• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Animal Sacrifice

jasonwill2

As in killing an animal in a ritual magic(k) setting for the honoring of the animal whom is giving it's life to sustain you, or something more centered on the blood.

I have recently decided that I am not against sacrificing food-type animals given they are humanely killed and eaten afterwards.

Hail Satan.

Cassiopia

Sugar and Spice
I have recently decided that I am not against sacrificing food-type animals given they are humanely killed and eaten afterwards.

Hail Satan.
I would not be against that either if the primary reason for killing the animal is for food to be eaten. I am against all other forms of animal sacrifice though. To kill an animal unless your life is threatened by it, is a senseless and immoral waste of life.

Polarbear

As in killing an animal in a ritual magic(k) setting for the honoring of the animal whom is giving it's life to sustain you, or something more centered on the blood.

Hail Satan.

I don't see the problem with animal sacrifices as long as the animals are humanly killed either, after all most of us eat hamburgers without any guilt don't we? The two rests on the same principle in my opinion: It's okay to kill animals to satisfy human desires.

Hail Mary!

Antibush5

I'm of the opinion that I don't need to care much for creatures that don't reason. So you go do that.

Hail Tlaloc

mycorrhiza

I am against animal sacrifice as I find it disrespectful and anthropocentric. It's about murdering innocent beings to satisfy ones own spiritual needs, and I can't see that being something good. But then again, I'm also against meat eating in general.

Polarbear

I am against animal sacrifice as I find it disrespectful and anthropocentric. It's about murdering innocent beings to satisfy ones own spiritual needs, and I can't see that being something good. But then again, I'm also against meat eating in general.

Well if you are against meating as well that means you are consistent. :clap
Thanks for seeing that these issues goes hand in hand.

I have been having my doubts about the ethics of eating meat lately as well. After all we do it just for pleasure, it's not like we need it to survive. I have however not concluded that it's wrong yet

jasonwill2

Honoring the animal, who is the one making the sacrifice, is more evil than eating a hamburger who was killed in a horrid slaughter house on a conveyor belt?

edit: oh wait you said you were against eating meat in general, my bad.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Honoring the animal, who is the one making the sacrifice, is more evil than eating a hamburger who was killed in a horrid slaughter house on a conveyor belt?

How does killing an animal "honour" it? Do you think the animal would feel privileged if it knew what was going on?

In terms of harm, I think there may very well be less harm (or at least less stress and suffering) in a modern slaughterhouse that's been designed to keep the animals calm while being handled and where the animals are stunned before killing than in some ritual that could very well stress the animal before it's killed. That goes double if the person killing the animal doesn't know what they're doing or is hesitant.

But as for "evil", I think that brings intent and mindset into it. What are you trying to accomplish through sacrifice? I don't think it's just a matter of preparing a meal, is it? It seems like a lot of trouble to go to if this is the case. Also, as I asked you in chat: are you taking pleasure in the killing in your ritual? If so, I think it's very dangerous and disturbing.

And you seem to be trying to point out hypocrisy in people who don't approve of ritual slaughter. With that in mind, I have a question for you: where do *you* get your meat from that you don't kill yourself? Do you eat those "slaughterhouse hamburgers" yourself?

Polarbear

In terms of harm, I think there may very well be less harm (or at least less stress and suffering) in a modern slaughterhouse that's been designed to keep the animals calm while being handled and where the animals are stunned before killing than in some ritual that could very well stress the animal before it's killed. That goes double if the person killing the animal doesn't know what they're doing or is hesitant.

I would just like to point out that there is a whole lot more that goes into the process of producing meat for food than what goes on in the slaughterhouse, much of which is horrible. (Yes, I am having a hard time justifying my love for Mcdonalds burgers, I may even go vegan one day) I think it would be better to compare the process of producing meat for sacrifice and for food as a whole rather than just what goes on during the ritual or in the slaughterhouse. For example sacrificial cattle would't need to be castreted (frequently done without anesthesia) to preserve the good taste of their flesh.

jasonwill2

How does killing an animal "honour" it? Do you think the animal would feel privileged if it knew what was going on?

The ritual is a ceremony to give respect to the animal ur gonna eat. Also i don't think animals can feel privileged.

You havn't seen video of slaughter houses have you? It is NOTHING like that, it is pure hell and fear before they die as they are handled with little concern. Go see how they deal with Chicken or cattle and come back and tell me if the animals seemed calm. They literally pull chickens by their legs on conveyor belts across a blade that slits their throat.. hanging upside down. I've seen videos of slaughter houses.

