• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Appalachian Hick culture

Duke_Leto

I’m from Tennessee, albeit not the more rural areas. Like @Sunstone said, they’re just people. Media like to depict Appalachians as uneducated, dumb, racist, or whatever, but from my experience that generally isn’t true, with the exception perhaps of education — which, still, doesn’t make them stupid. They’re typically relatively accepting and friendly; though, especially to Northeners like yourself, they (and this applies to a lot of rural Southerners in general) smile less and act less outwardly “warm” when they’re being friendly than Northeners do, and I think this, along with simple old-fashioned classism, is why they tend to be depicted as racist gun-toting slackjawed idiots, possibly conflated with other rural Southern stereotypes.

The region has always struggled economically though. In east Tenessee, I think things were a bit better when Knoxville was more of an industrial city, but now I don’t really know how that area is doing — especially since I don’t live in Tennessee anymore — and I suspect Knoxville’s mostly a college town now, so I doubt it can really prop up the rural economy too much.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I’m from Tennessee, albeit not the more rural areas. Like @Sunstone said, they’re just people. Media like to depict Appalachians as uneducated, dumb, racist, or whatever, but from my experience that generally isn’t true, with the exception perhaps of education — which, still, doesn’t make them stupid. They’re typically relatively accepting and friendly; though, especially to Northeners like yourself, they (and this applies to a lot of rural Southerners in general) smile less and act less outwardly “warm” when they’re being friendly than Northeners do, and I think this, along with simple old-fashioned classism, is why they tend to be depicted as racist gun-toting slackjawed idiots, possibly conflated with other rural Southern stereotypes.

The region has always struggled economically though. In east Tenessee, I think things were a bit better when Knoxville was more of an industrial city, but now I don’t really know how that area is doing — especially since I don’t live in Tennessee anymore — and I suspect Knoxville’s mostly a college town now, so I doubt it can really prop up the rural economy too much.

BSM1

What? Me worry?

Like my Virginia Grandmother taught me, just because you hate someone's guts that no reason to be rude.