• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Any Pro-Gun Liberals?

Apex

Somewhere Around Nothing
The police have no legal obligation to protect you.

Besides, have you seen how long it takes them to get places? Even if they could theoretically get anywhere they need to be in just 3 minutes (which they can't. Not even close), that's 3 minutes where the woman could have easily been raped or killed. Then the police finally get there and there's a good chance you have yourself a dead woman. Besides, in that situation, think you could whip out a phone, call 911, and coherently explain what you need? Just calling the police is a good way to get yourself killed in many cases, while simply shooting the rapist could completely end the situation in mere seconds.

I don't give a damn about the rapist's family in this case. When it could come down to either your life or his, you kill. It's that simple.
Don't worry, when only seconds matter, the police are only minutes away.

Poisonshady313

I hope you're not implying that all liberals buy the "9/11 was an inside job" conspiracy,
Of course not. It's just one guy. and he most certainly identifies himself as a liberal.

but maybe your friend thinks he will be able to trust the government once the right people are placed in office.

on some levels, I suppose you're right. On others... I'm pretty sure he's itching to leave this country as soon as he has the means and opportunity.

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
define "pro-gun".... I can dismantle and put a 9mm back together again blindfolded. But I don't own one.

I believe people should have the right to keep and bare arms... but I also think there should be some common sense involved.

I personally think guns should be treated more like cars. You learn to properly care and use it, you get a license, you register the gun and if you are irresponsible you get points off and can loose them if you are a threat.

wa:do

DarkSun

:eltiT
Not unless the police have some sort of teleporter technology so they can arrive before the victim is brutally penetrated by her assailant.

Are you seriously trying to suggest it's better to allow a woman to be raped than to wound or kill her attacker to prevent it?

Okay, let's say the rapist has a gun too and he threatens to take the woman's life if you interfere. That's not exactly an unlikely turn of events considering that you're suggesting that you'll have a gun on you at the time, so why shouldn't he?

If no one had a gun, then no one would have to die or be wounded at all. If you got a bunch of people together and forcably removed him, restrained him and called the police, maybe then no one would need to even be harmed at all.

Or would you rather just shoot him to make it a bit easier?

Inflicting pain, suffering or even death on another person irregardless of what wrong they have been percieved to have committed, is just immoral and nonsensical to the extreme because there is always an alternative. In going and shooting the rapist, or any person committing wrong, you descend to the moral level of the villain in that circumstance.

Call that "soppy prattle" or "irrational" if you wish.

Personally, I think the world could do with a whole lot less rationality at times and a whole lot more "soppy prattle".

Last edited:

DarkSun

Funny thing - I have a friend over in the United States who absolutely loves his/her pets. She/he's the most compassionate and caring owner I know.

Tragically, his/her dog decided to wonder off of her owner's property. The dog just come back from the vet, mind you. The poor dog unknowingly "trespassed" onto the neighbour's property and got shot with a BB gun as a result.

<_<

The dog is still in the vet.

There are morons out there who will use a gun for all of the wrong reasons, showing a complete lack of consideration for the wellfare of others.

What if you replaced the dog with a two-year old kid?

Whatever potential guns have to do good in this world is heavily undermined by all of the bad that they have done, and still do to this day.

America has the highest mortality rate resulting from guns in the entire world - innocent people die.

In comparison to that, any one or two cases of wounding a rapist to save a woman's life becomes absolutely trivial in the grand scheme where entire families are murdered in cold blood.

I'll repeat myself. If no one had a gun, then no one would need one.

Last edited:

Alceste

Vagabond
Surely a 90 pound woman could easily run away from a 350 pound man. No gun needed, he'd have a massive coronary from the exertion.

Apex

Somewhere Around Nothing
Surely a 90 pound woman could easily run away from a 350 pound man. No gun needed, he'd have a massive coronary from the exertion.
Wow, I never thought of that. And know what, I bet you none of the women who have ever been raped ever thought of that as well. Why didn't they just run away after they had been jumped by a man stronger then themselves and pinned to the ground. Genius!

Alceste

Vagabond
Wow, I never thought of that. And know what, I bet you none of the women who have ever been raped ever thought of that as well. Why didn't they just run away after they had been jumped by a man stronger then themselves and pinned to the ground. Genius!

