• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Any Pro-Gun Liberals?

MSizer

MSizer
...Gun control is to me like abortion: if you don't believe in it, don't get one, and otherwise mind your own business...

I don't agree with that. I have no desire to own a gun, because they are literally killing machines, and I have no need to kill anything. But the fact that my neighbor might have one is my business, because bullets cross fences. It's similar the whole silly nuclear weapon issue. If we'd all just do away with them completely, nobody would need one. (and before hunters jump in, I don't agree with killing animals either - I consider it immoral).

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
I don't agree with that. I have no desire to own a gun, because they are literally killing machines, and I have no need to kill anything. But the fact that my neighbor might have one is my business, because bullets cross fences. It's similar the whole silly nuclear weapon issue. If we'd all just do away with them completely, nobody would need one. (and before hunters jump in, I don't agree with killing animals either - I consider it immoral).

I kind of agree a little bit..Its what the PURPOSE of a gun is.

I dont compare it to abortion because you dont go out and get pregnant to get an abortion..And the purpose of an abortion is a lot more complicated than "I want a weapon to shoot someone with if I need too" when I decide and that could be you ".

If I have an abortion you arent at risk of death and neither is your familly from a "stray bullett" or identification confusion if you knock on my door.

If I have an abortion it doesnt affect you..If I have a gun it might.

Speaking of "hunting " my FIL "hunts" for deer..

But even the cops who are trained and often find themsleves in "dangerous positions" carrying that gun on their hip they shot (here in plano) two Rottweillers who were protecting their own back yard when the alarm (house alarm went off) and the dogs wouldnt let them pass onto the property.

I hate to say it..But I think some people are "gun happy" and get some sort of thrill (power trip) out of knowing they can blow something away ...and will do so when other options are available..

The "hoping I'll never have to use it" thing is unfortunatley not what happens many times.

Also pulling out a gun in many situations can actually get YOU killed.Even if you are being truly threatened.Some "assailents" arent looking to use their gun to kill you with..Just to get you do do what they say and then realease you..But if you counter them with a gun they just might kill you in "self defense" if that makes any sense.

Love

Dallas

Last edited:

angrymoose

angrymoose
I always have a Glock 9mm under the driver's seat of the van and always will.

Gun control is to me like abortion: if you don't believe in it, don't get one, and otherwise mind your own business.

The gun control panic by hunters, self-defense advocates, etc. stymied much social progress. People were tricked into voting against themselves and as a liberal i have to say it was our own dang fault.

I think there is something seriously wrong with a society where people have a need to have guns for protection.

I understand hunting is a common pastime and that it serves a purpose.

The US has 11,000 shooting deaths every year.

Compare that to 300 a year in Canada which is 10 times less populated.

I don't know the differences in gun laws. For all I know, the issue might be mentality.

I believe gun ownership shoud be a priveledge and not a right. You want to own a gun in my opinion, you better show yourself to be a responsible gun owner.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
The "driving a car" thing is kind of a bad comparison.For most of us having a liscense to drive is more of a neccessity..A neccesity in a sense our lives and productivetly are greatly enhanced by being able to drive.
I agree. I deliver papers now and my route is 81 miles so it is an absolute must for me to have a car. I'm even very likely going to save up to get cheap used hybrid because having my gas mileage go from 25 MPG to 50 will save me over 200 dollars a month. So having something better is also a very good thing.
However one of the family heirloom shotguns I just inherited is rather unnecessary. My grandfather when he was young, and my dad have used this gun to hunt to feed their family which was their primary source of food so having this particular gun has indeed served a necessary purpose, for me it is nothing more than a family heirloom that I think is somewhat classic/historic. (It's a 16-guage Remmington muzzle loader.) Actually I don't even know how to shoot it without the recoil hurting me. As for self defense my dad mentioned it, but I've always felt safe without a gun, so I don't see any reason to start relying on it.

dallas1125

Covert Operative
I think there is something seriously wrong with a society where people have a need to have guns for protection.
And what perfect society do you suggest we find? Go to Compton and then tell me you dont want a gun to protect yourself.

