• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Anthropolatry

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
Are christian's who worship Jesus, practicing a "form" of idolatry?
Perhaps, but perhaps there is nothing wrong with that either. The human mind needs a concrete focus for its attention. It is not easy to focus on a non-physical infinite God that one cannot visualize. The key is to have a form, like Jesus, that to you represents the stepping stone between you and the God of pure Love for all.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Are christian's who worship Jesus, practicing a "form" of idolatry?

Yes.

It's not a form of it. They are worshiping a human being who says he is the son of god (likened himself to the creator).

Whether jesus' claim that he is not is true or not, I'd have to ask jesus. So far, as human, yes, they worship him rather than the creator only.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
Perhaps, but perhaps there is nothing wrong with that either. The human mind needs a concrete focus for its attention. It is not easy to focus on a non-physical infinite God that one cannot visualize. The key is to have a form, like Jesus, that to you represents the stepping stone between you and the God of pure Love for all.

unfortunately, that image/form is susceptible to selfish acts of profit and power. there is nothing wrong with have a pattern to emulate. there is a problem with having an image/form that subjugates

22 Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools, 23 And changed the glory of the uncorruptible God into an image made like to corruptible man, and to birds, and fourfooted beasts, and creeping things. 24 Wherefore God also gave them up to uncleanness through the lusts of their own hearts, to dishonour their own bodies between themselves:
25 Who changed the truth of God into a lie, and worshipped and served the creature more than the Creator, who is blessed for ever. Amen.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
Yes.

It's not a form of it. They are worshiping a human being who says he is the son of god (likened himself to the creator).

Whether jesus' claim that he is not is true or not, I'd have to ask jesus. So far, as human, yes, they worship him rather than the creator only.

why worship one aspect of the embodiment vs recognizing the whole embodiment as the offspring of the Unformed Informer. it was the Unformed Informer who taught Jesus.

John 4:23
But the hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth: for the Father seeketh such to worship him.

John 5:19
Then answered Jesus and said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, The Son can do nothing of himself, but what he seeth the Father do: for what things soever he doeth, these also doeth the Son likewise.

John 8:28
28 Then said Jesus unto them, When ye have lifted up the Son of man, then shall ye know that I am he, and that I do nothing of myself; but as my Father hath taught me, I speak these things.

John 12:49
49 For I have not spoken of myself; but the Father which sent me, he gave me a commandment, what I should say, and what I should speak.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
unfortunately, that image/form is susceptible to selfish acts of profit and power. there is nothing wrong with have a pattern to emulate. there is a problem with having an image/form that subjugates
The level of a Christian's success them will be determined by how well he keeps his focus on the peace and love of Jesus.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
why worship one man vs all men?

If God created all things, then why worship one thing vs "all" things?

The logic behind it is jesus was sent by god as savior. So, Jane Doe and Joe Smith aren't sent by god, they feel it only make sense to worship the one god has sent not all people.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
The logic behind it is jesus was sent by god as savior. So, Jane Doe and Joe Smith aren't sent by god, they feel it only make sense to worship the one god has sent not all people.

these are all saviors

O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, thou that killest the prophets, and stonest them which are sent unto thee, how often would I have gathered thy children together, even as a hen gathereth her chickens under her wings, and ye would not!

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Y
these are all saviors

O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, thou that killest the prophets, and stonest them which are sent unto thee, how often would I have gathered thy children together, even as a hen gathereth her chickens under her wings, and ye would not!

You have to put the scripture link and I can't understand the thees and thous.

In your words, how are they all saviors?

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
Y

You have to put the scripture link and I can't understand the thees and thous.

In your words, how are they all saviors?

Saviour

The name was given by the ancients to deities, esp. tutelary deities, to princes, kings, and in general to men who had conferred signal benefits upon their country, and in more degenerate days by the way of flattery to personages of influence.(Wigram) The word soter was a common Greek epithet for the gods (e.g., Zeus, Apollo, and Hermes), active personalities in world affairs (e.g., Epicurus) and rulers (e.g., Ptolemy Philopator, and later Roman Emporers). (cf. LSJ and BDAG)

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Saviour

The name was given by the ancients to deities, esp. tutelary deities, to princes, kings, and in general to men who had conferred signal benefits upon their country, and in more degenerate days by the way of flattery to personages of influence.(Wigram) The word soter was a common Greek epithet for the gods (e.g., Zeus, Apollo, and Hermes), active personalities in world affairs (e.g., Epicurus) and rulers (e.g., Ptolemy Philopator, and later Roman Emporers). (cf. LSJ and BDAG)

Context.

