• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Any Pro-Gun Liberals?

I always have a Glock 9mm under the driver's seat of the van and always will.

Gun control is to me like abortion: if you don't believe in it, don't get one, and otherwise mind your own business.

The gun control panic by hunters, self-defense advocates, etc. stymied much social progress. People were tricked into voting against themselves and as a liberal i have to say it was our own dang fault.

A

angellous_evangellous

I have a Ruger 9mm and a Mossberg 12 gauge. One of them is within reach just about all the time.

Smoke

Done here.
Matt.26:[52] Then said Jesus unto him, Put up again thy sword into his place: for all they that take the sword shall perish with the sword.
In the U.S., we don't have to listen to Jesus unless we want to. We just have to listen, constantly, to people who consider themselves his followers.

I don't have any problem with people having guns. I don't own a gun myself, though, because it's not the criminals who scare me, it's the government -- and the government can always outgun you, so what's the point?

A

angellous_evangellous

In the U.S., we don't have to listen to Jesus unless we want to. We just have to listen, constantly, to people who consider themselves his followers.

I don't have any problem with people having guns. I don't own a gun myself, though, because it's not the criminals who scare me, it's the government -- and the government can always outgun you, so what's the point?

Ha! The criminals don't scare me, either (because I will kill them, legally if I must), and frankly I don't care what the government does about gun laws. It's nice that it's legal, but as long as I am in this hell-hole, I am armed and the arms will be easy to get to and use.

doppelganger

Through the Looking Glass
I always have a Glock 9mm under the driver's seat of the van and always will.
"They say Samuel Colt made all men equal. Gaston Glock made some of them more equal."

I'm generally for protecting the right to own weapons. It's no less in the Constitution than the rest of the amendments. Obviously there would have to be reasonable intrusions on those rights where justified by a compelling public interest, but those intrusions should generally be looked at carefully. It's where that line should be drawn where the fighting really occurs on the gun rights issues.

I don't own a gun and never have though, despite what you may have heard about all Texans (perhaps I'm still not a true Texan).

A

angellous_evangellous

doppelgänger;1066119 said:
"They say Samuel Colt made all men equal. Gaston Glock made some of them more equal."

That's funny.

I like my 9mm a lot (so powerful it kinda scares me - seems more prone to accidents), but would prefer the Mossberg.

A

angellous_evangellous

doppelgänger;1066119 said:

I'm generally for protecting the right to own weapons. It's no less in the Constitution than the rest of the amendments. Obviously there would have to be reasonable intrusions on those rights where justified by a compelling public interest, but those intrusions should generally be looked at carefully. It's where that line should be drawn where the fighting really occurs on the gun rights issues.

I don't own a gun and never have though, despite what you may have heard about all Texans (perhaps I'm still not a true Texan).

I wouldn't if I had children. I'll have to put up the guns for a baseball bat. :(

Somkid

I owned a few guns when I lived in the USA, I had a S&W 5906 9MM, S&W model 66 K frame 357, Colt mustang II .380, and lots of big long guns. Now I have no guns and although they are readily available and legal I live in a place where I don't feel the need to have one.

Kungfuzed

Student Nurse
I want a samurai sword, but my wife won't let me get one. :sad4:

I had a 12 guage shotgun growing up. My dad keeps it at his place. I've never owned a handgun. If we ever have an intruder I'll have to grab a kitchen knife.

Fluffy

A fool
I'm an anti-gun liberal or at least an anti-gun-ownership-in-the-USA liberal because:

Country/Firearm related deaths per 100,000 residents/Guns per 100 residents
England & Wales/0.46/5.6
Spain/0.9/11
Greece/1.5/23
Germany/1.57/30
Sweden/2.36/31.5
Australia/2.94/15.5
Italy/2.95/12.1
Austria/4.56/31
Canada/4.78/31.5
France/6.35/32
Switzerland/6.4/46
Finland/6.86/55
United States/15.22/90

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
I'm an anti-gun liberal or at least an anti-gun-ownership-in-the-USA liberal because:

Country/Firearm related deaths per 100,000 residents/Guns per 100 residents
England & Wales/0.46/5.6
Spain/0.9/11
Greece/1.5/23
Germany/1.57/30
Sweden/2.36/31.5
Australia/2.94/15.5
Italy/2.95/12.1
Austria/4.56/31
Canada/4.78/31.5
France/6.35/32
Switzerland/6.4/46
Finland/6.86/55
United States/15.22/90

Yeah, but how many of these deaths were caused by law abiding gun owners?

