mischievous feats. The faithful would prefer that people perceive these entities as an actual threat.

On the other end of the spectrum, we have God who has tallied quite a body count during his biblical history and that we should save all our love and adoration for this BEIng (who also allows mischievous demons to obstruct and complicate our existence).

With this kind of a relationship with a Biblical God, I cannot understand why their God (or His followers) would even have a need for enemies like “demons”. The religious concept of “demons” cannot exist with their teaching of a loving, all-powerful God. With such misjudgment, my question (as well as the OP's) is, why preach or teach such a concept as “demons” in the first place?

Last edited:

Cobblestones

Devoid of Ettiquette
On the other end of the spectrum, we have God who has tallied quite a body count during his biblical history and that we should save all our love and adoration for this BEIng (who also allows mischievous demons to obstruct and complicate our existence).
I hadn't considered it before but perhaps such a god would be, in fact, the head demon or, minimally, the mastermind behind them.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
It is as vague as one wants it to be. I still think it is a more reasonable theory than everyone just going around judging entities without getting to know them and what they mean to our lives and purposes.
Are you seriously suggesting that such things actually exist?