• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Any Downside to Atheism?

mr.guy

crapsack
our females have something beautiful, next to something disgusting. our waste that comes from our rears is entropy. however, our future comes from the front, that is negative entropy (aka, life).
So...women eat through their vagina?

if life was meaningless, then they should both represent entropy, and a vagina would be the same as an assh*le
How is entropy meaningful?

hmm... would you say that life is meaningless and that we are the same thing that comes out of our rears?
How is dung less meaningful than any other living function?

Luminous

non-existential luminary
you know, back in those days, the phrase "do you believe in G-d" just did not compute. its like as if today someone asked you point blank, "do you believe that you exist?" ummm, its not really a matter of believing because you don't have to make any leaps of faith to figure out if you really exist, you just know it. if someone tried to argue that you don't exist, you could show them by making your fist exist in their face. that simple.

it really shows the difference in concepts between G-d today and G-d of yesterday. the tetragrammaton reflects the concept of yesterday as it simultaneously means "was, is, and will be". if that is all its really about, whats the argument?

this was a fundamental part of Abrahams language and he understood it. its hard to understand because most of us are not like the hardcore polytheists of olden days, but the concept that everything is one, that G-d is one, is simply revolutionary. that was Abrahams ginormous step forward.
what days were those? the ones were the gods lived in olympus. or the ones in which brahaman the all powerful manifested himself in lesser forms. or the one further still were this wiki article talks about:
The Rigveda is an ancient Indian text, considered sacred in Hinduism, that dates from between 1700 and 1100 BCE [16] Agnostic ideas are explored in the Nasadiya Sukta, a creation hymn that describes the emergence of the universe. The last lines of the text read:
Who really knows? Who will here proclaim it? Whence was it produced? Whence is this creation? The gods came afterwards, with the creation of the universe. Who then knows whence it has arisen? Whence this creation has arisen—perhaps it formed itself, or perhaps it did not—the one who looks down on it, in the highest heaven, only He knows—or perhaps He does not know.
monotheism was always part of Hinduism, i believe it was part of all religions that devolve into polythiesm, Uranus was the ONlY first God of the Greeks wasn't he? Zoroaster explored the concept of two Gods, Good and Evil. and one egyptian explored the concept of ONLY ONE EVIL God. THe God of Chaos, the God of everything, the Chaos of the Big Bang, the Chaos of Order. Abrahamism was a cheap knock off of these other religions ibelieve.

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
if you take atheism to be "the belief that g-d does not exist", then yes I am out to mock it and belittle it.
Good luck with that.

however, if you take atheism to be a skeptical world view where belief in G-d is the result of empirical scientific proof, then I would say to you 2 things:

1. there is merit in this endeavor. and

2. you are not an atheist... in my book you are jewish, or pretty damn close.

i'd just like to mention that the word "Israel" means "to struggle with G-d".
It depends on whether you think there is such proof or not. If so, then you're right. If not, you're wrong.

Luminous

non-existential luminary
if you take atheism to be "the belief that g-d does not exist", then yes I am out to mock it and belittle it.

however, if you take atheism to be a skeptical world view where belief in G-d is the result of empirical scientific proof, then I would say to you 2 things:

1. there is merit in this endeavor. and

i'd just like to mention that the word "Israel" means "to struggle with G-d".
of course you could also argue that ur dictionary result is an oxymoron and that infact athesim is the NON-believe in the assumed reality of any solely theistic concept. in which case like many smart atheists argue, atheism=agnosticism.

now ur point number 2 is an oxymoron again, as atheist is opposite of theist.

Does Israel mean to struggle against God? or does it mean to struggle while God struggles too? or does it mean something else?

what days were those? the ones were the gods lived in olympus. or the ones in which brahaman the all powerful manifested himself in lesser forms. or the one further still were this wiki article talks about:

monotheism was always part of Hinduism, i believe it was part of all religions that devolve into polythiesm, Uranus was the ONlY first God of the Greeks wasn't he? Zoroaster explored the concept of two Gods, Good and Evil. and one egyptian explored the concept of ONLY ONE EVIL God. THe God of Chaos, the God of everything, the Chaos of the Big Bang, the Chaos of Order. Abrahamism was a cheap knock off of these other religions ibelieve.

do me a favor... find in the hebrew bible where it uses the words "believe" and "G-d" in the same sentence. let me know when you are done.

