• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Any cops on RF?

stacey bo bacey

oh no you di'int
If so, please identify yourselves. I have some questions.

I've been reading up on my rights (yes, indeedy, I have) and WHAT the hell?

I have been specifically reading up on what to do when a cop pulls you over or addresses you in public or comes to your house and requests to search your car/you/your house.

All that stuff is great and all because now I can throw their BS back in their face but ummmmmmmm....if I lie to a cop it's considered obstruction of justice yet they are allowed to lie to us to try and get information out of us that we don't want (or necessarily need) to give. They can tell you something was caught on tape, it's "routine", it's going to be better if you help them out (better for them), they won't press charges if you talk to them (yea...LAWYERS press the charges not cops), they have witnesses or fingerprints, etc.

WHY is me lying (for WHATEVER reason I choose to lie) obstruction of justice yet cops are allowed to *edit*rainbows and tell me it's really poop?

I'm sure not all cops are *edit*(:rolleyes:), but WHY do SO many have this holier than thou attitude? I know they demand respect but 1--so do I and 2--they don't deserve any more respect than a hobo on the street. Everyone is equal no matter their chosen career path.

People, within their rights, can resist so much against an officer's demands, yet respectfully. Why? If they're being respectful, no problem from me, I will definitely respect you. But if you're being a complete *******...I should have the right to tell you to go away in a completely disrespectful way.

So, coppers.....can you tell me what gives?

***EDIT: So I just learned that cops can legally lie to you in order to obtain a confession as long as they don't make promises they can't keep.

I still wanted to post this though because police brutality is real and it's rampant in some cities.

Copwatch is a organization that was started by Andrea Prichett in California and it's simply people going around with video cameras wherever there is suspect (or even just normal) police activity going on to remind them that we ARE watching. Civilians have the right to observe as long as we are on public property and not interfering with police conduct.

And since I have such an afflicted view and relationship with cops I am going to start doing this because cops in my area think they are THE *edit*It's also just about asserting your rights. We still have them, people, and we need to get better at using and asserting them so we don't FORGET them.

Just a sample of Copwatch (there's a whole documentary on it on YouTube, I would very much recommend watching it): YouTube - Berkeley Copwatch at the DNC

YouTube - Santa Rosa Copwatch June 8 2007 Tell me, if you're doing your job for what it is, which is protecting the people and upholding our Constitutional rights, why are you so secretive? Also, love the female cop who tries to be intimidating by walking up and getting pictures on her cell phone then proceeding to call someone. :rolleyes:

And also a video of how the Denver Police has now been keeping secret files on law-abiding citizens with the right to observe as CRIMINAL EXTREMISTS: YouTube - Police Surveillance of Demonstrators

Last edited by a moderator:

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
I believe kadzbiz is a cop, but he's not around all that much (and I could be wrong).

police is able to lie because most criminals won't outright admit there deeds so the cops entrap them in there words

but he we can call them butplugs aslong as we frase it like an opinion

stacey bo bacey

oh no you di'int
police is able to lie because most criminals won't outright admit there deeds so the cops entrap them in there words

but he we can call them butplugs aslong as we frase it like an opinion

We have a constitutional right to not incriminate ourselves. Their way of getting around our RIGHT is by lying. GREAT country we've developed here......:rolleyes:

Which is why my favorite right now is the right to remain silent. :)

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I believe kadzbiz is a cop, but he's not around all that much (and I could be wrong).

Kadz is a cop, but he's an Australian cop, so probably not the most helpful informant for an American.

As for your original question question, the general rule is that law enforcement needs a warrant to conduct a search, but if a cop really wants to search you, your car, or your house, s/he's likely invent an excuse. Who'se to say he didn't really smell marijuana smoke? that he doesn't really suspect you may have a weapon? or that you didn't make a threatening gesture?
Resistance Is likely to get you arrested -- for disorderly conduct, or even resisting arrest (an interesting catch-22). Then they can search at their leisure.

SpiritualBeing

Can I just say something. I may only be 15, but I've studied international law to an extent.

In America, if an ordianry police officer tries to arrest you stating that they suspect you of an offence, then you have the right to request a lawyer, and you may refuse until you can see a superior officer. But if a member of the FBI, NCIS, CIA or the ITA are going to arrest you on suspeted criminal activity then you cannot refuse. You must go with them.

Also, it is within the law in America for traffic cops to search your car without a warrant, but a normal police officer is not allowed.

Just thought I'd point this stuff out. Need any more info, then PM me.

Matt

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
EDIT: So I just learned that cops can legally lie to you in order to obtain a confession as long as they don't make promises they can't keep.

Oh really....how about this for a lie..after many hours of interogation and sleep deprivation they will tell a suspect that if they just "admit" to any involvement in said crime they will let them go home..or "do everything we can to help you" and on and on ...

This is startling..and I appreciate the cops..I know they just want the scum off the streets..

But I saw a special on this..A case where a young woman was murdered in her apartment..She had a LOT of "friends" lived the party life..and so on...

Well 4 young men were possibble suspects..All four had some sort of "motive"..

But it was not in dispute ..there was one killer...

