• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Any cricket fans out there?

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Been enjoying a book called "First tests" by Steve Cannane

Got me searching -

Cricket quotes Victor Trumper - a few!

Cricketing greats Victor Trumper

Cricket memorable innings - yes! many! Yet 2 fully explore ...

Victor Trumper - Wikipedia

Six Giants of the Wisden Century - Wikipedia

Wisden 100 - Wikipedia

Viv Richards - Wikipedia

Amazon masterly batting great test innings

Too expensive? - try these authors -

Masterly Batting Quotes by Patrick Ferriday

Speaking of great writers! -

Neville Cardus - Wikipedia

Enjoy!

ajay0

I like Steve Waugh a lot, for his grit and workmanlike focus as a batsman.

I think he is the greatest batsman ever in terms of chasing the opposition score, both test match and one-day, and had iron nerves in this regard.

He was one batsman I enjoyed watching on tv while batting, and usually ignored the rest.

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Here's another interesting stat -

Ponting most test wins

For most players, playing 100 Test matches is a huge achievement - only 50 have achieved it in the history of Test cricket. However, with this victory against Sri Lanka in Galle, Ricky Ponting became the first player to be a part of 100 Test victories. It's a huge achievement, and a telling commentary on the quality of the player and the team he has been a part of.

Only three other players have won more than 75 Tests, an indication of just how difficult it is to reach the landmark. The top seven players with most wins are all Australians who were an intrinsic part of the dominant team of the 1990s and 2000s - the first non-Australian in the list is Mark Boucher, with 70 victories. He is also the first active player in the list after Ponting, with team-mate Jacques Kallis following closely on 69. With 30 wins needed to get to a century, though, it's almost certain that neither will get to that mark, which means Ponting will be the lone member of this club for a while.

Adam Gilchrist has the best percentage of the group - 73 wins in 96 Tests!

Adam Gilchrist - Wikipedia

Adam is also the first player to hit 100 sixes in Tests - batting usually at number 7 which is phenomenal ...

Cheers!

Last edited:

The Holy Bottom Burp

Hey Geoff, I remember those classy cricketers you mention, they seemed a class above at the time (I'm speaking as a Pom). How'd you see the upcoming Ashes going?

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Hey Geoff, I remember those classy cricketers you mention, they seemed a class above at the time (I'm speaking as a Pom). How'd you see the upcoming Ashes going?

Yes it was a golden age!

The Ashes will be close - we usually play well at home.

Speaking of records - India are going well - lots of home tests helps - here is the record - Kohli has a great average as captian so far -

List of India national cricket captains - Wikipedia

Cheers!

The Holy Bottom Burp

Yes it was a golden age!

The Ashes will be close - we usually play well at home.

Speaking of records - India are going well - lots of home tests helps - here is the record - Kohli has a great average as captian so far -

List of India national cricket captains - Wikipedia

Cheers!
Yes, India annoyingly good at the moment, though I thoroughly enjoyed the English women beating them in the WC final! If England (men) bring their best game I think they'll beat Aussie in the Ashes, I've been really encouraged by the display in the third test against South Africa.

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Yes, India annoyingly good at the moment, though I thoroughly enjoyed the English women beating them in the WC final! If England (men) bring their best game I think they'll beat Aussie in the Ashes, I've been really encouraged by the display in the third test against South Africa.

Haven't checked the scores - South Africa beat us out here so the Poms must be a shot to do likewise ...

Cheers

The Holy Bottom Burp

Here's the England scores -

HowSTAT! Test Series - Matches & Results

Up and down series so far - no real close ones ...
Ah yes, it is perhaps for another debate on another forum, but the argument some have put forward is that English Test cricketers have lost the knack of Test cricket, having played too much one day, twenty twenty, IPL etc. What encouraged me about the third test was that England played proper Test. Cook and Stokes dug in on the second day when conditions favoured the bowlers rather than throwing the bat at it. We're coming for you Geoff! ;)