Luminous

non-existential luminary
The majority of modern scholars believe that the Torah is the product of many hands, stretching over many centuries, reaching its final form only around the 6th and 5th centuries BCE.
~ wiki

the most conservative (jk i mean liberal) date is 1313 BCE. so from 1300-500 BCE. unlike the Rigveda (from 1700-1100 BCE). so i'd say Rigveda is more than 500 yrs older than Torah.

now, i dont have access to a hebrew bible put i'd say the comandments a very clear about believe in God. and i am very sure that there were some people that could understand truth back then so im sure there were some who were agnostic and atheist, instead of polytheist, or theist of any kind. the whole point of being agnostic is not that we now have enough knowledge that believing in a God of Gaps is futile, but that even if there are gaps in understanding they shouldnt be filled with baseless fairytales.

Last edited:
of course you could also argue that ur dictionary result is an oxymoron and that infact athesim is the NON-believe in the assumed reality of any solely theistic concept. in which case like many smart atheists argue, atheism=agnosticism.

now ur point number 2 is an oxymoron again, as atheist is opposite of theist.

Does Israel mean to struggle against God? or does it mean to struggle while God struggles too? or does it mean something else?

look. get together with all your atheist friends, say, in las vegas. get a hotel, make a conference and settle it once and for all: what defines an atheist? because obviously the smart atheists think its something and all the dumb atheists think its something else.

secondly, who said being jewish is being theist? albert einstein was a jew who was a self described atheist.

lastly, i'm not google. if you want to know what "Israel" means then google it.

~ wiki

the most conservative (jk i mean liberal) date is 1313 BCE. so from 1300-500 BCE. unlike the Rigveda (from 1700-1100 BCE). so i'd say Rigveda is older than Torah.

what is all this hand waving??? i'm talking about abrahams concept of G-d, and you are off in india talking about some book that has nothing to do with anything.

Luminous

non-existential luminary
look. get together with all your atheist friends, say, in las vegas. get a hotel, make a conference and settle it once and for all: what defines an atheist? because obviously the smart atheists think its something and all the dumb atheists think its something else.

secondly, who said being jewish is being theist? albert einstein was a jew who was a self described atheist.

i dont understand why you wrote what you wrote. I thought you were argueing that in the past no-one questioned the existance of 'G-d'. i must have misunderstood one of your posts. [post 489, i didnt bother to read before and find out its context since the context and assertion made seamed clear to me] i though you believed you knew what you were talking about. sorry.

Last edited:

Vile Atheist

Loud and Obnoxious
Atheism is simply the rejection of theism. An atheist is a person whose philosophy at least encompasses a rejection of theism. Atheists may have contradicting views in different areas. But they are all united in the rejection of theism.

That's it. There are no "smart" or "dumb" atheists dictating anything.

Amill

Apikoros

It just means without a belief in god, who has said otherwise?

Both of these people can be categorized as atheists:
I don't believe a god exists
I know a god doesn't exist

Those are 2 different claims being made but they are both still just atheists because neither believe a god exists. If you ever see people claiming that they're agnostic atheist, or hard atheist, ect, it's because atheism, like theism, isn't a very specific idea, and people attach adjectives to help define their worldview better.

You are the one that confused everyone with the jewish thing,
So since the person you quoted didn't claim that there was no god, that makes them jewish? What the hell does that mean? What would be your definition of jewish? We were discussing religion, so when you claim that someone would be jewish, we're probably going to assume that you're still talking about the religious view as well. So yea, it's a little confusing because it sounded like you were saying that since we don't claim there is no god, we're jewish. It doesn't make sense. I'm guessing you meant to say agnostic?..and said jewish by mistake? Even then, agnostic answers a different question.

Last edited:
It just means without a belief in god, who has said otherwise?

Both of these people can be categorized as atheists:
I don't believe a god exists
I know a god doesn't exist

Those are 2 different claims being made but they are both still just atheists because neither believe a god exists. If you ever see people claiming that they're agnostic atheist, or hard atheist, ect, it's because atheism, like theism, isn't a very specific idea, and people attach adjectives to help define their worldview better.