I'm the first generation of my family in a long time to not be raised on a farm. My mother is a nurse and my grandfather a retired professor, and both were raised on farms. As well I literally live on an unused farm and have farmer neighbors living outside of town. I would find someone that could advise me on it. I don't think cutting the throat would be that hard in most cases.

But as for "evil", I think that brings intent and mindset into it. What are you trying to accomplish through sacrifice? I don't think it's just a matter of preparing a meal, is it? It seems like a lot of trouble to go to if this is the case.
This was mentioned in our topic on animal sacrifice I made in the LHP directory. Essentially it helps us understand our relationship to food better and what all goes into actually getting meat. One of the posters reported he felt a more intimate connection with his meat and actually ate less of it because of his experiences of animal sacrifice.

Also, as I asked you in chat: are you taking pleasure in the killing in your ritual? If so, I think it's very dangerous and disturbing.
Is it disturbing to take pleasure in eating dead animals and consuming their flesh? I like bloody steak I won't lie, but I would think that killing an animal would take something out of me. But as for the spilled blood? You can't eat blood anyways so why not spill it for whatever higher power suits your fancy?

Enjoying the fact that soon you will have food is not disturbing, you do eat it after all. If you just killed it but didn't eat it that would be a problem though.

And you seem to be trying to point out hypocrisy in people who don't approve of ritual slaughter. With that in mind, I have a question for you: where do *you* get your meat from that you don't kill yourself? Do you eat those "slaughterhouse hamburgers" yourself?
To my shame, yes. But I hope I can change this one day or at least buy organic food. Stuck financially though so I can't do that right now. I do live on a farm though and could raise some animals for food if I wanted I guess.

Last edited:

jasonwill2

Penguin in my expereince with handling cattle, the more well it knows people the less afriad and easier to handle it will be. It may not even see it coming.

(btw i wouldnt sacrifice a cow, them selling up to a USD dollar per pound last year, thats hundreds of dollars for one animal)

About those slaughterhouses, may I recommend this website: http://www.peta.org/
They have several disturbing videos of what goes on in slaughterhouses, view at your own discretion.

I wouldn't trust anything else they so tho, eco-terrorist connections and all. But the videos show some of the really worst stuff. Not all slaughter houses are as bad as in those videos, but many are not terribly humane in terms of the animal's fear as it can smell death.

Polarbear

I wouldn't trust anything else they so tho, eco-terrorist connections and all. But the videos show some of the really worst stuff. Not all slaughter houses are as bad as in those videos, but many are not terribly humane in terms of the animal's fear as it can smell death.

Yeah, Peta is generally too extreme, but I like how they write about sever cases of animal abuse and neglect.

illykitty

RF's pet cat
I don't see a problem with it if you intend to eat it and if it's not done with malicious intent. As long as its quick and clean, the animal has the least amount of suffering as possible. I'd like to think of it on a same level as native americans. Honour and use all of the animal, if you can. Give your thanks to it.

But personally, I wouldn't be able to do it, except perhaps a fish but I'd feel sad. Hence why I'm pescatarian.

Curious George

Veteran Member
I don't see a problem with it if you intend to eat it and if it's not done with malicious intent. As long as its quick and clean, the animal has the least amount of suffering as possible. I'd like to think of it on a same level as native americans. Honour and use all of the animal, if you can. Give your thanks to it.

But personally, I wouldn't be able to do it, except perhaps a fish but I'd feel sad. Hence why I'm pescatarian.

but sacrificing that pretty little avatar is out of the question, right?

jasonwill2

I think that is more what is about in general from my understanding. I don't hate animals lol. I've witnessed my next door neighbors beat their tied-out dog on two different occasions for simply barking and it made me sick to my stomach. I can't say that the idea of animals in pain appeal to me.

but sacrificing that pretty little avatar is out of the question, right?

I wrote this a while after coming to accept the idea of animal sacrifice after thinking it over intellectually and getting over my emotional shock of the idea.

Article 7 of 7, part two:

"Non-human animals, as different beings whom may be freely consumed, have Selves that shall not be harmed other than for self-defense, food, or sacrifice. Non-human animals that have gained an evolutionary alliance with humans, are fit neither for food nor sacrifice. Sacrifices should always be consumed, and the blood given to Ha-Satan."

http://www.religiousforums.com/forum/2993751-post30.html

jasonwill2

I plan to raise some chickens for the purpose of animal sacrifice, but honestly my first choice would be rabbits, but they would be a bit more to upkeep and how they would taste. I would just choose them for the blood-spilling part.

But chickens are cheaper to keep, you can get eggs from them, and I like the taste of chicken more.