They all denied the murder...all passed lie detector test but one who refused to take it..The 3 that took the test were told they had "failed it"

All 4 confessed after the "interogations" that they were the lone killer..

They all got the details wrong on how the girl was murderd..And the physical evidence was inconclusive at best that any one of them had committed the crime..

They all went to prison for her murder..based on thier "confessions"

Love

Dallas

hahahahaa you know how much money you can sue the state for then, ps if only one person killed her then only one can be convicted for her murder the rest can only be convicted for conspiracy to murder and interfearing with an official police investegation

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
Also...dont kid your self...if you are the "complaintant" in a crime agaisnt you..and for your own personal reasons you decide not to prosecute or go forward with the "conviction" and "punishment" phase of the crime as the sole witness? ....You can very well be dragged under a subpoena into a grand jury...Under threat of contempt if you dont appear and purgury if you refuse to answer the questions and criminal charges against YOU for "false reporting" of a cirme..

And THATS how the victim gets treated...

Love

Dallas

Last edited:

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Can I just say something. I may only be 15, but I've studied international law to an extent.

In America, if an ordianry police officer tries to arrest you stating that they suspect you of an offence, then you have the right to request a lawyer, and you may refuse until you can see a superior officer. But if a member of the FBI, NCIS, CIA or the ITA are going to arrest you on suspeted criminal activity then you cannot refuse. You must go with them.

Also, it is within the law in America for traffic cops to search your car without a warrant, but a normal police officer is not allowed.

Matt

Thanks, Matt, but I think you're in error in several points:
First, a traffic cop is an 'ordinary cop' -- he's just been assigned traffic duty. Second, you're vehicle may not be searched without a warrent, the actual arrest of the driver, or, at least, reasonable cause. This point is constantly being contested in various court cases, though, so who knows how things will eventually sort themselves out.

You may not refuse an arrest without courting an additional, resisting arrest charge. You do have a right to legal representation, including a lawyer during any questioning, but the propriety of your arrest will be decided at your arraignment, not at the time of arrest.
The arresting agency makes no difference, though I would point out that the CIA is not an internal law enforcement agency, it conducts surveillance and analysis within US borders, but its actual field operations are strictly extra-national (ie: its agents are spooks, not policemen).

Question: What's the ITA? I haven't heard of such an agency.

Last edited by a moderator:

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
hahahahaa you know how much money you can sue the state for then, ps if only one person killed her then only one can be convicted for her murder the rest can only be convicted for conspiracy to murder and interfearing with an official police investegation

But ALL of them confessed..(they wanted to go home..)

Love

Dallas

TurkeyOnRye

This makes me like you even more Stacey!

Thanks for spreading awareness about this subject; it's something that sorely needs to be address.

stacey bo bacey

oh no you di'int
Kadz is a cop, but he's an Australian cop, so probably not the most helpful informant for an American.

As for your original question question, the general rule is that law enforcement needs a warrant to conduct a search, but if a cop really wants to search you, your car, or your house, s/he's likely invent an excuse.

Yes, they can make up a reason and I'm sure plenty of them do but a lot of those reasons do not constitute probable cause. And you have a great leg to stand on, as does your lawyer, if you refuse any searches because you know their justification for probable cause is bullcrap. Even the smell of marijuana in MOST states isn't probable cause. (It has been ruled in a lot of states, though, that it is). Obviously any illegal thing in "plain view" will then be probable cause to search your car, but if they say anything like you look like someone suspicious or someone who was seen in another area doing suspicious activity, or even that they are required, have footage of you or that someone has confessed something about you, you are STILL ALLOWED TO SAY "I DO NOT CONSENT TO ANY SEARCHES." You can then ask if you are being detained and if you are free to go. (Which you will be because if they had to ask you to search, they have no right to. Watch out for how they trickily word their requests though. Sounds and feels like a demand, but it's not). Even when they bring the dogs in, your rights don't just vanish. Not consenting to ANY searches means just that. You would also be able to request legal counsel before anything happens.

Resistance Is likely to get you arrested -- for disorderly conduct, or even resisting arrest (an interesting catch-22). Then they can search at their leisure.

I'm not at all talking about resisting arrest or disorderly conduct, though. If you ASSERT YOUR RIGHTS that is neither suspicious nor disorderly. They WILL get PO'd big time because their job is to help convict you, but they know full well what rights you have. They are hoping for their reputation and paycheck's sake that you will either not know them or be pressured enough to forgo them. Which, sadly, so many people do (including yours truly :( )It's only because the pressure and intimidation can be tough.

People should watch: YouTube - BUSTED: The Citizen's Guide to Surviving Police Encounters
45 min. long but could be invaluable to you in the near or far future.

Last edited:

stacey bo bacey

oh no you di'int

Hello Christian!

That's very interesting about the FBI, CIA, etc...I did not know that!

Matt

Are you talking about traffic cops at international borders? If yes then you are absolutely right. But if you get pulled over on the road, they have absolutely no right whatsoever to search your car unless they are placing you under arrest or there is a warrant out for your arrest...which those two kinda go hand in hand.

Thanks for the info!