• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are Christians Suppose to Strive to be Like Jesus?

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
In what ways?

Jesus set the example of a life dedicated to God. Thats how.

We have been created for a purpose, but mankind is not living within that purpose. Jesus shows us how to through the doing of Gods will.

JayJayDee

Avid JW Bible Student
1 Pet 2:19-23....."For if someone, because of conscience toward God, bears up under grievous things and suffers unjustly, this is an agreeable thing. 20 For what merit is there in it if, when you are sinning and being slapped, you endure it? But if, when you are doing good and you suffer, you endure it, this is a thing agreeable with God.
21 In fact, to this
[course] you were called, because even Christ suffered for you, leaving you a model for you to follow his steps closely. 22 He committed no sin, nor was deception found in his mouth. 23 When he was being reviled, he did not go reviling in return. When he was suffering, he did not go threatening, but kept on committing himself to the one who judges righteously."

Are we to attempt to live a life like this.....:yes:

Will we be perfect at it? :no:

Will we have to say :sorry1: often? Of course we will. :eek: (Psalm 103:8-14)

nash8

Da man, when I walk thru!
The ways I try to be like Jesus:

1. Hang out with lots of women.
2. Drink lots of wine and/or other spirits.
3. Chill with your homies on a regular basis.
4. Develop spiritually through meditation and other such practices.
5. Treat all people with respect regardless of their title or position within society as long as they treat you with respect in return.
6. Most importantly of all... FIGHT THE MAN.

In what ways?
The Holy Spirit within each of us (our True Self, the Spiritual Intelligence within us, Knowledge within us, ...) is the permanent part of us that carries the important mission we have come into the world to fulfill. Jesus had reclaimed the Holy Spirit within him and allowed it to express itself in the world, thus, completing his mission. Not just Christians but everyone can strive to reclaim the Holy Spirit within themselves. Yet, how many can take the journey to do so?

roger1440

I do stuff
In what ways?

The word Christian means Christ like. Christians are called upon to be like Christ. Christ is a paradigm. That’s a fancy word for an example set as a model. But how are we to be like Christ? When we read all the Gospels, including the non-canonical Gospels, they all share one theme, Sacriface. Christians are to be living sacrifices. Of all the verses I could quote, the first that comes to my mind is, “Greater love has no one than this: to lay down one's life for one's friends (John 15:13)

Christians by no means hold a monopoly on sanctity. In the Jewish scriptures we find, “You are to be holy to me because I, the LORD, am holy, and I have set you apart from the nations to be my own.”. (Leviticus 20:26)

Last edited:

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Dear people, be like Jesus even though yer a born Sinner. Makes sense don't it?

Simple. :yes: Too much over-thinking in the thread.

"Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect." - Matthew 5:48

Awoon

Jesus set the example of a life dedicated to God. Thats how.

We have been created for a purpose, but mankind is not living within that purpose. Jesus shows us how to through the doing of Gods will.

Why do people constantly put humankind down? "I'm only human" is a line people use when they make mistakes. Well just because one makes mistakes doesn't mean that one or anyone is a mistake!
The fear and put down teachings taken out of the Bible by Christian religions have done nothing for humankind. Then the excuse is "God has a plan," but cant exercise that plan without religion. Religions and the Bible haven't worked. They are the Wrong plan.

Awoon

Simple. :yes: Too much over-thinking in the thread.

"Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect." - Matthew 5:48

"Perfection" is just a comparison of something that cant be demonstrated by any human according to Christians.

roger1440

I do stuff
Why do people constantly put humankind down? "I'm only human" is a line people use when they make mistakes. Well just because one makes mistakes doesn't mean that one or anyone is a mistake!
The fear and put down teachings taken out of the Bible by Christian religions have done nothing for humankind. Then the excuse is "God has a plan," but cant exercise that plan without religion. Religions and the Bible haven't worked. They are the Wrong plan.
You look at it as God’s plan doesn’t work. I look at it as people don’t work the plan.

Awoon

You look at it as God’s plan doesn’t work. I look at it as people don’t work the plan.

No plan is given by any God, only religions and they cant get it correct.

Please lay out God's plan in your own words without using any religious quotes.

Last edited:

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
It's most likely better for everyone if a Christian strives to be like Jesus, than strives to be a Christian like Pat Robertson.

Awoon

It's most likely better for everyone if a Christian strives to be like Jesus, than strives to be a Christian like Pat Robertson.

Christians don't have Jesus here to compare themselves with. They only have words written millennium ago.

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
No plan is given by any God, only religions and they cant get it correct.

Please lay out God's plan in your own words without using any religious quotes.

“The conclusion of the matter, everything having been heard, is: Fear the true God+ and keep his commandments,+ for this is the whole obligation of man.”
—Ecclesiastes 12:13.

It is our obligation to serve our creator in the way he directs. But we are not doing that...man is serving his own interests and destroying Gods creation in the process.

Shermana

Heretic
1 John 2:6 Whoever claims to live in him must live as Jesus did.

And how did Jesus walk/live?

Oh yeah.

A Torah obedient Jew.

Thus, the only argument out of being a "Messianic Jew" is to try to say that Jesus sinned and broke the Law or changed it while he was alive, of which I love cracking that argument over and over again.

Otherwise, their argument boils down to "You don't REALLY have to live as Jesus lived", 1 John 2:6 must mean something different for some reason, never really explained in detail.

I can't help but notice how unfamiliar most Christians are with 1 John.

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
1 John 2:6 Whoever claims to live in him must live as Jesus did.

And how did Jesus walk/live?

Oh yeah.

A Torah obedient Jew.

Thus, the only argument out of being a "Messianic Jew" is to try to say that Jesus sinned and broke the Law or changed it while he was alive, of which I love cracking that argument over and over again.

Otherwise, their argument boils down to "You don't REALLY have to live as Jesus lived", 1 John 2:6 must mean something different for some reason, never really explained in detail.

I can't help but notice how unfamiliar most Christians are with 1 John.

if Jesus was as 'torah obedient' as you claim, then why didnt he condemn the women who was menstruating in a crowd of people?

The law stated that a women menstruating must not come into any assembly but keep away....yet this women entered a crowded place and touched Jesus.
Her condition made her ceremonially unclean, so she should not have been there. (Leviticus 15:25-27)

Why did Jesus commend her instead? He said to her: “Daughter, your faith has made you well.”

And why didnt he remove himself from the crowd and go and wash himself and be unclean until evening as directed by the law:
27*And anyone touching them will be unclean, and he must wash his garments and bathe in water and be unclean until the evening

You can read the accounts in Matthew 9:18-22 & Mark 5:21-34

Torah obedient?