• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Another poll about beliefs

Which do you think have been disproved, or not proven to your satisfaction?

• Young Earth Creationism

Votes: 21 95.5%
  • Flat-Earth belief

• Global Warming doesn't exist

Votes: 10 45.5%
  • Humans never visited the Moon

Votes: 15 68.2%
  • The biblical Adam and Eve story

• The biblical Noah's Ark story

• Evil exists - other than this meaning 'extremely bad'

Votes: 11 50.0%
  • The paranormal exists

• Prayer works - as to the subject/event prayed for

• Aliens have visited Earth

Votes: 16 72.7%

• Total voters

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Some beliefs which you think have been disproved, or not proven to your satisfaction. Perhaps mention any that I should have included and that might go into some other thread. :oops:

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
I was really tempted to not mark any of them, honestly. Disproven under what assumptions? Are we supposed to assume infantile literalism, or more nuanced interpretations of storytelling and meaning? And what does it mean to exist, precisely?

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
The poll is asking if they've been "disproven to your satisfaction," not "proven to your satisfaction."

Maybe I'm misunderstanding, then:

Screenshot_20231007-123421~2.png

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Maybe I'm misunderstanding, then:

View attachment 83260
The poll isn't asking if any of these have been proven to your satisfaction. It's asking if they've been disproven to your satisfaction.

For example, it's not asking if the claim that global warming doesn't exist has been proven to your satisfaction. They're asking if the claim has been refuted satisfactorily where you can be confident that global warming is real, thereby dismissing the claim that it isn't.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
The poll isn't asking if any of these have been proven to your satisfaction. It's asking if they've been disproven to your satisfaction.

For example, it's not asking if the claim that global warming doesn't exist has been proven to your satisfaction. They're asking if the claim has been refuted satisfactorily where you can be confident that global warming is real, thereby dismissing the claim that it isn't.

Oh. I see now.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm just gonna change my vote now to the one that has the fewest votes. Partially because I find it hilarious that that of all things has the fewest votes. It says an awful lot about humanity as a species (non-representative sample size notwithstanding) and it's willingness to be really quite judgemental about things.

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
Amongst my non-votes was "the paranormal exists." This requires clarification: I believe that Paranormal experiences exist...that is, people have experiences that are classified as paranormal. Whether they are genuinely paranormal or not is up for debate...at least, I haven't been convinced, despite my own experiences...

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm just gonna change my vote now to the one that has the fewest votes. Partially because I find it hilarious that that of all things has the fewest votes. It says an awful lot about humanity as a species (non-representative sample size notwithstanding) and it's willingness to be really quite judgemental about things.
This post is oozing with irony.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
Well, it might be but does it deserve some 'evil' label?
Why not?

• adjective Morally bad or wrong; wicked.
  • adjective Causing ruin, injury, or pain; harmful.
  • adjective Characterized by or indicating future misfortune; ominous.
  • adjective Bad or blameworthy by report; infamous.
  • adjective Characterized by anger or spite; malicious.
  • noun The quality of being morally bad or wrong; wickedness.
evil — definition, examples, related words and more at Wordnik

Seems a useful word...

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Why not?

• adjective Morally bad or wrong; wicked.
  • adjective Causing ruin, injury, or pain; harmful.
  • adjective Characterized by or indicating future misfortune; ominous.
  • adjective Bad or blameworthy by report; infamous.
  • adjective Characterized by anger or spite; malicious.
  • noun The quality of being morally bad or wrong; wickedness.
evil — definition, examples, related words and more at Wordnik

Seems a useful word...
Not when it implies nothing can be done and often related to 'being born as such'. Why not use some other term that was not so loaded - and where change/development might be available? The term just sounds too religious and irredeemable, and is often used this way. I think it is evil to do so. :eek: