• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

And the Sun Stood Still

Unification

Sorry unification but, there is a rule also regarding metaphors. You can't apply a text to what you wish you did. Nice try though. The symbol taken from the kings
hiding in the cave of Makkedah is more to the point.

Ben, I am not enslaved to man rules.... or in other words.... the doctrine of the men whose 5 senses are dull of hearing, seeing, etc.

These 5 kings, or in better words.... 5 senses that once had a stronghold upon me, in which I was once dull on seeing or hearing... have been conquested. For where is the place where the 5 senses are located?

There will come a time, with great patience... where your own walls of Jerocho(pride,stubbornness) will come tumbling down.

Last edited:

Tumah

Veteran Member
Does he, by any chance, speak about what happened in the sky when the sun and the moon stopped moving?
I'm sure you could check from the same source you got the principle from.
Joshua would have reported some thing of the sort if it had been literal. Don't you think so?
You mean besides for his report in verse 13?

Parsimony

Still with the Nasa computer finding of an extra day, it would be disastrous if literally the sun and the moon stood still.
The story also doesn't make any sense to me. Why would NASA need to program anything with the position of the stars as they were thousands of years ago instead of how they appear today? That being said, how would the computer even know that it got anything wrong? In order for NASA to calculate the position of the stars thousands of years ago, they'd have to extrapolate based on existing positions. If the computer was wrong, it could not know it.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
The account at Joshua 10:13,14 clearly is not symbolic. "So the sun stood still and the moon did not move until the nation could take vengeance on its enemies. Is it not written in the book of Jaʹshar? The sun stood still in the middle of the sky and did not hasten to set for about a whole day. There has never been a day like that one, either before it or after it, when Jehovah listened to the voice of a man, for Jehovah was fighting for Israel."
How Jehovah performed this miracle is not stated. The fact that "there has never been a day like that one, either before or after it" marks it as a unique, historical, and miraculous event, IMO.
The1000 mile an hour winds must have been quite a sight.

whirlingmerc

The NASA story makes no sense... I agree...

If God bent the light there would not be 1000 mph wind... but He can se aside ordiary laws of nature to accomplish a miricle should he choose

Lamedh
89 Forever, O Lord, your word
is firmly fixed in the heavens.
90 Your faithfulness endures to all generations;
you have established the earth, and it stands fast.
91 By your appointment they stand this day,
for all things are your servants. <-------
92 If your law had not been my delight,
I would have perished in my affliction.

1000 mph winds are 27/7 on Jupiter Saturn Uranus and Neptune (Neptune the windiest planet)

Last edited:

Ben Avraham

The story also doesn't make any sense to me. Why would NASA need to program anything with the position of the stars as they were thousands of years ago instead of how they appear today? That being said, how would the computer even know that it got anything wrong? In order for NASA to calculate the position of the stars thousands of years ago, they'd have to extrapolate based on existing positions. If the computer was wrong, it could not know it.

Besides, the NASA and the computer did not exist thousands of year ago. That's why the story does not make any sense to you. Better to use the power of the metaphorical concept to go for the truth.

Ben Avraham

Ben, I am not enslaved to man rules.... or in other words.... the doctrine of the men whose 5 senses are dull of hearing, seeing, etc.

These 5 kings, or in better words.... 5 senses that once had a stronghold upon me, in which I was once dull on seeing or hearing... have been conquested. For where is the place where the 5 senses are located?

There will come a time, with great patience... where your own walls of Jerocho(pride,stubbornness) will come tumbling down.

The metaphorical picture here is drawn between the powers-to-be and the five powerful kings whom Joshua caused them to stop so that the very smaller army of Israel could come out victorious.
The same happened in 1967 when the sun and the moon stood still while the little army of Israel achieved a miraculous victory over several powerfully armed nations.

ukok102nak

~;> as they say
as it is written
:read:
Acts 7:30
"Forty years later, a messenger appeared to him in the flames of a burning bush in the desert of Mount Sinai.
31 Moses was surprised when he saw this. As he went closer to look at the bush, the voice of the Lord said to him,
32 'I am the God of your ancestors--the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob.' Moses began to tremble and didn't dare to look at the bush.
33 The Lord told him, 'Take off your sandals. The place where you're standing is holy ground.
34 I've seen how my people are mistreated in Egypt. I've heard their groaning and have come to rescue them. So now I'm sending you to Egypt.'
35 "This is the Moses whom the Israelites rejected by saying, 'Who made you our ruler and judge?' This is the one God sent to free them and to rule them with the help of the messenger who appeared to him in the bush.
36 This is the man who led our ancestors out of Egypt. He is the person who did amazing things and worked miracles in Egypt, at the Red Sea, and in the desert for 40 years.
37 This is the same Moses who told the Israelites, 'God will send you a prophet, an Israelite like me.'
38 This is the Moses who was in the assembly in the desert. Our ancestors and the messenger who spoke to him on Mount Sinai were there with him. Moses received life-giving messages to give to us,
39 but our ancestors were not willing to obey him. Instead, they pushed him aside, and in their hearts they turned back to Egypt.
40 They told Aaron, 'We don't know what has happened to this Moses, who led us out of Egypt. So make gods who will lead us.'
41 That was the time they made a calf. They offered a sacrifice to that false god and delighted in what they had made.