Once we change the gun laws, the number will be zero in the United States.:rolleyes:

Somkid

Thailand
Total firearm-related death rate N/A
firearm homicide 33. (in the south by religious insurgents)
firearm suicide N/A
Firearm unintentional N/A
Firearm undetermined N/A
Year 2007
Sources and notes UNODC 2007 (The Seventh Nations Survey on Crime Trends and the Operations of Criminal Justice Systems 2007)

Yep, I feel really safe. I found it funny when the US government issued a warning to citizens living overseas that Thailand may be dangerous I laughed and took a wild guess that the guy that wrote that warning had never been to Philadelphia.

Fluffy

A fool
Reverand Rick said:

Once we change the gun laws, the number will be zero in the United States.
rolleyes.gif

Yeah I'm not so much anti gun as I am anti the way you guys do gun ownership. I'm sure you could change the laws to make it better. Finland has over half the guns but less than half the deaths. America is an anomaly in the statistics.

A

angellous_evangellous

I want a samurai sword, but my wife won't let me get one. :sad4:

I had a 12 guage shotgun growing up. My dad keeps it at his place. I've never owned a handgun. If we ever have an intruder I'll have to grab a kitchen knife.

Not a good idea. It's much, much more difficult to hurt yourself with a blunt object of some kind, like a golf club or a baseball bat than a knife.

yossarian22

Resident Schizophrenic
Not a good idea. It's much, much more difficult to hurt yourself with a blunt object of some kind, like a golf club or a baseball bat than a knife.
I find a knife can be more intimidating and useful than a gun, especially if you know how to use one, a sword would be scary as hell in the right hands.
And kungfuzed scratch the kitchen knife. They aren't designed for stabbing (they are meant for kitchen work) Just make a blackjack out of a sock and any heavy object.
Eh...
How many people are murdered by law abiding citizens? Hmmm...... that's a real tough one

Mercy Not Sacrifice

I'm pro-choice on guns the same way I'm pro-choice on abortion. Personally, I think the desire to own a gun is over-hyped in our society, but I do support the right of a law-abiding adult to own a gun. Now IMO, AK-52s do not belong in the hands of any civilian, but I can deal with people having firearms such as 9mm's.

A

angellous_evangellous

I find a knife can be more intimidating and useful than a gun, especially if you know how to use one, a sword would be scary as hell in the right hands.

Ha! Not me. Around here people who break in at night commonly do so in armed groups (two to four men). I would doubt very seriously that a knife or sword would bother them much.

A

angellous_evangellous

I'm pro-choice on guns the same way I'm pro-choice on abortion. Personally, I think the desire to own a gun is over-hyped in our society, but I do support the right of a law-abiding adult to own a gun. Now IMO, AK-52s do not belong in the hands of any civilian, but I can deal with people having firearms such as 9mm's.

The 9mm is very powerful, and therefore a very dangerous home defense gun, particularly with slugs rather than hollow-points. A regular slug from a 9mm can penetrate walls and kill your neighbors or other folks in your house - hollow points have more stopping power for the scumbag you're trying to kill and won't usually hurt innocent folks if you miss (at least in another room). Shotgun is much better because the shot spreads - again good for the scumbag and safer for everyone else.

Mercy Not Sacrifice

The 9mm is very powerful, and therefore a very dangerous home defense gun, particularly with slugs rather than hollow-points. A regular slug from a 9mm can penetrate walls and kill your neighbors or other folks in your house - hollow points have more stopping power for the scumbag you're trying to kill and won't usually hurt innocent folks if you miss (at least in another room). Shotgun is much better because the shot spreads - again good for the scumbag and safer for everyone else.

Huh. Just shows you how much I know about guns. :D

I wonder, though, what exactly would be an effective handgun that is safe for innocent bystanders (and sleeping family members)? Or is using hollow points enough?