You are the one that confused everyone with the jewish thing,
So since the person you quoted didn't claim that there was no god, that makes them jewish? What the hell does that mean? What would be your definition of jewish? We were discussing religion, so when you claim that someone would be jewish, we're probably going to assume that you're still talking about the religious view as well. So yea, it's a little confusing because it sounded like you were saying that since we don't claim there is no god, we're jewish. It doesn't make sense. I'm guessing you meant to say agnostic?..and said jewish by mistake? Even then, agnostic answers a different question.

i can see how it was confusing. i guess i'm so jealous that christians and atheists get to argue with one another about the existence of G-d that as a jew i feel left out.

truth is, I think judaism intersects alot with atheism to a certain extent, especially when it comes to struggling with the existence of G-d. I can see how einstein professed himself to be an atheist because modern western religion lacked the language to describe his world view appropriately, and I can relate to that. when asked if he believes in G-d, he replied: "I believe in Spinoza's G-d, Who reveals Himself in the lawful harmony of the world, not in a G-d Who concerns Himself with the fate and the doings of mankind."

I see how atheism may have been a reaction to christianity, but not so much to judaism. maybe i'm wrong, but thats what i've noticed.

darkendless

Guardian of Asgaard
i can see how it was confusing. i guess i'm so jealous that christians and atheists get to argue with one another about the existence of G-d that as a jew i feel left out.

Why not be like Christians and aggrovate the world with preaching and converting? That way you'll get the worlds attention. Then again, such attention may not be "good attention."

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank

truth is, I think judaism intersects alot with atheism to a certain extent, especially when it comes to struggling with the existence of G-d. I can see how einstein professed himself to be an atheist because modern western religion lacked the language to describe his world view appropriately, and I can relate to that. when asked if he believes in G-d, he replied: "I believe in Spinoza's G-d, Who reveals Himself in the lawful harmony of the world, not in a G-d Who concerns Himself with the fate and the doings of mankind."

I see how atheism may have been a reaction to christianity, but not so much to judaism. maybe i'm wrong, but thats what i've noticed.

It's not complicated. An atheist is a person who lacks a belief that God exists. The only possible confusion I can see is how you define "God," but we just mean the regular old God that people worship, pray to, and try to obey. That God.

Vile Atheist

Loud and Obnoxious

That could very well be true. Atheism may be (at least in part) a reaction to fundamentalist Christianity and Islam. But atheism is driven more by the need for evidence and intellectual and religious freedom. Atheists are also generally associated with left-wing politics and view social justice as the aim of a working society. Religious fundamentalist Christians in North America, at least, are associated with right-wing politics. I think the Atheism vs Fundamentalist Christianity vs Fundamentalist Islam dialogue could be exacerbated by political ideologies affecting the way we perceive the world and therefore our solutions to its problems.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
alright. i reeeeeeeally hate being taken out of context. what I said has _nothing_ to do with male homosexuality. _nothing_.

Um...I'm not sure whether you understand what "being taken out of context" means. I didn't take you out of context at all. You might not have meant what I said I thought you meant, but it wasn't taken out of context. If you didn't mean what I thought you did, then you really need to choose your words more carefully.

i was really trying to express what i understand as the dichotomy between the sacred and the profane. our females have something beautiful, next to something disgusting. our waste that comes from our rears is entropy. however, our future comes from the front, that is negative entropy (aka, life). if life was meaningless, then they should both represent entropy, and a vagina would be the same as an *edit*.

Congratulations. This might be the weirdest thing I've read all month, and that's saying something.

hmm... would you say that life is meaningless and that we are the same thing that comes out of our rears?

I would say life has the meaning you want it to. I wouldn't say we're the same thing that comes out of our rears, and I'm not even going to bother trying to figure out your convoluted line of thinking that would lead you to that conclusion.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
there is an old hasidic saying about the miracles performed by the baal shem tov. if you believe all the stories about his miracles are true, then you are a fool. however, if you pick a story and try to prove its falsehood, you are a heretic.

that is to say, the stories are not meant to be taken literally. there are lessons to be learned from them. if you try to discredit even a single story and try to keep people from studying it, you are a heretic for trying to erase the lessons.

if you get to the point where you realize that the stories just don't make sense, and realize that it shouldn't be taken literally, that doesn't make you an atheist. it makes you a jew!

sucks for you, man.

So, I take it all of your ideas are this convoluted and nonsensical? Sucks for you, man.