• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are atheists arrogant? immoral? angry?

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
Sorry, but that doesn't mean what you think it means. And not only do I know and love a lot of Protestants, I grew up as one and spent much time as an adult as one. LOL non denominational, Methodist, Baptist, Bible believing, you name it. Oh, Assembly of God too. LOL I think I covered all the major bases.

PureX

Veteran Member
Please note post #310 @PureX accusing atheists and I of lying about our beliefs.
Most of the atheists here are constantly claiming they have no god beliefs. In fact, they claim that is the very definition of atheism. And yet they all seem to believe that no gods exist unless and until they are proven to exist by the theists, and in the exact manner that the atheists demand. And they all seem to agree that this has not happened. So as a result, they all do in fact believe that no gods exist. So it does appear that they are lying when they claim they have no god belief, as they clearly believe and argue constantly against any suggestion of the existence of any gods.

F1fan

Veteran Member
Most of the atheists here are constantly claiming they have no god beliefs.
False, they state they don't believe gods exit. You are trying to make it sound uncertain, or a claim that has to be demonstrated.
In fact, they claim that is the very definition of atheism.
Atheism means non-theism, and that means non-belief in religious ideas including gods.
And yet they all seem to believe that no gods exist unless and until they are proven to exist by the theists, and in the exact manner that the atheists demand.
Atheists in the basic sense do not believe what I bolded above. This misrepresents atheists again, as if atheists are asserting no gods exist. Most don't do this, all they do is doubt the claims made by believers, and then ask believers to demonstrate their religious claims are true. As we know theists can't.

There are some God claims that theists make that can be discounted. The creationist God is certainly not real, and that is the case because the actions claimed to be true by this God never happened.
And they all seem to agree that this has not happened.
Theists have the burden of proof when they engage in debate.
So as a result, they all do in fact believe that no gods exist.
Still false and misrepresentative.
So it does appear that they are lying when they claim they have no god belief, as they clearly believe and argue constantly against any suggestion of the existence of any gods.
It's not them lying.

Kathryn

Without a doubt, a God must enter before they exit. :p
You took the words right out of my mouth, or my fingertips. Y'all! If that post is edited, it used to say gods "exit" rather than "exist," which is what I think the person means but I'm not 100 percent sure.

anna.

but mostly it's the same
Please note post #310 @PureX accusing atheists and I of lying about our beliefs.

I knew I shoulda listened to my own advice and stayed out of this thread...

I don't want to play ping pong here, I just don't see PureX as angry, which was your original statement. Maybe everyone's got a little arrogance.

I believe him though, when he says he's not angry (in the face of you repeatedly telling him he is) even as I know he says he's challenging you.
He may tell you things you don't like, don't appreciate, don't respect, don't agree with, annoy you, insult you, anger you, (add anything else here that fits). That's not my responsibility, so I don't need updates on his most recent behavior. He's treated me kindly in the past when I was going through a difficult time grieving the loss of family members. I just want people to know he has that kindness, and a genuine curiosity about people and yes, he does seem to enjoy a bit of a brawl. :) But that's on you as much as on him; it takes two, and I can't help but wonder if you're enjoying this as much as he is, because... you're still here.

So carry on, I might read along here or there even though this isn't my usual hill to die on, but I do like a good conversation, because that's why I'm here. :)

Firenze

Premium Member
Estimate how many Christians are living on the planet right now, and then ask yourself how many of them have actually claimed to have seen God. I think you're letting your own hyperbole run away with your reason.
Whether it’s 5000 or 50 million would seem to be irrelevant. Do you believe Christians when they claim to have seen their god or not? Someone brought up a biochemist that writes books now for Christians where he claims that he saw and was spoken to by some god in a dream. Do you think he’s lying?
Why? What logical reason do you have for expecting that?
Because Christians have assured me their god will appear to everyone any day now.
So because a few Christians that you've encountered think this, you are expecting that God should oblige them? Why should God oblige their beliefs?
A few?? Pew Research polling shows that a full 79% of Christians in the US believe this. Extrapolate that to the universe of Christians and we get at least 1.5 billion believers. Are their beliefs wrong?
I don't think you're thinking this through.
Well, I agree that one of us isn’t.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
We live in a fallen world, and also, I don't claim that my intellect is superior to that of many others. I am just making it in my own world and way and it's working well for me. By the way, I find many people on this forum, not all, but many, to be arrogant and angry. All types, from atheist to theist to whatever.
There is no evidence the world has fallen anywhere. Gravity pretty much determines the earth stays in its place circularing the sun at least for the near future.

WARNING! Sarcasm ALERT!

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
Sorry, but that doesn't mean what you think it means. And not only do I know and love a lot of Protestants, I grew up as one and spent much time as an adult as one. LOL non denominational, Methodist, Baptist, Bible believing, you name it. Oh, Assembly of God too. LOL I think I covered all the major bases.
Only a small number of available bases out of hundreds.

Kathryn

Actually your choices appear to church shopping on the same block until you found the shows that fit.
Not really - we moved a lot being a military family. Plus my dad encouraged me to attend youth services. At one point I was going to a youth service on Sunday nights at a primitive Baptist church, and another on Wednesday nights at an Assembly of God church! That was different.

Hey, I was an extrovert.

