• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are Adam and Eve Incompatible with Evolution?

Astrophile

Whoever Adam and his mate are, they were important enough for the Israelites to attempt to construct an authoritative line of descent all the way back to. There is an enormous amount of lost history for our world. Like about 99.9999999999999999999999999999% of our worlds 4+ billion-year-old history was lost.

You exaggerate the amount of lost history. If 99.9999999999999999999999999999% of the Earth's history was lost, there would be less than a picosecond surviving.

Colt

You exaggerate the amount of lost history. If 99.9999999999999999999999999999% of the Earth's history was lost, there would be less than a picosecond surviving.
4,542,999,400+/- years are missing from the Bible.

Colt

That's true; and as soon as I'm shown credible evidence for either story, I'll believe them. :)
“The gene Microcephalin (MCPH1) regulates brain size and has evolved under strong positive selection in the human evolutionary lineage. We show that one genetic variant of Microcephalin in modern humans, which arose approximately 37,000 years ago, increased in frequency too rapidly to be compatible with neutral drift. This indicates that it has spread under strong positive selection, although the exact nature of the selection is unknown. The finding that an important brain gene has continued to evolve adaptively in anatomically modern humans suggests the ongoing evolutionary plasticity of the human brain. It also makes Microcephalin an attractive candidate locus for studying the genetics of human variation in brain-related phenotypes.”

Microcephalin, a gene regulating brain size, continues to evolve adaptively in humans - PubMed

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
“The gene Microcephalin (MCPH1) regulates brain size and has evolved under strong positive selection in the human evolutionary lineage. We show that one genetic variant of Microcephalin in modern humans, which arose approximately 37,000 years ago, increased in frequency too rapidly to be compatible with neutral drift. This indicates that it has spread under strong positive selection, although the exact nature of the selection is unknown. The finding that an important brain gene has continued to evolve adaptively in anatomically modern humans suggests the ongoing evolutionary plasticity of the human brain. It also makes Microcephalin an attractive candidate locus for studying the genetics of human variation in brain-related phenotypes.”

Microcephalin, a gene regulating brain size, continues to evolve adaptively in humans - PubMed

The full text of this article is behind a paywall, so I suspect you probably haven't even read the entire thing, but...what does this have to do with Adam and Eve or Lucifer having rebelled against the creator of the universe?

Honestly

Here is what I think:

Several scriptures indicate that we are children of God. At some point in the creation process, the spirits of Adam and Eve were placed in physical bodies. The scriptures teach that Adam and Eve were placed in a particular garden located in a specific place on the earth (eastward in Eden). Adam and Eve are spirit children of God while all other animals, no matter how much they are similar to human bodies, are not.

Also consider that the word "Day" in genesis is not a specific time period but rather an era of undisclosed time. Also, it appears that the 6 creative periods were not the physical creation but rather a spiritual one. After the 6 days of creation were completed, Genesis 2 simply states (Capitalizations and Parenthesis added by me):

"4 These are the generations of the heavens and of the earth when they were created, in the DAY that the Lord God made the earth and the heavens,

5 And every plant of the field BEFORE IT WAS IN THE EARTH, and every herb of the field BEFORE IT GREW: for the Lord God had not caused it to rain upon the earth, and THERE WAS NOT A MAN to till the ground.

6 But there went up a mist from the earth, and watered the whole face of the ground.

7 And the Lord God formed man of the dust of the ground (OR ELEMENTS OF THE EARTH), and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life (OR HIS PRE CREATED SPIRIT); and man became a living soul (THE SPIRIT AND BODY COMBINED ARE THE SOUL)."

Genesis 2:4-7

The scriptures are not a science journal and do not give specifics about the creation. It would appear obvious from scientific diiscovery that the creation took a very long time and that simpler forms of life needed to be placed in an orderly way upon the earth in order to prepare for more complex forms of life, utlimately leading to human beings and all the amazing natural resourced we have been provided. If we look at how nature operates today, it seems logical that the creation would have been patiently and orderly completed using eternal, unchangeable principles. If this is so, it tells us allot about the nature of God. He is not a magician, but knows all things and thus has power over all things. He is a loving Father in Heaven who patiently created the wonders of this world over a very long time. All for us.

Colt

The full text of this article is behind a paywall, so I suspect you probably haven't even read the entire thing, but...what does this have to do with Adam and Eve or Lucifer having rebelled against the creator of the universe?
I read it back when it came out. The UB community took note of it because of the date conclusion.

Paper 74
ADAM AND EVE
74:0.1 “ADAM AND EVE arrived on Urantia, from the year A.D. 1934, 37,848 years ago. It was in midseason when the Garden was in the height of bloom that they arrived. At high noon and unannounced, the two seraphic transports, accompanied by the Jerusem personnel intrusted with the transportation of the biologic uplifters to Urantia, settled slowly to the surface of the revolving planet in the vicinity of the temple of the
Universal Father.
All the work of rematerializing the bodies of Adam and Eve was carried on within the precincts of this newly created shrine. And from the time of their arrival ten days passed before they were re-created in dual human form for presentation as the world's new rulers. They regained consciousness simultaneously. The Material Sons and Daughters always serve together. It is the essence of their service at all times and in all places never to be separated. They are designed to work in pairs; seldom do they function alone.”

