• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Appalachian Hick culture

Spiderman

Veteran Member
So lately I've been studying other cultures and the third world America.

If there's one culture that freaks me out after radical Islamic regimes, it's the Appalachian hick culture.

What do you know about Appalachian Hicks?

Truthfully I don't know anything about them, just that the music I grew up listening to and acquaintances, commonly portray them as wearing overhauls, mullets, chewing tobacco, waving Confederate flags, bigotry, drinking moonshine, having really bad teeth, inbreeding, and supposedly they speak a different form of English and are quite uneducated.

Do you have a YouTube or meme that captures the culture or demonstrates how they talk? It has the potential to be mildly amusing. :D

I'm just grateful I wasn't born into that. I tend to go to the inner city ghettos, because that's where the free food and shelter is... I prefer that over Appalachian hick any day. Thank you Jesus! :)

d5085a18bd4655715847e82a27ac098c--folktale-biographies.jpg
441496_v2.jpg

Spiderman

Veteran Member
It's always good to be grateful for what we have.

It can help a person have a more accurate basis for counting their blessings, when they study other cultures.

Sorry @BSM1 , I don't mean to diss family or nothing...:p :D

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
They're just people. I almost married one once. At least, she was originally from Appalachia. I met her in Chicago. We spent almost two years seeing each other about five times a week, laughing at each other's jokes, before we became intimate. It was about then I was forced to leave town due to a much better job elsewhere. She didn't follow me for family reasons and we eventually lost contact. A good person. Kind, intelligent, down to earth, and witty, of course.

Spiderman

Veteran Member
They're just people. I almost married one once. At least, she was originally from Appalachia. I met her in Chicago. We spent almost two years seeing each other about five times a week, laughing at each other's jokes, before we became intimate. It was about then I was forced to leave town due to a much better job elsewhere. She didn't follow me for family reasons and we eventually lost contact. A good person. Kind, intelligent, down to earth, and witty, of course.
So, did she speak a different dialect?

Spiderman

Veteran Member
The Appalachian hick and redneck culture as its stereotyped in the media, by acquaintances, and the music I used to listen to, has forever tarnished my views.

It gives me similar feelings to how I feel when I see a Muslim in my city dressed up like Darth Vader, it's something I pity and don't want anything to do with...

It could be worse! :)

Orbit

I'm a planet
My aunt (by marriage) is an Appalachian hick. She says "hit" instead of it and is a generally disagreeable person. I'm sure there are plenty salt-of-the-earth good people from Appalachia though

Stanyon

WWMRD?
Never been there but last time I checked it was the poorest area in the U.S. along with having very little opportunity, funny thing is that their overall crime rate is about %45 lower than the national average.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
The Appalachian hick and redneck culture as its stereotyped in the media, by acquaintances, and the music I used to listen to, has forever tarnished my views.

It gives me similar feelings to how I feel when I see a Muslim in my city dressed up like Darth Vader, it's something I pity and don't want anything to do with...

It could be worse! :)

You shouldn't believe everything you see in the media. You might find more compassion here among the poorest than any shelter in any given big city. However, the pic with the lady holding that small cannon puts me in mind of my grandmother who carried a .22 pistol in her apron pocket until the day she died. I will give you this, in the hills and hollers of WV where my family came from the people tend to be very clannish ( and sometimes they look very similar to each other).

David1967

Premium Member

If there's one culture that freaks me out after radical Islamic regimes, it's the Appalachian hick culture.

Truthfully I don't know anything about them, just that the music I grew up listening to and acquaintances, commonly portray them as wearing overhauls, mullets, chewing tobacco, waving Confederate flags, bigotry, drinking moonshine, having really bad teeth, inbreeding, and supposedly they speak a different form of English and are quite uneducated.

Do you have a YouTube or meme that captures the culture or demonstrates how they talk? It has the potential to be mildly amusing. :D

I'm just grateful I wasn't born into that. I tend to go to the inner city ghettos, because that's where the free food and shelter is... I prefer that over Appalachian hick any day. Thank you Jesus! :)

View attachment 21461 View attachment 21462

I think the lady holding the gun in the picture is in Alaska. She is on the show about people who live alone in the Alaska wilds.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
I spent 3 years living in the hills of West Virginia. The people I met there are very friendly and are some of the most hospitable people I've ever met. Granted, there are some that are very private, closely bred, and have an aversion to bathing more than once a week, and if you wander onto their land, you may be staring at the business end of a shotgun, but I found that to be the minority.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
I spent 3 years living in the hills of West Virginia. The people I met there are very friendly and are some of the most hospitable people I've ever met. Granted, there are some that are very private, closely bred, and have an aversion to bathing more than once a week, and if you wander onto their land, you may be staring at the business end of a shotgun, but I found that to be the minority.

Which area of WV (north, south, etc.)?

Spiderman

Veteran Member
You shouldn't believe everything you see in the media. You might find more compassion here among the poorest than any shelter in any given big city. However, the pic with the lady holding that small cannon puts me in mind of my grandmother who carried a .22 pistol in her apron pocket until the day she died. I will give you this, in the hills and hollers of WV where my family came from the people tend to be very clannish ( and sometimes they look very similar to each other).
I agree that I have some judgements that come from bias and stereotypes in the media, the music I listened to, and acquaintances.

I'm sure I'd see things differently if I actually lived with them.

The media and entertainment industry can really screw with a person's view regarding many things, and in this case, the way rednecks and Hillbillies are stereotyped, has led me to some unfair judgements and phobias.

I lived for a few months on a foster home which was a sheep farm.

My foster parents were technically Hicks and Hillbillies. They were very kind and tender people, innocent in many ways, and didn't fly Confederate flags, drink moonshine, practice incest, and harbor hatred for other ethnicities, as Hillbillies are sometimes portrayed, especially in the music I listened to, and some of what I saw on TV and heard from other people.

MrMrdevincamus

Voice Of The Martyrs Supporter

Xenophobia and or the demeaning an individual or culture is a sure way to acknowledge to others they themselves feel inferior. Bigotry and ethnocentricity are hallmarks of emotional pain of those that are heaping on the insults. So I try to forgive and maybe educate such people rather than dislike them for their misconceptions.

Last edited:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member

It's never a good idea to take very different groups, & combine them
into one based upon some not so significant trait, eg, geography.

I could describe northern urban culture as poor & violent young black men
who wear black evening gowns, & eat caviar at swanky art gallery shows.