• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Animal Sacrifice...

Lycan

Preternatural
To all of you meat eaters out there...

Could animal sacrifice be considered ok?

Say you live on a farm where animals are killed and eaten for food all the time (chickens, rabbits and such) Could you kill the rabbit, chicken, etc. in a sacraficial way (according to the subscribed religion) then eat it or would eating it nullify the sacrifice? and if you did the above and ate the anima, is in that case animal sacrifice ok since you would have killed and ate it anyway?

jewscout

Religious Zionist
Lycan said:
To all of you meat eaters out there...

Could animal sacrifice be considered ok?

Say you live on a farm where animals are killed and eaten for food all the time (chickens, rabbits and such) Could you kill the rabbit, chicken, etc. in a sacraficial way (according to the subscribed religion) then eat it or would eating it nullify the sacrifice? and if you did the above and ate the anima, is in that case animal sacrifice ok since you would have killed and ate it anyway?
hmmm well i'm not particularly partial to the idea of sacrafices myself...but there is some discussion about whether or not the sacrafices will be re-instituted during the time of the 3rd temple among jewish scholars. I've found that some of the more orthodox leanings feel that the sacrafices will be reinstituted as they were before, others say there will be no sacrafices at all, since there was never meant to be any in the first place.
If they are to be reinstituted the traditions hold that part of the sacrafice will be eaten and part not.

but it all depends on who you ask...

No*s

Captain Obvious
Personally, I wouldn't forbid it whether they ate it or not. If it's their religion let them, and let the state keep out.

However, I would have a problem with an Orthodox Christian doing it :).

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
I lived on a small farm once, on which my parents tried to rear allsorts of animals; pigs, cows, chickens, rabbits, ampongst others.

I shall never forget the day Mum told dad she wanted a chicken for Sunday lunch. Dad asked the farmer next door, who said "It's easy, just grab them by the neck with two handsm, twist in opposite directions...............".

Of course, my Dad, who had been through the Second world war could,nt kill tha chicken; he had to ask the neighbour to do it for him. What we later found out was that the neighbour was illeterate; so each time he got a letter, he'd go across his field to the bottom of ours, and blow on a French horn. Whenever dad heard it, he'd go and meet the guy and read his post out for him.

Now, that is true symbiosis!

Me, no; I could':) nt sacrifice any living thing.

Master Vigil

My relationship with animals is one of respect. I respect them, and they respect me. There is no reason why I should scarifice an animal. Since I don't believe there is anything to sacrifice them to, it would truely be DISrespectul!!!

A

angellous_evangellous

No*s said:
Personally, I wouldn't forbid it whether they ate it or not. If it's their religion let them, and let the state keep out.

However, I would have a problem with an Orthodox Christian doing it :).
I agree, unless the sacrifice involves torture or is gratuitus, which could be harmful to humans.

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
If they're going to eat the animal afterwards and kill it in a humane way, I see it as no more than a flashier version of killing. Killing without eating shouldn't be done, though. That's just plain disrespectful.

linwood

Doesn`t Islam offer sacrifices before or after Ramadan?
Some Islamic holiday, I`m not sure.

They sacrifice and then eat the animals.

I`m ok with it.

croak

Trickster
Doesn`t Islam offer sacrifices before or after Ramadan?
Some Islamic holiday, I`m not sure.

They sacrifice and then eat the animals.

I`m ok with it.
Eid Al-Adha, which takes place after hajj, I think. The meat isn't just for you. You distribute it to the poor. And you can eat it if you want. ;)

But killing without eating, in my opinion, is truly a bad thing, unless you live in areas where they need animal fur (but I doubt there is barely anybody who still does).

Also, an experiment was conducted, to see whether animals killed in slaughter house with a gun or those which were killed in the Islamic way suffered more. Surprising results. The Islamic way was quite painless. I forgot where the website is....

jewscout

Religious Zionist
RearingArabian said:
Also, an experiment was conducted, to see whether animals killed in slaughter house with a gun or those which were killed in the Islamic way suffered more. Surprising results. The Islamic way was quite painless. I forgot where the website is....
I wonder if it's similar to kosher butchering?

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
well... I don't know about animal sacrifices per say...

But traditionally when a hunter killed for food they would sometimes leave behind part as an offering to the spirit of the animal they killed. Say leaving the head facing the east for instance.

At gatherings where ceremony is going to be held or spirits are 'invited' to join us we leave part of our meals aside in an out of the way place for the spirits. Now wether that spirit is a mouse, raccoon or the nighbors dog or something elce entirely is really moot, so long as someone elce gets to share in our feast. ;)

Some ceremonies called for ritual use of animal parts (such as buring deer toungs on the fire) in which the part would be used up in the ritual, some involved eating the animal afterwards. (such as some 'dog soup' ceremonies)

anyway, the key in my religion is respecting the animals and plants, most 'sacrifies' had to do with keeping the animals spirits at peace and keeping the people mindful of thier connection with the rest of creation.
I guess in that way I really can't complain much about it ;)

wa:do

"[F]or behold all acts of willing sacrifice are my rituals." (Charge of the God)
"Nor do I demand sacrifice; for behold, I am the Mother of all living, and my love is poured out upon the Earth. " (Charge of the Goddess)

In animal sacrifice, the animal is never willing to die, as is shown in it's struggles to flee from the one with the axe or knife. And the god says that it has to be willing. The goddess says that she doesn't demand sacrifice because we are all her creations and she loves us whether we are human or not. Therefore, no. Wiccans do not believe in or practice animal sacrifice.

Prima

Animal sacrifice started as a way of giving the Gods some of what you have. So with that idea, there's no reason why I can't give my gods something sacrificial without having to kill an animal just for that purpose! Would you want a gift that was stolen? I wouldn't. Nor would I want a gift that caused pain. Those are just my thoughts, though.

john313

warrior-poet
jewscout said:
I wonder if it's similar to kosher butchering?
From what i have been told they are the same thing, but it is only what i have been told. cut through the carotid artery with a very sharp knife with 1 swipe. they say the animals feel no pain if done properly.

Natural Submission

"They shall no longer sacrifice their slaughtered beasts to the demons whom they wantonly follow. This shall be a rule binding on them and their descendants for all time." Leviticus 17:7

"For I desire Mercy not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of YHVH rather than burnt offerings. Like Adam they have broken the covenant." Hosea 6:6-7

"The reek of sacrifice is abhorrent to me" Isaiah 1:13
"There is blood on your hands; wash yourselves and be clean." Isaiah 1:15-16

"The first cases to be adjudicated on the Day of Judgment will be those of bloodshed." - The Prophet Muhammad (sal)

The Prophet Muhammad (sal) was asked: "Oh Prophet, are we rewarded for kindness to animals?" Muhammad (sal) replied: "There is a reward for kindness to every living thing."

Muhmammad (sal) taught "A good deed done to an animal is as good as doing good to a human being; while an act of cruelty to a animal is as bad as an act of cruelty to a human being."

"And be not like those who say, 'we have heard', while they do not hearken. Verily, the vilest of all creatures, in the sight of Allah, are those deaf and dumb ones who do not use their rationality." Qur’an, Sura 8:21,22