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Being angry at God is the funniest one.
Why pick a particular god to be angry at?
There are so many others. If I were to be
angry at their god (the one named God),
I'd be angry at them all. But since they
don't exist, I've no feelings for them at all.
I'd never heard of #4.
(No. 4 being, "4. That they either lost their father at a young age, or had a strained relationship with their father, making it more difficult to form a good relationship with the Divine Father.")

Lewis Rambo (sic) wrote Understanding Religious Conversion (1993) as to why men (in particular) convert to religion. He summarizes the research of Chana Ullman (1982) "that the major issues motivating the forty converts (in comparison to the control group) were emotional [ie not the study’s alternative, intellectual], involving problematic relationships with their father, unhappy childhoods, and a past history of disrupted, distorted personal relationships."

That's about conversion to religion, not from. I don't know what if any further surveys or research have been done ─ 1982 was forty-two years ago, after all, and at least in the US psychoanalysis was still in its heyday ─ but on the face of it it shows the opposite to the suggested anti-atheist claim.

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
Most of the atheists here are constantly claiming they have no god beliefs.
It depends on whether you mean no [god beliefs] or whether you mean [no god] beliefs. Atheism is simply the absence of any belief in a god/gods. There are hard atheists, who actually go the extra step and say "there is no god," and then there are others who do NOT make that claim but simply don't have a belief in god, such as agnostics.

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
so many atheists, themselves, are constantly lying about what atheism is and what atheists believe and don't believe?
Shame on you! What kind of person calls others who consistently give him the same response that they simply don't believe in gods liars with zero supporting evidence? How do you think that serves you? What do you think that does to your ethos - your credibility?
So because a few Christians that you've encountered think this, you are expecting that God should oblige them?
No, because many if not most Christians claim to have direct experience of a god, he expects them to produce their evidence before believing them. I've already explained why I don't bother asking for evidence that I know doesn't exist. Inmy opinion, the proper answer is "You don't have the evidence," not "Where is it"
Because I have no possible way of verifying that something claiming to be God, is God. And neither does anyone else. I don't think you're thinking this through.
Yet you believe in this god anyway, but according to you, it's the other poster who's not thinking things through.

You project a lot. You just did again. I don't think you've thought this through. You write absurd and foolish things and call others fools and their ideas absurd. You call others liars even as you lie about what they believe.
Most of the atheists here are constantly claiming they have no god beliefs. In fact, they claim that is the very definition of atheism. And yet they all seem to believe that no gods exist unless and until they are proven to exist by the theists
You're still lying about what atheists believe and what they tell you they believe. Each reader is left to guess whether this an intellectual issue (you just can't learn), a character issue (bad faith argumentation, that is, knowing that you are lying), or some amalgam of the two.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
I knew I shoulda listened to my own advice and stayed out of this thread...

I don't want to play ping pong here, I just don't see PureX as angry, which was your original statement. Maybe everyone's got a little arrogance.

I believe him though, when he says he's not angry (in the face of you repeatedly telling him he is) even as I know he says he's challenging you.
He may tell you things you don't like, don't appreciate, don't respect, don't agree with, annoy you, insult you, anger you, (add anything else here that fits). That's not my responsibility, so I don't need updates on his most recent behavior. He's treated me kindly in the past when I was going through a difficult time grieving the loss of family members. I just want people to know he has that kindness, and a genuine curiosity about people and yes, he does seem to enjoy a bit of a brawl. :) But that's on you as much as on him; it takes two, and I can't help but wonder if you're enjoying this as much as he is, because... you're still here.

So carry on, I might read along here or there even though this isn't my usual hill to die on, but I do like a good conversation, because that's why I'm here. :)
Yet he still abuses atheists at every opportunity. o_O

PureX

Veteran Member
It depends on whether you mean no [god beliefs] or whether you mean [no god] beliefs. Atheism is simply the absence of any belief in a god/gods.
Actually, what you are describing is literally nothing. Atheism is not nothing, or we would not have, nor would we ever need, a word for it. This kind of empty labeling is clearly just nonsensical gibberish. So you really need to ask yourself why you and other self-proclaimed atheists are SO ADAMANTLY beholding to this nonsensical gibberish? Why don't you simply say you're undecided? Or say that you're not a theist. But no. You refuse to use any of these far more sensible and readily understandable means of describing the position that you're claiming for yourself. And instead, you INSIST on using a deliberately empty and meaningless label like "unbelief" when clearly every one of you believes a whole range of precepts related to the possible existence of any gods. It's deliberately dishonest and misleading, and you owe it to yourself and to everyone else to figure out why you are choosing to be deliberately dishonest and misleading.
There are hard atheists, who actually go the extra step and say "there is no god," and then there are others who do NOT make that claim but simply don't have a belief in god, such as agnostics.
Atheism is not a person. Atheism is neither "hard" nor "soft". Atheism is a theological position that a person either agrees with or does not agree with. And that position is that the theists proposition is untrue. That no gods exist in any way that effects our existence. Atheism is not defined by atheists. Atheists are defined by their alignment with atheism.

It's really that simple.

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Atheism is a theological position that a person either agrees with or does not agree with. And that position is that the theists proposition is untrue. That no gods exist in any way that effects our existence.
That is incorrect. Again.

You're unteachable.
Atheism is not defined by atheists.
I define atheism for myself, and I apply my definition to everybody else.

Atheism is not defined by atheophobic bigots, and when it is, if it not my definition, I reject it as I have with you uncountable times.