• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Archaeological Evidence For Tower Of Babel

james bond

ziggurat-architecture-archeyes-4.jpg

Example of ziggurat

The story of the Tower and City of Babel is found in Genesis 11:1-9. The setting given for the account us on the plain of Shinar to the final line where the city is identified with Babel. It is clear that the events recorded took place in ancient southern Mesopotamia on the eastern bank of the Euphrates River.

Babel was founded by King Nimrod, according to Genesis 10:9-10.

Up until this point in the Bible, the whole world had one language, meaning one common speech for all people. Hebrew?

The people of the earth had become skilled in construction and decided to build a city with a tower that would reach to heaven. By building the tower, they wanted to make a name for themselves and also prevent the people from being scattered.

God came to see their city and the tower they were building. He perceived their intentions, and in his infinite wisdom, he knew this "stairway to heaven" would only lead the people away from God.

God observed what a powerful force their unity of purpose created. As a result, he confused their language, causing them to speak many different languages so they would not understand each other. By doing this, God thwarted their plans. He also scattered the people of the city all over the face of the earth.

TowerOfBabel-58c230803df78c353c21ecc9.jpg

Artists rendition of Tower of Babel (DEA / G. DAGLI ORTI / Getty Images)

Is there archaeological evidence of the Tower of Babel?
http://christiananswers.net/q-abr/abr-a021.html

The Tower of Babel - Bible Story Summary
Tower of Babel Story: The Perils of Unity, Pride, and Purpose

Bob the Unbeliever

What is most amusing about this whole fairy tale?

Is that the Ultimate Creator of the Earth... is threatened by... what is essentially a pile of stones.

But that supposedly same being, was not threatened by .... humans on the Moon? Or orbital satellites?

That's the problem with trying to base you worldview on a book written by people who were confused about where the sun went at night. They were easily impressed by a pile of bricks.

james bond

One of the things I noticed from this story is God "perceived their intentions, and in his infinite wisdom, he knew this "stairway to heaven" would only lead the people away from God."

Today, we have atheism and evolution to lead the people away from God. Thus, I think God has cut short the lives of atheists and evolutionists even more than the 120-year life span mentioned in the Bible for post-flood humans. The atheists and evolutionists will use evolutionary thinking in order to live longer lives, but it will cut their lives shorter. This is just hypothesis, as I am going by news articles on what evolutionary thinking is leading to.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
ziggurat-architecture-archeyes-4.jpg

Example of ziggurat

The story of the Tower and City of Babel is found in Genesis 11:1-9. The setting given for the account us on the plain of Shinar to the final line where the city is identified with Babel. It is clear that the events recorded took place in ancient southern Mesopotamia on the eastern bank of the Euphrates River.

Babel was founded by King Nimrod, according to Genesis 10:9-10.

Up until this point in the Bible, the whole world had one language, meaning one common speech for all people. Hebrew?

The people of the earth had become skilled in construction and decided to build a city with a tower that would reach to heaven. By building the tower, they wanted to make a name for themselves and also prevent the people from being scattered.

God came to see their city and the tower they were building. He perceived their intentions, and in his infinite wisdom, he knew this "stairway to heaven" would only lead the people away from God.

God observed what a powerful force their unity of purpose created. As a result, he confused their language, causing them to speak many different languages so they would not understand each other. By doing this, God thwarted their plans. He also scattered the people of the city all over the face of the earth.

TowerOfBabel-58c230803df78c353c21ecc9.jpg

Artists rendition of Tower of Babel (DEA / G. DAGLI ORTI / Getty Images)

Is there archaeological evidence of the Tower of Babel?
http://christiananswers.net/q-abr/abr-a021.html

The Tower of Babel - Bible Story Summary
Tower of Babel Story: The Perils of Unity, Pride, and Purpose

How does this prove that the stories are true?

I can prove I have a mother, but if I told you a story of what she told me the only way you'd know if I'm telling the truth is to ask her. Her existences doesn't prove the story is true or there was a story in the first place. Only that I made the claim and she exists. That's about it.

On that note, what historical evidence can you find where we had one language and all of the sudden in one geographical, specific area we all of the sudden talked multiple languages?

Also, all the reference to the story of babel is in the Bible. Is there another place where this story is present as historical findings just as george washington existed?

james bond

Explain the extended life of Dr Stephen Hawking. It does not fit your silly notions.

Hawking is only 75. He just passed the halfway mark. He did suffer ALS that has gradually paralyzed him over the decades. It would be a shame to see him lose his perfect spiritual self.