Just calling attention to the fact that a 350 pound man can't move too quick.

Zephyr

Moved on
I'm sorry, but that's utterly barbaric.
That's survival. Also, banning guns doesn't get rid of guns. Say we enact a full gun ban. Now the big guy still has his gun but the woman doesn't. We just took away her one line of defense. The police can't do crap. Even if they were quick and efficient they're still just too dang slow. People need to defend themselves and not rely on the police.

Alceste

Vagabond
That's survival. Also, banning guns doesn't get rid of guns. Say we enact a full gun ban. Now the big guy still has his gun but the woman doesn't. We just took away her one line of defense. The police can't do crap. Even if they were quick and efficient they're still just too dang slow. People need to defend themselves and not rely on the police.

I think even a 90 pound guy with a gun could rape a 350 pound woman.

Ladies, before you take all this to heart and rush out buying firearms to defend yourselves from the rapists lurking around every street corner, heed these wise words of advice, passed on from the Happy Hooker to her step-daughter, who I met on a train in Barcelona:

If you are ever in a situation you fear might turn into a rape, be sexually aggressive. Act like you're totally up for it. The odds are VERY good the rapist will not want to, or be able to, follow through. Rape is about power, not sex.

Now that sounded crazy to me, but she said she'd tried it, and it worked, and the Happy Hooker would know, if anyone would.

Zephyr

Moved on
Yeah, just like sports cars. ;)
I was tempted to make a joke about how I can still easily get away with riding a bike everywhere, but I'm not sure if that'd be too risque or not.

Therefore, I would like everybody to assume I said such a thing, unless such an assumption would offend your sensibilities.

AlexWylde

Just a fool.
I wouldn't consider myself a "liberal", because I think it's incredibly pigeon-holing that we have two choices as political participants in America. That being said, I am definitely liberally minded. But also very conservatively minded--I do my hardest to find the solid, unbiased facts, and strictly base my beliefs on those facts. But I do tend to agree with liberals on a lot of things.

ANYWAYS. Yeah, I'm pro-gun. It's an essential defense mechanism. I intend to get a concealed weapons permit as soon as I'm old enough.

kai

ragamuffin
everytime i read a fire arms thread i think most people are prone to extreme violence and killing is about extreme as you can get, the mesmerising influence of weapons never fails to amaze me , a lot of people keep them just to look at them, feel them, clean them and imagine firing them. ( you know who you are ) and would not give up their precious for anything.

DarkSun

Oh I'm sorry... I guess I live in my own naive little world where people are a rung above animals. Don't mind me.

:eek:

By the way, you're right, banning guns wouldn't remove guns from the underworld. It would just mean that they're a hell of a lot harder to get your hands on, and if you put two and two together, that would usually mean that less people would have them, particularly the wrong ones.

Hey, the statistics from all other parts of the world where guns are illegal seem to support that fact, don't you think?

Last edited:

Apex

Somewhere Around Nothing
By the way, you're right, banning guns wouldn't remove guns from the underworld. It would just mean that they're a hell of a lot harder to get your hands on, and if you put two and two together, that would usually mean that less people would have them, particularly the wrong ones.
Oh you mean like how it is really difficult to get your hands on illegal drugs? Oh wait, it isn't difficult, in fact it is unbelievably easy. One look at the drug market and the millions of pounds of drugs that are smuggled over our borders every year should show banning guns will not work. If guns become illegal, they will replace the drugs being smuggled across our borders and the black market will boom with illegal firearms. Then it will be only the criminals who possess them.

kai

ragamuffin
Oh you mean like how it is really difficult to get your hands on illegal drugs? Oh wait, it isn't difficult, in fact it is unbelievably easy. One look at the drug market and the millions of pounds of drugs that are smuggled over our borders every year should show banning guns will not work. If guns become illegal, they will replace the drugs being smuggled across our borders and the black market will boom with illegal firearms. Then it will be only the criminals who possess them.

yep thats the general idea , it would be illegal ,

now i suspect that criminals are in the minority and armed criminals a minority of that , with criminals armed with a fire arm a minority of that minority,

so in say the UK with a population of 60 million if only criminals armed with a fire arm were to stand up and be counted it would be a very small number ( before the clamour of prove it comes, that just my opinion)

but if firearms were available to all, then we could see millions of firearms on this island-----no thanks