• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Apeal to all for integrity

DavyCrocket2003

Hello y'all! This thread is a result of some thinking I have been doing. It seems to me that we are all really good at talking the talk (this is a forum after all), but I'm not sure how well we walk the walk. I think it is hypocritical for us to say one thing, and do another. Besides being hypocritical, it really takes the meaning out of the things we say. I would like each of us to stop and think about what we believe, and why. Give it some real thought. Can you honestly say that you live in 100% harmony with your beliefs? I know I can't. If you can, congratulations! If not... shame on you. Why not? I can think of a hundred excuses. But that's what they are excuses. We have no excuse for not living what we believe. I believe that it is imperative that we each strive to live exactly in harmony with what we profess. Until then we have no business complaining about anything or anyone else. If we don't live what we believe is right, how can we point a finger at others and say "hey, that's not right!" I am asking you all to do something that may be very difficult. But I believe we are morally and rationally obliged to do it. I am asking you, regardless of your beliefs, to commit yourself to living by them. I am challenging you to raise your behavior to the level demanded by your sense of ethics and morality. I am asking you, for your own sake, and for the sake of all humanity, to do what is right.

DavyCrocket2003

:) I am going to accept my challenge. It will be very hard, but very worth it. I commit to you all that I am going to do my darndest to live up to what I believe. From this very instant I am going to demand that I act in accordance with the principles of living that I espouse. I'm a little nervous. But it feels good really.

MSizer

MSizer
There is not a single person whose actions are %100 in harmony with his or her values. Every person is hypocritical, but some more than others. You're way too idealistic. We are not morally obligated to live %100 in harmony with our values, because we are not able to. It is not reasonable to hold a person accountable for something s/he is not able to do.

Furthermore, "do what is right" is a little bit on the vague side to put it lightly.

DavyCrocket2003

There is not a single person whose actions are %100 in harmony with his or her values. Every person is hypocritical, but some more than others. You're way too idealistic. We are not morally obligated to live %100 in harmony with our values, because we are not able to. It is not reasonable to hold a person accountable for something s/he is not able to do.

Furthermore, "do what is right" is a little bit on the vague side to put it lightly.

You're right. I was vague and confusing. Let me put it this way. Using intellect and reason, ponder and evaluate your values and how your actions should relate to them. It will not always be clear what the best course of action is. You are the moral legislator of your own life. If it is impossible to live in 100% agreement with what your expectations, you have unrealistic expectations. You are not a fair judge. What I ask us each to do, is to attempt to determine what the best decision is, and then to make that decision. Sometimes we will be wrong and sometimes we will be right. But we will have done our best. And as we make mistakes, we can reflect on them and gain experience and wisdom.

Last edited:

Erebus

Hello y'all! This thread is a result of some thinking I have been doing. It seems to me that we are all really good at talking the talk (this is a forum after all), but I'm not sure how well we walk the walk. I think it is hypocritical for us to say one thing, and do another. Besides being hypocritical, it really takes the meaning out of the things we say. I would like each of us to stop and think about what we believe, and why. Give it some real thought. Can you honestly say that you live in 100% harmony with your beliefs? I know I can't. If you can, congratulations! If not... shame on you. Why not? I can think of a hundred excuses. But that's what they are excuses. We have no excuse for not living what we believe. I believe that it is imperative that we each strive to live exactly in harmony with what we profess. Until then we have no business complaining about anything or anyone else. If we don't live what we believe is right, how can we point a finger at others and say "hey, that's not right!" I am asking you all to do something that may be very difficult. But I believe we are morally and rationally obliged to do it. I am asking you, regardless of your beliefs, to commit yourself to living by them. I am challenging you to raise your behavior to the level demanded by your sense of ethics and morality. I am asking you, for your own sake, and for the sake of all humanity, to do what is right.

heh, this challenge is ridiculously easy for me considering my beliefs and values revolve around chaos :cool:
Do I help an old lady cross the street? Depends on whether I feel like it or not. No hypocrisy there...

DavyCrocket2003

heh, this challenge is ridiculously easy for me considering my beliefs and values revolve around chaos :cool:
Do I help an old lady cross the street? Depends on whether I feel like it or not. No hypocrisy there...
Really? Wow. That's a paradigm shift all right!:eek: Well, I don't agree with you at all. I think you should help the lady. But do what your conscience and intellect say. (BTW, I think your conscience depends on your intellect.) Good luck to you as well.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
I think I do fairly well.

You never struck me as the hypocritical sort. Perhaps, if you find yourself making excuses for not meeting your own standards, the problem is with the standards.

DavyCrocket2003

I think I do fairly well.

You never struck me as the hypocritical sort. Perhaps, if you find yourself making excuses for not meeting your own standards, the problem is with the standards.
Good for you! That's great, really.

Yes, my expectations are very, very high. But I believe they are possible to meet. Wow. My life would be amazing if I met them... The truth is, most of the time, I just kind of let life happen. From now on I am going to do my best to analyze every facet of it and try to behave according to what I determine is the best I can possibly be doing.

DavyCrocket2003

Example: As a Christian I believe in Jesus Christ. He is our example. I should be living a life patterned after his characteristics. Charity, compassion, selfless service of my fellow human beings, complete lack of care for the praise and honor of men, etc. I have a long way to go in all of these areas.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Good for you! That's great, really.
Well, I don't mean to say that I'm perfect. But I follow my ethics as strictly as circumstances allow.

For instance, ethical consumerism. I can't always afford the fair trade coffee, which is quite expensive. I feel a bit bad buying the cheap stuff, but I don't beat myself up over it. And I never go to Wal-Mart!

If I had to summarize my ethos in a single sentence, it would be "do nothing that shames you." And I don't.

Yes, my expectations are very, very high. But I believe they are possible to meet. Wow. My life would be amazing if I met them... The truth is, most of the time, I just kind of let life happen. From now on I am going to do my best to analyze every facet of it and try to behave according to what I determine is the best I can possibly be doing.
Could you summarize the principles you feel you should live by?

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Example: As a Christian I believe in Jesus Christ. He is our example. I should be living a life patterned after his characteristics. Charity, compassion, selfless service of my fellow human beings, complete lack of care for the praise and honor of men, etc. I have a long way to go in all of these areas.
So, you want to be more selfless? A difficult but noble goal. I wish you the best of luck. :candle:

DavyCrocket2003

Could you summarize the principles you feel you should live by?

Well, the Gospel of Jesus Christ. You can really start with any one principle and it will grow to include all the others. I'll use the one I like: love. I believe that God does everything out of love. Because I am trying to be like him, everything I do should be motivated out of love. That is just one example.

DavyCrocket2003

So, you want to be more selfless? A difficult but noble goal. I wish you the best of luck. :candle:
Thank you!:)
Living my beliefs, which encompass my religion, really has no bound. I believe that God does not ask us to do anything which he will not provide a way for us to accomplish. And he has asked us to do a great many things. It is with his help that I hope to accomplish my goals of self mastery.

Last edited:

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
Expanding on what Storm has said, there are sets of beliefs that can be at odds with everyday reality, we don't have the ideal conditions to live by every supreme ideal.
also many ideals are meant to inspire certain behavior and reality, they are not meant to take the place of the realism with which we should face the circumstances which surround us, many scriptures give us a narrative, sometime with circumstances which are meant to highlight the important points of the narrative, these points are meant to inspire something, but to expand on that, lets just say, that people today do not fast in the desert for 40 days, the real everyday circumstances of their life is which sauce to add to their Greek salad.

DavyCrocket2003

Expanding on what Storm has said, there are sets of beliefs that can be at odds with everyday reality, we don't have the ideal conditions to live by every supreme ideal... the real everyday circumstances of their life is which sauce to add to their Greek salad.

I think I understand what you are saying. And I don't think it has to conflict with what I'm saying. Let me see if I can simplify my position. Why do you do what you do? Because you feel like it? Or because you believe it is the right thing to do? I hold that everything we do should be because of the latter.

Vasilisa Jade

Formerly Saint Tigeress
Hello y'all! This thread is a result of some thinking I have been doing. It seems to me that we are all really good at talking the talk (this is a forum after all), but I'm not sure how well we walk the walk. I think it is hypocritical for us to say one thing, and do another. Besides being hypocritical, it really takes the meaning out of the things we say. I would like each of us to stop and think about what we believe, and why. Give it some real thought. Can you honestly say that you live in 100% harmony with your beliefs?

Well, when beliefs are in a constant state of eternal progression, that is like seeking harmony with a flowing river. The rocks would symbolize your markers of concreteness, yet the rest still flows. The key is to isolate those rocks I think, and hold to them. Let them create themselves from within. Don't let others throw them in your river. Then, be open to the possibility that the river could dislodge one of your rocks, sweeping it up river until it is broken apart and becomes part of the flow once agian. Can harmony be made with a river? I don't know, but I think the first step would be accepting it for what it is. I think for me, that is what it is.

I know I can't. If you can, congratulations! If not... shame on you. Why not? I can think of a hundred excuses. But that's what they are excuses. We have no excuse for not living what we believe. I believe that it is imperative that we each strive to live exactly in harmony with what we profess.

If you are too hard on yourself it could damage your love for yourself.

Exactly. As in the case of the missionaries who went to try and save the tribal ladies from female circumcision. They did change thier minds, and they were right in trying, but that brought great repercussions which created a larger tradgesy than what they were experiencing before. It is possible to be harmed by "what is right." Light can bring warmth but it can also blind.

Expanding on what Storm has said, there are sets of beliefs that can be at odds with everyday reality, we don't have the ideal conditions to live by every supreme ideal.
also many ideals are meant to inspire certain behavior and reality,
Right, in which most of the ideals neither harm the doer or anything else. It can't even be realistically wedged into "wrong."

I think "right" and "wrong" are both coins with two opposite sides, one that heals and one that harms.

I think I understand what you are saying. And I don't think it has to conflict with what I'm saying. Let me see if I can simplify my position. Why do you do what you do? Because you feel like it? Or because you believe it is the right thing to do? I hold that everything we do should be because of the latter.

Unless it is harmful.

My opinion. :)

Harm for me, is the platform by which I decide what is right. Harm none... (unless for protection. lol) You can't be biased with harm, there is no middle ground, no justification. It is either harmful or it isn't. Then I go from there.

So with the lady crossing the street, if you see that she is blind and about to walk into incoming traffic and you turn away adn let her kill herself... sure you didn't kill her, but your lack of acting on that awareness did. It's indirect but it's still harm by you. Unknowing actions that bring harm accidentally of course can only be learned from. If you don't learn, well that's a problem.

I'm babbling. I have no idea what I am talking about. lol.

Last edited:

DavyCrocket2003

Well, when beliefs are in a constant state of eternal progression, that is like seeking harmony with a flowing river. The rocks would symbolize your markers of concreteness, yet the rest still flows. The key is to isolate those rocks I think, and hold to them. Let them create themselves from within. Don't let others throw them in your river. Then, be open to the possibility that the river could dislodge one of your rocks, sweeping it up river until it is broken apart and becomes part of the flow once agian. Can harmony be made with a river? I don't know, but I think the first step would be accepting it for what it is. I think for me, that is what it is.
Beautiful analogy!

jtartar

Davy Crocket,
Your post sounds good, but very few people have studied God's word enough even to know what we should do to please God.
The reason that most people know very little about God is because of the religious leaders today. Many of them question the truthfulness or accurracy, of the Holy Scriptures. Many teach that much of the Bible is written as an illustration or parable, and not meant to be taken literally. All this undermines the force of the Holy Scriptures, and makes people believe that the Bible is not definite about teachings, that we just have to determine for ourselves what is right, FOR OURSELF. The Bible actually tells us ONE WAY to live, and we are all under obligation to learn what that one way is, Rom 12:2, 14:15,10, 10:2,3, Phil 1:9,10, Col 1:9,10, 1Cor 8:11, Heb 5:12-14.
In what is called the epichristian times Christianity was even called:THE WAY, Acts 9:2, 19:9, 24:22. Christianity is still the ONLY WAY. The term Christianity, means a follower of Christ. Jesus Christ is the only name that has been given to men through whom we all MUST get saved, Acts 4:12.