• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

And then, things got worse in India

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Judicial systems are by definition unfair. I'm surprised so few people accept that.

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN
I guess that is a sign that there is some big problem with the judicial system in India. - It seems people are not believing it . Are the criminals simply getting away free? (I don't think such a single incident (if it is a single incident only) counts - but still)

Over the last couple of years rapists there have been getting away with their extremely violent rapes - often ending in murder.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
My friend's brother is a lawyer working in the Indian southern state of Tamil Nadu. He lent me his driver, and car last time we went. I got the impression the legal system is a ridiculous situation, filled with corruption and red tape. (Like here, but far worse) As we drove past a jail, his comment was , "You don't really want to have to go in there."

This is brutal vigilante justice, but I can understand somewhat too. In Canada, only 6% or rapes get reported, in large part due to the unlikelihood of getting a guilty verdict. The idea of vigilante justice is likely entertained by fathers, brothers, and friends. I have no idea how that number of 6% would be in India, or any other country, for that matter.

Wirey

Fartist
My friend's brother is a lawyer working in the Indian southern state of Tamil Nadu. He lent me his driver, and car last time we went. I got the impression the legal system is a ridiculous situation, filled with corruption and red tape. (Like here, but far worse) As we drove past a jail, his comment was , "You don't really want to have to go in there."

This is brutal vigilante justice, but I can understand somewhat too. In Canada, only 6% or rapes get reported, in large part due to the unlikelihood of getting a guilty verdict. The idea of vigilante justice is likely entertained by fathers, brothers, and friends. I have no idea how that number of 6% would be in India, or any other country, for that matter.

My little sister was raped by 5 guys when she was 16. She looked older and was in a bar. They took her and a friend to a hotel and kept them there all night. The police were disinclined to press charges as they had several witnesses at the bar who swore both girls had claimed they were going "to get gang banged", something I actually find plausible from a kid.

There was a little vigilantism afterwards, but not to the degree seen in this instance.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I'm sorry to hear that, Wirey. I have it in my life ... far too close to home too. Three times ... date rape, party rape, and like the one you described. I felt sad mainly. There was an initial reaction to go do something, but she convinced me otherwise, as she felt it would make the situation worse.

Wirey

Fartist
I'm sorry to hear that, Wirey. I have it in my life ... far too close to home too. Three times ... date rape, party rape, and like the one you described. I felt sad mainly. There was an initial reaction to go do something, but she convinced me otherwise, as she felt it would make the situation worse.

Did you ever look at your daughters and wonder what they haven't told you? That is probably the worst feeling on earth.