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
I read it back when it came out. The UB community took note of it because of the date conclusion.

Paper 74
ADAM AND EVE
74:0.1 “ADAM AND EVE arrived on Urantia, from the year A.D. 1934, 37,848 years ago. It was in midseason when the Garden was in the height of bloom that they arrived. At high noon and unannounced, the two seraphic transports, accompanied by the Jerusem personnel intrusted with the transportation of the biologic uplifters to Urantia, settled slowly to the surface of the revolving planet in the vicinity of the temple of the
Universal Father.
All the work of rematerializing the bodies of Adam and Eve was carried on within the precincts of this newly created shrine. And from the time of their arrival ten days passed before they were re-created in dual human form for presentation as the world's new rulers. They regained consciousness simultaneously. The Material Sons and Daughters always serve together. It is the essence of their service at all times and in all places never to be separated. They are designed to work in pairs; seldom do they function alone.”

Aside from a rough date, what the article discusses and whatever you're quoting here are completely separate things.

rational experiences

Veteran Member
If just humans born by sex live inside of a space filled in gas heavens. You apply the human status science. By choice. Not by any status hierarchy.

Science not human is imposed by the thinker human claiming I use it as a base idea of advice.

I can use it to change any type of earth mass also.

So straight away science is told science used science imposed can change anything.

Self is included in the advice.

Humans applying numbers as science by status says yes it seems by human life bio conditions the type of life biology humans own today is around 6000 years old only.

Modern healthy human biology.

So any other pre human body advice is falsified scientific human living life advice. Life continuance life owned status.

Why I wrote the journal human as and by a medical organisation for a law agreement of no looking back falsifying ideas by theology thesis. Science only stated is not natural by any term science.

Thesis itself. False science.

Wandering Monk

Methodological naturalism is key to the scientific method. Without it there would be no science at all.

A theory based on objective evidence is not a "guess".

Problem is, most laymen don't understand the difference between a scientific theory and a hypothesis.

Colt

Aside from a rough date, what the article discusses and whatever you're quoting here are completely separate things.
Adam and Eve “prematurely” introduced new genetic material into the existing gene pool. Eating an apple wasn’t the “sin”.

Last edited:

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Y chromosome adam and mDNA eve existed though they lived thousands of years apart.
The Y chromosomal bottleneck in the Genesis story would be at Noah, not Adam... though from what I understand, it's "Y chromosome Adam" who lived earlier, so that doesn't really help the creationists.

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
Adam and Eve “prematurely” introduced new genetic material into the existing gene pool. Eating an apple wasn’t the “sin”.

The fact that a gene appeared in human history at a certain time does not lead to any conclusion whatsoever about some extraterrestrial Adam and Eve. You're starting with a conclusion and trying to find evidence to somehow fit it, however much you have to stretch. That's not a rational approach to the situation.

Colt

The fact that a gene appeared in human history at a certain time does not lead to any conclusion whatsoever about some extraterrestrial Adam and Eve. You're starting with a conclusion and trying to find evidence to somehow fit it, however much you have to stretch. That's not a rational approach to the situation.
I’m starting with a revelation that sheds light on the fragmented story of Adam that we find in Genesis. There were biological consequences to what happened.

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
I’m starting with a revelation that sheds light on the fragmented story of Adam that we find in Genesis. There were biological consequences to what happened.

You're believing claims in one story that are interpreting things said in another. None of that is evidence that either story is true. The gene article is completely irrelevant to the whole thing, as far as I can see. The evolution of a gene predicting brain size has nothing to do with an alien coming here from another planet accompanied by angels and taking human form in a garden.

Again, you are reasoning backwards here.

Colt

You're believing claims in one story that are interpreting things said in another. None of that is evidence that either story is true. The gene article is completely irrelevant to the whole thing, as far as I can see. The evolution of a gene predicting brain size has nothing to do with an alien coming here from another planet accompanied by angels and taking human form in a garden.

Again, you are reasoning backwards here.
Understanding the past leaves us no choice but to reason backwards. But fair enough.

Fallen Prophet

Apparently some immunologist has recently published a book arguing that evolution and the Christian belief that all humans descended from Adam and Eve are not incompatible.

Christians point to genetics breakthroughs to show Adam and Eve are not incompatible with evolution

From what I gleaned in the article, the idea is that humans descended from earlier hominids but then God also magically created Adam and Eve about 6000 years ago, and their kids Cain and Abel intermarried with other humans who had evolved naturally. So by 1CE, all living humans had some of traceable lineage back to Adam and Eve.

Personally I think this sounds like a desperate attempt to salvage a literal reading of Genesis. But I'm curious what you think? Especially those of you with more knowledge of evolution, biology, genetics, etc.
I believe in a more literal interpretation of Genesis.

I believe that Adam and Eve were real people. That they were the first human beings.

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
All kinds of reasons - but it mainly boils down to my views concerning the Lord Jesus Christ.

If He has literally redeemed us from a literal Fall - then there would have needed to be a literal Adam and Eve.

Wouldn't establishing that there was a literal Fall require us to establish that there was a literal Adam and Eve?