• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Anti-anti Christmas Thread

ΩRôghênΩ

Disciple of Light
This thread is made specificcaly to preserve our right to say "christmas" in the USA. It's completely not fair that anyone is supporting this, but not supporting any other religions word, such as "hannaka" etc. This is wrong and offensive, and if your a christian like me, even the work of the devil.:devil:

Comments?

ΩRôghênΩ

Disciple of Light
This thread is made specificcaly to preserve our right to say "christmas" in the USA. It's completely not fair that anyone is supporting this, but not supporting any other religions word, such as "hannaka" etc. This is wrong and offensive, and if your a christian like me, even the work of the devil.:devil:

Comments?

DSCN1265-thumb.JPG

i dont agree with the president thing completely, just focuss on the big sign.

Pah

Uber all member
Christmas is fine. Just hope that commercial interests don't steal Advent Sunday in the US (Germany has a commercial aspect to the church season).

Ody

I haven't seen people fined yet, nor is there anything on the books. If you are afraid of the "war" on christmas, it hasn't hit an official level yet.

Mike182

Flaming Queer
sorry, but some of us are lacking in the knowledge of every-day USA (hey that rhymes!)

whats going on?

s2a

Heretic and part-time (skinny) Santa impersonator
AlanGurvey said:
Yes, learn how to spell it before you use as an example first.
Sound advice, but give the goyish kid a small break - he's only a farblondzhet14 years old, and probably doesn't know a dreidel from his own shmeckle. ;-)

s2a

Heretic and part-time (skinny) Santa impersonator
~Lord Roghen~ said:

Comments?

It might help if you could illustrate just whom, or what, is seeking to deny or abridge your right to say "Christmas"?

Do you have any specific examples to provide that demonstrate either a governmentally sponsored bit of legislation, or some pending/current court litigation intended to prevent you - or anyone else - from saying "[Merry] Christmas"?

While true that some retail businesses (as a matter of suggested policy) choose to utilize "Happy Holidays" as a more inclusive expressed sentiment that no reasonable patron should find offensive (unless you really don't want other people to enjoy the holidays in their own way), I know of no particular instance wherein a retail employee was ever terminated or otherwise threatened/punished for saying "Merry Chrisitmas"- to anyone.

On the other hand, there are quite a few concerted folks that would like to mandate/impose/insist that all retail businesses must say "Merry Christmas" to all of their patrons (thus seeking to deny such businesses their own rights to express their own choices in company policy and customer relations). Do you suppose those efforts are "fair"?

Bear in mind that "government" (either local, state, or federal) is bound by legal adherence to constitutional law to respect the established boundaries that separate governmental interests (in service and deference to all citizens), from personal/organizational religious interests (either in free exercize or expression). Remember as well that no protected "right" is either completely unconditional or absolute. You retain the "right" to speak your mind as you please, but that right is legally abridged if you exercize your "right" in such a way that in so doing, might/would deny others their own freedom and protections.

I'm sure you've heard of the "Yelling 'fire!' in a crowded theater" metaphor. You have the right to petition your government with greivances, but you can't purposefully incite a riot in the process. You can editorialize (either in speaking or in print) about the behaviors and actions of other individuals, but in such critique to purposefully mischaracterize/misrepresent (ie., lie) those words and deeds with intent to cause them personal injury, is civilly unlawful.

If you haven't read the US Constitution (I suggest you use a reference guide with sidenotes), you should take the time and do so. After digesting what "rights", protections, and guarantees that document establishes for you, and I, and every other citizen in the U.S., you'll know and understand that there is no inherent or foundational "right" that protects you from being "offended" by the words and deeds of others. That's the beauty of "free speech". You can say, write, or think just about any offensive thing you please. Proper decorum in mixed company and good manners are nice, and societal standards of acceptable civil conduct matter (if you want to get along with others), but know and understand that you can claim no established right or protection from taken offense in comments regarding your personal views or religious perspective.

People are entitled to openly mock your beliefs/wishes/dreams to their heart's content, just as you are equally entitled to mock or deride their own.
That's your "right".

Is it "fair"?

I kinda think so...

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
YmirGF said:
You see in Canada and the US, it is no longer politically correct to refer to Christmas as Christmas. I forget what the White House called their Christmas tree this year, but it was pretty lame. Here in Canada, lest we offend anyone at all, Christmas is now referred to as Winter Festive Season. The daughter of a friend was telling me that they were given a letter from the school district just before Christmas... err, Winter Festive Season, explaining why they were not to refer to Christmas, as Christmas, lest they offend any non-Christian sensitivities. :eek:

*sigh*

Don't the politically correct have anything better to do? :banghead3

But I take it that it would be regarded as treason, heresy, and a hanging offence to change the title of an Islamic religious holiday ?:bow: (well, maybe a bit harsh), but at least behavious likely to lead to civil disorder (and a few embassy stonings and fires?)

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
~Lord Roghen~ said:

Comments?

DSCN1265-thumb.JPG

Lord Roghen, could you point out the law(s) that prohibit Christmas?

Pah

Uber all member
~Lord Roghen~ said:
This thread is made specificcaly to preserve our right to say "christmas" in the USA. It's completely not fair that anyone is supporting this, but not supporting any other religions word, such as "hannaka" etc. This is wrong and offensive, and if your a christian like me, even the work of the devil.

Comments?

DSCN1265-thumb.JPG

To tell the truth, the little sledding bear, seemingly a combatant, looks to be having a festive time in the season.

I applaud your sensitivity to the "unwashed".:clap
I should also note that with one more plastic display piece you'd have meet the Supreme Court criteria to have included a nativity on public ground. Maybe next year? :jam:

Buttons*

Glass half Panda'd
you do know that Christmas was not originally a Christian holiday... right?

If anything Christians should be against Christmas MORE than most people because of its pagan origins.

standing_alone

Pah said:
To tell the truth, the little sledding bear, seemingly a combatant, looks to be having a festive time in the season.

Dontcha know, Pah, the anti-Christmas "Happy Holidays" bear is trying to divert people's attention from the "Merry Christmas" sign so the the anti-Christmas forces are one step closer to outlawing said phrase. If people are distracted by the bear and don't see the "Merry Christmas" sign, then the people won't know that their right to say "Merry Christmas" is in danger.

Buttons*

Glass half Panda'd
standing_alone said:
Dontcha know, Pah, the anti-Christmas "Happy Holidays" bear is trying to divert people's attention from the "Merry Christmas" sign so the the anti-Christmas forces are one step closer to outlawing said phrase. If people are distracted by the bear and don't see the "Merry Christmas" sign, then the people won't know that their right to say "Merry Christmas" is in danger.
damn you goats! damn your filth to hell!!! *shakes fist*

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Have you anything against Christians who adopt pagan 'bits' that they like ?........most Christian Churches stand on what were previously Pagan sites.........

Buttons*

Glass half Panda'd
michel said:
Have you anything against Christians who adopt pagan 'bits' that they like ?........most Christian Churches stand on what were previously Pagan sites.........
uh huh! conversions galore!

c0da

There was a similar thing to this around Christmas here in the UK too. One local council renamed the annual celebrations at Christmas time 'winterfest' or something like that and, naturally, the right wing press said that it was happening all over the country and that we should all beware.

To be honest though, people have got so wrapped up in the commercial side of Christmas that its more about getting presents than it is about the birthday boy himself!