42 "So God turned away from them and let them worship the sun, moon, and stars. This is written in the book of the prophets: 'Did you bring me sacrifices and grain offerings in the desert for 40 years, nation of Israel?
43 You carried along the shrine of Moloch, the star of the god Rephan, and the statues you made for yourselves to worship. I will send you into exile beyond the city of Babylon.'
44 "In the desert our ancestors had the tent of God's promise. Moses built this tent exactly as God had told him. He used the model he had seen.
45 After our ancestors received the tent, they brought it into this land. They did this with Joshua's help when they took possession of the land from the nations that God forced out of our ancestors' way. This tent remained here until the time of David,
46 who won God's favor. David asked that he might provide a permanent place for the family of Jacob.
47 But Solomon was the one who built a house for God.
48 "However, the Most High doesn't live in a house built by humans, as the prophet says:
49 'The Lord says, "Heaven is my throne. The earth is my footstool. What kind of house are you going to build for me? Where will I rest?
50 Didn't I make all these things?"'

. ... as we also believed and put our faith
literally unto the things that are unexpected
if we may say so ... .

:ty:

godbless
unto all always

Milton Platt

AND THE SUN STOOD STILL

It is amazing to see how religious Scholars from almost all quarters of religious life struggling so hard to prove that a day is missing in the history of the universe which can be explained only by the "miracle" that the sun stood still so that the Israelites could win a decisive battle at the conquest of Ganaan, so they assert. Vanity of vanities! When will vanity fade? The answer is in the same chapter of Joshua for how and why the sun stood still.

According to Moses Maimonides in his Book "Guide for the Perplexed" most references to the sun, moon and stars, falling or standing, moving or standing still, are references to the powers that be. When Joshua entered the Land of Canaan with a power unmatched by any other power in the world of then five Canaanite kings got into a strong coalition composed by the city states of Jerusalem, Hebron, Jarmuth, Lachish and Eglon in order to be able to stop Joshua. That's when the epic myth that the sun stood still came about and here is how, according to Joshua 10:13-27.

As the Israelites were faring better in the battle and pursuing the enemies, the above coalition of kings got into the cave of Makkedah and stood still in the hope to keep the secret of their hiding place. Somehow, Joshua was told that they were hiding in that cave and Joshua ordered that a stone wall be built at the entrance to the cave, set some soldiers to watch outside and ordered the Israelites to keep on fighting and pursuing the enemy armies while the kings stood still and until the battle was over. It was a long day so-to-speak as the powers that be stood still until Joshua had achieved complete victory. Then he ordered the cave to be open and the kings to be brought out and over to be punished with death. That's when the sun stood still until the war was over. That's all. No mystery about a natural miracle. Just a strategy of Joshuah to make sure the enemy kings (sun and moon) stook still until the war was over.

From Truth or Fiction Website:
according to a letter I have from the NASA Public Affairs office in Washington, ‘There is no truth to the recurring story that NASA uncovered a lost day in the movement of the Earth.’

ukok102nak

~;> now
if we may say so
kindly read this writtings then tell the difference about what the OP says
as it is written
:read:
Then stood up Elias the prophet as fire, and his word burned like a lamp.
He brought a sore famine upon them, and by his zeal he diminished their number.
By the word of the Lord he shut up the heaven, and also three times brought down fire.
O Elias, how wast thou honoured in thy wondrous deeds! and who may glory like unto thee!
Who didst raise up a dead man from death, and his soul from the place of the dead, by the word of the most High:
Who broughtest kings to destruction, and honorable men from their bed:
Who heardest the rebuke of the Lord in Sinai, and in Horeb the judgment of vengeance:
Who annointedst kings to take revenge, and prophets to succeed after him:
Who was taken up in a whirlwind of fire, and in a chariot of fiery horses:
Who wast ordained for reproofs in their times, to pacify the wrath of the Lord's judgment, before it brake forth into fury, and to turn the heart of the father unto the son, and to restore the tribes of Jacob.
Blessed are they that saw thee, and slept in love; for we shall surely live.
Elias it was, who was covered with a whirlwind: and Eliseus was filled with his spirit: whilst he lived, he was not moved with the presence of any prince, neither could any bring him into subjection.
No word could overcome him; and after his death his body prophesied.
He did wonders in his life, and at his death were his works marvellous.
For all this the people repented not, neither departed they from their sins, till they were spoiled and carried out of their land, and were scattered through all the earth: yet there remained a small people, and a ruler in the house of David:
Of whom some did that which was pleasing to God, and some multiplied sins. Ezekias fortified his city, and brought in water into the midst thereof: he digged the hard rock with iron, and made wells for waters.
In his time Sennacherib came up, and sent Rabsaces, and lifted up his hand against Sion, and boasted proudly.
Then trembled their hearts and hands, and they were in pain, as women in travail.
But they called upon the Lord which is merciful, and stretched out their hands toward him: and immediately the Holy One heard them out of heaven, and delivered them by the ministry of Esay.
He smote the host of the Assyrians, and his angel destroyed them.
For Ezekias had done the thing that pleased the Lord, and was strong in the ways of David his father, as Esay the prophet, who was great and faithful in his vision, had commanded him.

In his time the sun went backward, and he lengthened the king's life.

He saw by an excellent spirit what should come to pass at the last, and he comforted them that mourned in Sion.
He shewed what should come to pass for ever, and secret things or ever they came.

. ... just for a thought
so we may say also ... .

:ty:

godbless
unto all always

Last edited:

Ben Avraham

From Truth or Fiction Website:
according to a letter I have from the NASA Public Affairs office in Washington, ‘There is no truth to the recurring story that NASA uncovered a lost day in the movement of the Earth.’

There was no loss of a day in the movement of the earth. "And the son stood still" in the text when Joshua came out victorious from the battle against five kings was metaphorical, just according to the OP.