In scripture savior means a person who given up his life (or something of value) to avoid the death of another person. In NT scripture, it talks about savior meaning someone who sacrifice himself to get god's people out of debt which is death by god's judgement.

Context.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
Context.

In scripture savior means a person who given up his life (or something of value) to avoid the death of another person. In NT scripture, it talks about savior meaning someone who sacrifice himself to get god's people out of debt which is death by god's judgement.

Context.
you can't save someone from themselves. case in point, idolators who worship another at the expense of themselves. the kingdom of god, of heaven, comes from within. it doesn't come through another.

a prophet is sent to warn people. if the prophet doesn't go, then the prophet is held responsible. if the prophet goes and the people do not listen, then the recompense is upon the people.

example

10 And the king of Israel sent to the place which the man of God told him and warned him of, and saved himself there, not once nor twice. 11 Therefore the heart of the king of Syria was sore troubled for this thing; and he called his servants, and said unto them, Will you not shew me which of us is for the king of Israel? 12 And one of his servants said, None, my lord, O king: but Elisha, the prophet that is in Israel, telleth the king of Israel the words that you speakest in thy bedchamber.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
you can't save someone from themselves. case in point, idolators who worship another at the expense of themselves. the kingdom of god, of heaven, comes from within. it doesn't come through another.

a prophet is sent to warn people. if the prophet doesn't go, then the prophet is held responsible. if the prophet goes and the people do not listen, then the recompense is upon the people.

example

10 And the king of Israel sent to the place which the man of God told him and warned him of, and saved himself there, not once nor twice. 11 Therefore the heart of the king of Syria was sore troubled for this thing; and he called his servants, and said unto them, Will you not shew me which of us is for the king of Israel? 12 And one of his servants said, None, my lord, O king: but Elisha, the prophet that is in Israel, telleth the king of Israel the words that you speakest in thy bedchamber.

Hey. That's what scripture NT says. You have to go through christ to be saved by god.

As for worshiping a man rather than god, it's depends on your perspective. If you believe jesus is a man, yes, it is idolism. Many christians do not believe jesus is a man but god. So, through that logic only, they are not committing idolatry.

They feel they are being saved by god.

Where in the bible does it say god does not save?

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
Hey. That's what scripture NT says. You have to go through christ to be saved by god.

As for worshiping a man rather than god, it's depends on your perspective. If you believe jesus is a man, yes, it is idolism. Many christians do not believe jesus is a man but god. So, through that logic only, they are not committing idolatry.

They feel they are being saved by god.

Where in the bible does it say god does not save?

God is the Father of everyone and everything.

And do not call anyone on earth 'father,' for you have one Father, and he is in heaven.

Carl W.

Or, along that line, if they worship the Bible?
Idolatry literally means the worship of an "idol", or in more neutral language a cult image, in the form of a physical image, such as a statue or icon.[1][2][3] In Abrahamic religions, namely Christianity, Islam and Judaism, idolatry connotes the worship of something or someone other than God as if it were God
From wiki.^^^

Going a bit out on a limb but worshiping Jesus
could be a form of idolatry.

Again out of that limb as I haven't researched this but
didn't an apostle call Jesus "good" and Jesus
replied, "there is only that that is good and that is
the Father." ?

It's my belief that Jesus didn't try to be God nor
wanted worshiped.
Thoughts?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
God is the Father of everyone and everything.

And do not call anyone on earth 'father,' for you have one Father, and he is in heaven.

I'm going to do semantics.

In America, many people call their dad's father. If I'm talking to someone I don't know or even a friend, I use the word father. However, I only use the word dad with my intermediate family. Culture thing.

And do not call anyone on earth 'father,' for you have one Father, and he is in heaven.​

This means, don't call anyone else god/creator because you only have one creator that is your Father (big F) Father in heaven.

Has nothing to do with the word itself. It has to do with addressing another person as if they were god/creator/F-ather.

The word "father" has nothing to do with it.

Context please.