Bob the Unbeliever

Hawking is only 75. He just passed the halfway mark. He did suffer ALS that has gradually paralyzed him over the decades. It would be a shame to see him lose his perfect spiritual self.

No-- you claimed that your hateful god would murder (untimely death) all atheists because of their atheism.

And I showed an example where that did not happen-- Hawking should have died in his 20's or 30's at best-- but through a combination of modern GODLESS medicine and sheer determination from Hawking, he's lived more than twice that span.

Proving that your god is as powerless as we all suspected...

james bond

How does this prove that the stories are true?

I can prove I have a mother, but if I told you a story of what she told me the only way you'd know if I'm telling the truth is to ask her. Her existences doesn't prove the story is true or there was a story in the first place. Only that I made the claim and she exists. That's about it.

On that note, what historical evidence can you find where we had one language and all of the sudden in one geographical, specific area we all of the sudden talked multiple languages?

Also, all the reference to the story of babel is in the Bible. Is there another place where this story is present as historical findings just as george washington existed?

First, the tower and city of Babel existed. It was found by archaeologists.

babel1.jpg

Base of the tower

Next, the time period is identified.

"The clearest evidence of this is at Ur. There…

…the Early Dynastic ziggurat is completely engulfed by that of Ur-Nammu, but its existence can be safely deduced from the remains of the period in the surrounding courtyard area (Crawford 1977: 27).

Mari also has a firmly established Early Dynastic ziggurat. At Nippur, superimposed ziggurats built by Ur-Nammu (2112-2095) and Naram-Sin (2254-2218) have been confirmed, and it seems likely that a pre-Sargonic ziggurat serves as a foundation (Perrot 1955: 154). Mari also has a firmly established Early Dynastic ziggurat. At Nippur, superimposed ziggurats built by Ur-Nammu (2112-2095) and Naram-Sin (2254-2218) have been confirmed, and it seems likely that a pre-Sargonic ziggurat serves as a foundation (Perrot 1955: 154)."

Please read the Christian Answers article in the OP.

james bond

No-- you claimed that your hateful god would murder (untimely death) all atheists because of their atheism.

And I showed an example where that did not happen-- Hawking should have died in his 20's or 30's at best-- but through a combination of modern GODLESS medicine and sheer determination from Hawking, he's lived more than twice that span.

Proving that your god is as powerless as we all suspected...

LMAO. You're putting words in my mouth.

james bond

Song evidence for the Tower of Babel

"Led Zeppelin Lyrics
"Stairway To Heaven"

There's a lady who's sure all that glitters is gold
And she's buying a stairway to heaven.
When she gets there she knows, if the stores are all closed
With a word she can get what she came for.
Ooh, ooh, and she's buying a stairway to heaven.

There's a sign on the wall but she wants to be sure
'Cause you know sometimes words have two meanings.
In a tree by the brook, there's a songbird who sings,
Sometimes all of our thoughts are misgiven.

Ooh, it makes me wonder,
Ooh, it makes me wonder.

There's a feeling I get when I look to the west,
And my spirit is crying for leaving.
In my thoughts I have seen rings of smoke through the trees,
And the voices of those who stand looking.

Ooh, it makes me wonder,
Ooh, it really makes me wonder.

And it's whispered that soon, if we all call the tune,
Then the piper will lead us to reason.
And a new day will dawn for those who stand long,
And the forests will echo with laughter.

If there's a bustle in your hedgerow, don't be alarmed now,
It's just a spring clean for the May queen.
Yes, there are two paths you can go by, but in the long run
There's still time to change the road you're on.
And it makes me wonder.

Your head is humming and it won't go, in case you don't know,
The piper's calling you to join him,
Dear lady, can you hear the wind blow, and did you know
Your stairway lies on the whispering wind?

And as we wind on down the road
Our shadows taller than our soul.
There walks a lady we all know
Who shines white light and wants to show
How everything still turns to gold.
And if you listen very hard
The tune will come to you at last.
When all are one and one is all
To be a rock and not to roll.

And she's buying a stairway to heaven.

Writer(s): Kenny Gamble, James Patrick, Leon Huff, Robert Plant"

Led Zeppelin Lyrics - Stairway To Heaven

ImmortalFlame

Woke gremlin
LMAO. You're putting words in my mouth.
Ahem...

The atheists and evolutionists will use evolutionary thinking in order to live longer lives, but it will cut their lives shorter. This is just hypothesis, as I am going by news articles on what evolutionary thinking is leading to.
I think he has me on ignore, so could somebody please make him aware of this obvious contradiction. Thank you.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

babel1.jpg

Base of the tower

…the Early Dynastic ziggurat is completely engulfed by that of Ur-Nammu, but its existence can be safely deduced from the remains of the period in the surrounding courtyard area (Crawford 1977: 27).

