• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Anti-Bullying Speaker Curses Christian Teens

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Did the Fox story mention that Savage has issued an apology for having referred to the kids who walked-out as "pansy-*****?

gnomon

That's the part they're labeling "bullying". The bit where he referred to parts of the Bible as ******** and where he called the walk-out pansy-*****.

He actually did apologize for the latter.

If that's the extent of it then I would say he was at the most tactless in his chosen use of words. I seriously doubt that the students who walked out, and were they all from one school, were the only Christians in attendance. Or that they were even the majority of Christians in attendance.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Then you haven't been paying attention. I recall several posts criticizing MSNBC from people who would question Fox if they said the sun would rise.
Oh, but I do pay attention.
I speak generally, & not about you in particular.

....there's a sharp and crucial difference between political leanings and deliberate dishonesty for the sake of ideological propaganda.
Who is to say when propaganda moves from unconscious bias to dishonesty?
That strikes me as a largely unverifiable & too conveniently employed criticism.

The epithet you so scorn has been well earned. I've seen middle school news broadcasts with more journalistic integrity.
This is still to single out the opposition, while giving a pass to one's allies.

I'm not seeing how this is bullying. Rude perhaps, definitely uncouth and foulmouthed, but I don't see it as bullying. I don't see anything wrong with what Dan Savage said, I thought it was great. Christianity is the basis for a lot of gay bullying in high school, so it's worth calling out the bigots on their "*********". In fact the kids who walked out acted more like bullies than did Savage. The proper thing to do would be to try and engage him in dialogue and to try and internalize what was being said and why he said it.

Our lives shouldn't be defined by ancient books or mullahs or priests, after all. If someone - let's call him person A - believed, for instance that it was wrong to like the New York Giants and wrote a book about it, person B should be allowed to call that book out as "*********".

Oh and one last thing, those who are whining and complaining about how horribly mean Savage was to the poor xtians needs quit playing the victim. Savage did not say you should die because of who you are, like some xtians say about gay people. He was saying that you don't have to believe the ignorant parts of the bible. Also if you think that Savage was wrong to express his ideas, what you are doing is explicitly arguing that someone should not be allowed to express a moral viewpoint that others find offensive, which although on a lesser scale is no different than people rioting in the streets because some Danish artists drew a picture of Mohammed.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Did the Fox story mention that Savage has issued an apology for having referred to the kids who walked-out as "pansy-*****?
The OP's linked Fox article was dated April 27, & the linked apology was dated April 29.
It seems reasonable that Fox didn't mention it.
But this raises a question....how many left leaning sources covered Savages meta-bullying at all?

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Oh, but I do pay attention.
I speak generally, & not about you in particular.

Who is to say when propaganda moves from unconscious bias to dishonesty?
That strikes me as a largely unverifiable & too conveniently employed criticism.

This is still to single out the opposition, while giving a pass to one's allies.
Whatever, dude. What say we stop indulging the derail?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
"Students walk out on Dan Savage speech. Savage calls them pansies." Jeebers. That's so newsworthy it should be on every TV station in the US 24/7 for the rest of the year.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Oh and one last thing, those who are whining and complaining about how horribly mean Savage was to the poor xtians needs quit playing the victim. Savage did not say you should die because of who you are, like some xtians say about gay people. He was saying that you don't have to believe the ignorant parts of the bible. Also if you think that Savage was wrong to express his ideas, what you are doing is explicitly arguing that someone should not be allowed to express a moral viewpoint that others find offensive, which although on a lesser scale is no different than people rioting in the streets because some Danish artists drew a picture of Mohammed.
Holy strawman!

Nobody's said anything of the sort. What we have said is that Savage is not an appropriate speaker for a high school, for obvious reasons.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
First, so nobody gets me wrong here....what Dan Savage said at the school was a terrible move for furthering the cause of anti-bullying.

I do ask the question here though for those who believe the Bible is correct on the abomination that is homosexuality - how should the excuse for bullying, beating, raping, and killing queers be handled?

There are boys and girls who are dying and committing suicide from being bullied because they are being told at large they are not acceptable as human beings, and that boys and girls are growing up learning that from religious doctrine, and that belief is supported by their parents, teachers, and peers.

I'm supportive of the It Gets Better project, and I think it's inception and it's propagation is healing a lot of wounds and offering hope for those who are still on the receiving end of this day to day bullying. That has been attributed to Dan Savage and I applaud his effort.

So, that being said, and if there's agreement that he shouldn't have gone where he did with his rant on the Bible, then how should the bullying be approached and stopped? Projects like It Gets Better is the band-aid for the pain experienced by gay and lesbian teens, but do we need projects like these in the first place?

Again, there are kids dying. How will this stop? Anyone got a better answer?

The_Evelyonian

Old-School Member
The OP's linked Fox article was dated April 27, & the linked apology was dated April 29.
It seems reasonable that Fox didn't mention it.

Good catch. Has Fox mentioned Savage's apology at all since then?

But this raises a question....how many left leaning sources covered Savages meta-bullying at all?

Dan Savage Speech Controversy: 'It Gets Better' Creator Offends Christian Students
U.S. News - Dan Savage apologizes for criticizing students who walked out of lecture

Holy strawman!

Nobody's said anything of the sort. What we have said is that Savage is not an appropriate speaker for a high school, for obvious reasons.

I wasn't blaming anybody on the forum, my post was meant more to comment on the people in the public at large who think that this is some huge travesty.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
First, so nobody gets me wrong here....what Dan Savage said at the school was a terrible move for furthering the cause of anti-bullying.

I do ask the question here though for those who believe the Bible is correct on the abomination that is homosexuality - how should the excuse for bullying, beating, raping, and killing queers be handled?

There are boys and girls who are dying and committing suicide from being bullied because they are being told at large they are not acceptable as human beings, and that boys and girls are growing up learning that from religious doctrine, and that belief is supported by their parents, teachers, and peers.

I'm supportive of the It Gets Better project, and I think it's inception and it's propagation is healing a lot of wounds and offering hope for those who are still on the receiving end of this day to day bullying. That has been attributed to Dan Savage and I applaud his effort.

So, that being said, and if there's agreement that he shouldn't have gone where he did with his rant on the Bible, then how should the bullying be approached and stopped? Projects like It Gets Better is the band-aid for the pain experienced by gay and lesbian teens, but do we need projects like these in the first place?

I don't have an answer for you, but I'm pretty sure it's not inviting shock jocks like Savage to high schools. See above post about the teen and the threesome.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
To preach against abominations is inevitable for many religions. But a line must be drawn
between expressing the beliefs, & causing harm of people. This will never be cleanly done.

More civil discourse. That's all I gots.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Really? Why?

The first time I read his column, he called a 19-year-old a lying ***** for wanting to back out of a threesome.

Is your opinion of Savage based on having ready many more than a single column?