Yes, what do you suggest?

You somewhat proved your statistic wrong. Canada has less population so logically they should have less shooting deaths.

I don't know the differences in gun laws. For all I know, the issue might be mentality.

I believe gun ownership shoud be a priveledge and not a right. You want to own a gun in my opinion, you better show yourself to be a responsible gun owner.
Right now it is somewhat a privilege. Its a lot harder for criminals to get guns legally. The problem with it being a privilege is the government has control over the populations guns. Personally, I dont want that.

angrymoose

angrymoose
You somewhat proved your statistic wrong. Canada has less population so logically they should have less shooting deaths.

Canada has 10 times less population than the US does.

You have over 30 times more shooting deaths.

Now, maybe Canadians are nicer. Maybe we have better social programs than you do or better living conditions or a different distribution of people.

Gun laws are only one dimension but its really easy to get a gun in the US.

And what perfect society do you suggest we find? Go to Compton and then tell me you dont want a gun to protect yourself.

Where is Compton? Why is it so dangerous? Is it in Afganistan?

Right now it is somewhat a privilege. Its a lot harder for criminals to get guns legally. The problem with it being a privilege is the government has control over the populations guns. Personally, I dont want that.

Sounds like a step in the right direction. I prefer the government which is by the way manned by an army of regular people, to have that control.

And lets be honest, the guns the "people have" wouldn't protect them against what your government has

What protects us is that the vast majority of people in uniform believe in our democratic system.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member

Well, I see owning a gun for self-defense much like owning a fire extinguisher; you don't necessarily need one, or actually expect or ever use one, but it's nice to have just in case of an emergency, regardless of how remote. And yes, I agree that owning a gun should require proper training, licensing, registration, responsibility and respect for the weapon.

Also, violence and crime are due to sociological and psychological problems. It's a cultural issue and is not caused by the mere presence of a particular kind of inanimate object. Most gun related crimes take place in impoverished intercity ghettos between gangs and drug dealers. There are many small rural communities where every household has a gun, yet violent crime happening in such places is almost unheard of.

Last edited:

angrymoose

angrymoose
What ****** me off, is some gun owners are not responsible with them; e.g., keeping them locked away from the kids or whatever

Sometimmes ppl get scared and kill somebody by mistake. Or get angry and kill somebody

It would also scare me if criminals, upn expecting people to be armed were more likey to use force

That said, sure, there may be cases where I'd hear a dangerous criminal getting what they deserved because of somebody having a gun.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
It would also scare me if criminals, upn expecting people to be armed were more likey to use force

This is an argument against people attempting to defend themselves or their family? Isn't a fighting chance better than no chance at all? Logically, I think people would be less likely to make an attempt upon a potential victim if the risks were significantly higher.

Last edited:

AntEmpire

Yes as a liberal and a member of the US Navy i support the right of responsible US citizens who are adults to own guns for there protection/to kill animals for eating. If you like hunting for sport thats fine by me too but animals are for eating.

PS i just shot an M-16 wensday it was super fun.

dallas1125

Covert Operative
Canada has 10 times less population than the US does.

You have over 30 times more shooting deaths.

Now, maybe Canadians are nicer. Maybe we have better social programs than you do or better living conditions or a different distribution of people.

Gun laws are only one dimension but its really easy to get a gun in the US.
As said before its a social thing. Not the presence of the weapon. Their is still an imbalance but thats why I said somewhat.

Where is Compton? Why is it so dangerous? Is it in Afganistan?
Compton? Definitely not in Afghan, its south of L.A. and is the 8th most dangerous city in the U.S.

Compton: History and Facts

And lets be honest, the guns the "people have" wouldn't protect them against what your government has
People underestimate the power of a insurgent armed with a rifle. Although they cant overthrow the government, they can sure fight against it.

What protects us is that the vast majority of people in uniform believe in our democratic system.
Only as long as those people believe in it.