• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are complex personalities "dark"?

Are complex personalities prone to being "dark"?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 3 27.3%
  • Other

Votes: 8 72.7%

• Total voters

exchemist

Veteran Member
I have been talking to a lot of fundamentalist personalities lately (it's unavoidable if I want to socialize with local people), and I noticed a common pattern in their worldview (at least, with the people I talked to). They seem to see that which is simple and extroverted in regards to people as having a bright path, and people with personalities that are complex and not easily understood as “dark” or "having a darkness about them".

I wonder if you guys feel the same way, that people with complex personalities are "dark"?

My own view on this matter is that I kind of wish that I was misunderstanding the people I talked to, in this case, and that there are additional nuances. But some of them repeated these statements back to me multiple times. Although, I might see complex personalities as possibly, at times, being more introverted. But I think to call them "dark" is too basic. I don't fully understand what they mean when they say it, although I've noticed these people I've talked to are often very focused on family and tradition, while people I would call "complex personalities", often seem less focused on them.
People that see nuances and shades of grey are generally better informed and more adept at considering things from different points of view. Seeing things in simple black and white terms is in my experience generally a sign of lack of information, or even stupidity.

I don't think it has much to do with whether a person is introvert or extravert. It's much more to do with intelligence and education. Indeed, my experience of fundamentalists is that they are usually poorly educated and often not very bright. So in fact is they that are "dim", if not actually "dark". ;)

All my experience in life (I am 69) has taught me that reality is complex and nuanced. I value the opinions and advice of people able to see shades of grey - and I am in fact instantly suspicious of black and white views, which I see as a sign someone has probably not thought things through.

(In fact my son bought me a mug for my last birthday inscribed: "I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that", which I took as a great compliment.:))

Erebus

I know that some people can misinterpret introversion as somebody being gloomy, secretive or even outright misanthropic. Perhaps that contributes to the perception that somebody is a bit dark.

Also, if somebody has a very fixed view of what constitutes good and evil, they may be uneasy about people who question that worldview. It could be perceived as showing sympathy for dark forces.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Those who are willing to adapt and be accepted are more likely to breed. Evolution in action.
That's pretty close to what one of my female uni friends told me. Her way of putting it was;

'There's ten girls for every guy here, and if you keep that hairstyle, you still won't get a root...'

Mum had been trying to get me to cut my hair for 2 years. That pep talk had me at the barbers within 2 days...lol

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I have been talking to a lot of fundamentalist personalities lately (it's unavoidable if I want to socialize with local people), and I noticed a common pattern in their worldview (at least, with the people I talked to). They seem to see that which is simple and extroverted in regards to people as having a bright path, and people with personalities that are complex and not easily understood as “dark” or "having a darkness about them".
Darkness to a fundamentalist generally refers to evil. They're telling you they fear what they don't understand.

Little Dragon

It's a bit complicated to decipher. Basically, I talked to some fundamentalists who seemed to think simple and extroverted personalities were "bright", and seemingly, personalities that were more convoluted were "dark". So I sought to get RF's opinion.
I wasn't sure what the question was asking either. I do know that I can find extroverts and their enthusiasm for expressing themselves and other things, a little embarrassing and draining to be around. I don't like being around loud and expressive people very much in general. I much prefer the company of quiet and reserved types, like myself, usually. Very rarely some little ray of sunshine, will with her/his chatter and bounce, catch my attention, and I might warm to them, if they are genuine and interesting.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member

I wonder if you guys feel the same way, that people with complex personalities are "dark"?

My own view on this matter is that I kind of wish that I was misunderstanding the people I talked to, in this case, and that there are additional nuances. But some of them repeated these statements back to me multiple times. Although, I might see complex personalities as possibly, at times, being more introverted. But I think to call them "dark" is too basic. I don't fully understand what they mean when they say it, although I've noticed these people I've talked to are often very focused on family and tradition, while people I would call "complex personalities", often seem less focused on them.

I believe that is your definition of complex and indeed most people label people they don't understand as complex. I have never heard an individual label themselves as complex. I personally, see individuals as unique and tend to relish in their uniqueness. I have yet to meet a complex person.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
I wasn't sure what the question was asking either. I do know that I can find extroverts and their enthusiasm for expressing themselves and other things, a little embarrassing and draining to be around. I don't like being around loud and expressive people very much in general. I much prefer the company of quiet and reserved types, like myself, usually. Very rarely some little ray of sunshine, will with her/his chatter and bounce, catch my attention, and I might warm to them, if they are genuine and interesting.
Extroverts can be quiet, too. :)