Mari also has a firmly established Early Dynastic ziggurat. At Nippur, superimposed ziggurats built by Ur-Nammu (2112-2095) and Naram-Sin (2254-2218) have been confirmed, and it seems likely that a pre-Sargonic ziggurat serves as a foundation (Perrot 1955: 154). Mari also has a firmly established Early Dynastic ziggurat. At Nippur, superimposed ziggurats built by Ur-Nammu (2112-2095) and Naram-Sin (2254-2218) have been confirmed, and it seems likely that a pre-Sargonic ziggurat serves as a foundation (Perrot 1955: 154)."

How does the existence of these buildings make the stories true?

Thats like saying just because my mother exists and it's proven, the story she told me is true because I wrote it down and can verify her existence. It's an assumption.

What are some historical and archeological facts that show we spoke one language in a specific area and in that same time period, we had multiple languages?

I read the link. I'm not questioning the existence of the tower but the story related to it.

Rational Agnostic

One of the things I noticed from this story is God "perceived their intentions, and in his infinite wisdom, he knew this "stairway to heaven" would only lead the people away from God."

Today, we have atheism and evolution to lead the people away from God. Thus, I think God has cut short the lives of atheists and evolutionists even more than the 120-year life span mentioned in the Bible for post-flood humans. The atheists and evolutionists will use evolutionary thinking in order to live longer lives, but it will cut their lives shorter. This is just hypothesis, as I am going by news articles on what evolutionary thinking is leading to.

Evolution is a scientific fact that will never be disputed. Your opinion on "evolutionary thinking" is irrelevant and has no bearing on empirically-verifiable reality.

Nietzsche

The Last Prussian
Premium Member
Looks like we can safely add 'archeology' to the grand "List of things @james bond doesn't understand".

I'm beginning to think we should consider scrapping that list and starting on the opposite one, I feel it'd be much more manageable in size.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member

babel1.jpg

Base of the tower

Yes, we all agree that ziggurats existed. We even agree that there was one in Babylon. And that it was a large one.

How does that show your story is valid?

Where is the evidence that there was only one language before that ziggurat was built? Where is the evidence that many new languages were produced at a single point in time corresponding to the building of that ziggurat?

And, of course, the story is a complete fabrication. There were many languages far before the ziggurats were built. Chinese, Egyptian, etc. Care to explain that fact?

Kemosloby

Premium Member
I don't think the bible specifically says what would happen if the built the tower. It only says The LORD said, "If as one people speaking the same language they have begun to do this, then nothing they plan to do will be impossible for them.

And the people were saying this Then they said, "Come, let us build ourselves a city, with a tower that reaches to the heavens, so that we may make a name for ourselves; otherwise we will be scattered over the face of the whole earth."

It doesn't really say why that was wrong. Except perhaps it's as simple as God wanted the people scattered over the face of the Earth.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
But that supposedly same being, was not threatened by .... humans on the Moon? Or orbital satellites?
I actually do know some (Christians) who believe we aren't supposed to be going there, and anytime that they know of a space launch that correlates with bad weather, the space launch is blamed for the weather because it allegedly angered god.
hus, I think God has cut short the lives of atheists and evolutionists even more than the 120-year life span mentioned in the Bible for post-flood humans.
I'll enjoy bursting your bubble: at only 30 years old I have already outlived several people I know who were theists, most of them even Christian. Why did god send car wrecks and painful terminal illnesses after them, rather than me, the one who challenges him, ridicules him, blasphemes against him, and do this thing I call "promoting logical and rational thinking?" (many people would call this tearing down someone's faith).
The atheists and evolutionists will use evolutionary thinking in order to live longer lives
No one does that. Generally, if someone wants a shot at living longer, they exercise, eat better, limit the intake of things like sugar and alcohol, and try to manage stress better. Myself, I keep active, quit smoking many many years ago, try to stick to a better diet, and most people tend to think I'm much younger than 30, with some thinking I'm as young as early/mid 20s.
How's that for an anti-Christ blowing your hypothesis out of the water?

Explain the extended life of Dr Stephen Hawking. It does not fit your silly notions.
BOOM!
Hawking is only 75.
Yup. And he has lived that long despite being an atheist who suffers ALS. Chances are you yourself will not live so long
Song evidence for the Tower of Babel
I've never spoken to them, but I'll go ahead and face palm for Jimmy Page and Robert Plant because that is not what the song is about.
Let's be honest, the song not once mentions god, Babylon, languages, or a confusion of them, or the construction of any towers.