• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Arcades

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
I was a kid before video game consoles in home were really a thing, and even with the ones available, graphics on arcade games were much better, so I found myself spending a fair amount of my free time at the arcade.

Among my favorite arcade games in high school were:
  • Tempest
  • Donkey Kong
  • Galaga
  • Space Invaders
  • Frogger (a very educational game that helped me later in life when I worked delivering Amazon packages)
  • Star Castle
  • Donkey Kong Jr
How much time have you spend in an arcade? What were your favorite games?

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
I spent very little time in arcades. When i went to visit my grandparents i did spend a little time playing arcade games. They lived in a seaside town with several amusement centres.
So perhaps 3 or 4 hours a week when i stayed with them 3 or 4 times a year.

Favourite games?

Asteroids
Defender
Pac man
There was a wireframe tank game that i liked but don't remember the name

ImmortalFlame

Woke gremlin
Arcades weren't really a thing over here in the UK much, so any arcade games I got to play were usually in bowling alleys and public swimming pools. I remember playing a lot of Street Fighter II at a pool when I was very young; might be one of my earliest gaming memories.

However, a few years ago a private arcade game collector with a fair bit of money to spare just so happened to open Europe's largest free-play arcade in Bury, Greater Manchester. It's effectively a four-floor warehouse with every floor filled with a mix of classic, modern and imported arcade machines (also, VR and other current-gen consoles), all rigged to play for free. You just pay to enter. Been there a couple of times, and loved it every time.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I used to be really good at some pinball games. A quarter, inflation adjusted that would be a dollar today, use to often last a half an hour. Inflation and not keeping up on games is probably why I have lost almost all interest. Though I still feel a tug when it comes to a well designed pinball game. In a proper game there are a series of goals that you have to accomplish to earn even more points. And then, some genius invented the multiball. When you have to let go of conscientious thought and work on an almost instinctive level. Okay, calm down. I could not find an arcade today if I wanted to and they do not have very many of my favorite dinosaurs any longer:coldsweat:

ChristineM

Premium Member
Arcades weren't really a thing over here in the UK much, so any arcade games I got to play were usually in bowling alleys and public swimming pools. I remember playing a lot of Street Fighter II at a pool when I was very young; might be one of my earliest gaming memories.

However, a few years ago a private arcade game collector with a fair bit of money to spare just so happened to open Europe's largest free-play arcade in Bury, Greater Manchester. It's effectively a four-floor warehouse with every floor filled with a mix of classic, modern and imported arcade machines (also, VR and other current-gen consoles), all rigged to play for free. You just pay to enter. Been there a couple of times, and loved it every time.

You're from Bury? We used to go to the market there now and again. I was born and dragged up in Ribchester

ImmortalFlame

Woke gremlin
You're from Bury? We used to go to the market there now and again. I was born and dragged up in Ribchester
I'm from Manchester, but I've been up there a few times. Went to the arcade very recently, in fact. Used to go the market every once in a while, primarily for black pudding.

Regiomontanus

Ματαιοδοξία ματαιοδοξιών! Όλα είναι ματαιοδοξία.
I spent very little time in arcades. When i went to visit my grandparents i did spend a little time playing arcade games. They lived in a seaside town with several amusement centres.
So perhaps 3 or 4 hours a week when i stayed with them 3 or 4 times a year.

Favourite games?

Asteroids
Defender
Pac man
There was a wireframe tank game that i liked but don't remember the name

ahh, Battlezone.

Play it now:

ChristineM

Premium Member
ahh, Battlezone.

Play it now:

Similar though i seem to remember a black background with green wire frame
Maybe a knockoff clone

exchemist

Veteran Member
I was a kid before video game consoles in home were really a thing, and even with the ones available, graphics on arcade games were much better, so I found myself spending a fair amount of my free time at the arcade.

Among my favorite arcade games in high school were:
  • Tempest
  • Donkey Kong
  • Galaga
  • Space Invaders
  • Frogger (a very educational game that helped me later in life when I worked delivering Amazon packages)
  • Star Castle
  • Donkey Kong Jr
How much time have you spend in an arcade? What were your favorite games?
None. At university I played Pacman and Space Invaders in the pub a few times. But this was in the 1970s. I'm not sure arcades were even a thing then.

Regiomontanus

Ματαιοδοξία ματαιοδοξιών! Όλα είναι ματαιοδοξία.
None. At university I played Pacman and Space Invaders in the pub a few times. But this was in the 1970s. I'm not sure arcades were even a thing then.

They were a thing in the mid to late 70s, at least here in the states.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
The remnants of my grant that wasn't spent on beer went on Asteroids. One time in the hall of residence bar I started a game just as my mates went off to see Man City. When they got back I was still playing the same game :oops: