• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

And So This Is 4/20 And What Will You Do?

Stanyon

WWMRD?
4/20 is apparently a dopesmokers high time of the year, it also coincides with Adolph Hitler's birthday. I personally am waiting for Walpurgisnacht it's a good excuse for a party. What are your special plans if any or is it just another day?

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
**MOD POST**

I'm preemptively putting up a Rule 6 reminder here.
6. Illegal Activities
Advocating or discussing personal engagement in illegal activities or criminal organizations (such as hate groups or terrorist groups) is prohibited in all areas of RF. Illegal activities are defined based on United States law, and include but are not limited to: drug use, theft, piracy, vandalism, and all violent crimes. Voicing opposition to illegal activities and criminal organizations, or debating changes to current criminal law, may be acceptable at the discretion of the RF staff.

This thread on the staff's radar, so tread carefully in your responses.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I think that here in Canada 4/20 will dissipate into the sands of time, now that it's legalized.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Not trying to be contrary but that rule may need to be eventually revised as more and more U.S. states and counties are legalizing marijuana, some countries as well

Cannabis is still a Schedule I drug under the federal Controlled Substances Act of 1970, so until such time that it is not, discussing personal engagement or advocating its use will remain a violation of the RF Rules.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
For me... Something about the bold red text and the icy blue eyes on the avatar: it's potent.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
4/20 is apparently a dopesmokers high time of the year, it also coincides with Adolph Hitler's birthday. I personally am waiting for Walpurgisnacht it's a good excuse for a party. What are your special plans if any or is it just another day?

Yesterday (4/19) was the 244th anniversary of the Battle of Lexington and Concord - the start of the American Revolution. Nobody started a thread about that.

Today is Saturday. It's been a long work week, so I'm going to enjoy my day off. It's only going to get up to 91° today.

Jim

Nets of Wonder
My answer to this is that I have no interest in bringing all religions together. In fact, I'm opposed to that I think that all it does is confuse people, and distract and divert us from what we really need to be doing. My interest is in bringing people together, across the widest divides between ideological factions, religious and non-religious. It looks to me like trying to do that by pretending that differences in beliefs and practices don't matter, sometimes does more to perpetuate and intensify some of the divides than to bring people together across them. I think that beliefs and practices are the wrong place to look for common ground. I know that it's part of popular thinking in the Baha'i Faith and in maybe in initiatives with "interfaith" in their names, but I think that's the wrong place to look. One place I see to look for common ground is in community service. Another place I see to look for common ground is in our human nature, including the parts of it that we stigmatize. I'm thinking now that growing and spreading recognition of the weaknesses that we all have in common might do more than anything else to bring down the imaginary walls between us defined by ideological labels.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
My answer to this is that I have no interest in bringing all religions together. In fact, I'm opposed to that I think that all it does is confuse people, and distract and divert us from what we really need to be doing. My interest is in bringing people together, across the widest divides between ideological factions, religious and non-religious. It looks to me like trying to do that by pretending that differences in beliefs and practices don't matter, sometimes does more to perpetuate and intensify some of the divides than to bring people together across them. I think that beliefs and practices are the wrong place to look for common ground. I know that it's part of popular thinking in the Baha'i Faith and in maybe in initiatives with "interfaith" in their names, but I think that's the wrong place to look. One place I see to look for common ground is in community service. Another place I see to look for common ground is in our human nature, including the parts of it that we stigmatize. I'm thinking now that growing and spreading recognition of the weaknesses that we all have in common might do more than anything else to bring down the imaginary walls between us defined by ideological labels.
Was this meant for a different thread?

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Marijuana is legal here now, but I don't smoke it, so it'll be just another day for me.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
Not trying to be contrary but that rule may need to be eventually revised as more and more U.S. states and counties are legalizing marijuana, some countries as well

It's that Reefer Madness thingy, isn't it...

For me... Something about the bold red text and the icy blue eyes on the avatar: it's potent.

Wow, dude.....

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I was just thinking that a lot of things happened on April 20, so there may be plenty of things to celebrate this day: April 20 - Wikipedia

Quite a bit happened, such as in the area of science with Marie Curie and Louis Pasteur making important discoveries this date.

It also marks the beginning of the Spanish-American War. That's actually an important turning point in US foreign policy.

160630-gardner-roosevelt-san-juan-tease_detxet

Ironically, it was also on this date in 1961 that the Bay of Pigs invasion failed. It didn't quite go as well as San Juan Hill.

Ellen Brown

Even after reading about the observance, I feel my understanding of it is poor. This time is also about Passover, and what Christians call Easter. I'm contemplating what would best please God?

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Even as someone who supports the legalization of cannabis and who used to... err, know someone who smoked it, I've always found the whole "420" thing to be pretty dumb and goofy.

dianaiad

It's my mother's 91st birthday. My daughters are coming down from Utah, and we are going to spend the next two days celebrating her birthday and Easter Sunday as a family, where all the various relatives who haven't seen her yet are going to meet my granddaughter. Who is five weeks old.

.......and not a single illegal activity planned or predicted. Just family and joy.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Given how messed up I was on the stuff in the 1960's when it was no where near as strong as it is today, I'll pull weeds not smoke the aptly named "weed"/"dope". Calling it "weed" and "dope" is really accurate - language reflects the reality.

Milton Platt

**MOD POST**

I'm preemptively putting up a Rule 6 reminder here.
6. Illegal Activities
Advocating or discussing personal engagement in illegal activities or criminal organizations (such as hate groups or terrorist groups) is prohibited in all areas of RF. Illegal activities are defined based on United States law, and include but are not limited to: drug use, theft, piracy, vandalism, and all violent crimes. Voicing opposition to illegal activities and criminal organizations, or debating changes to current criminal law, may be acceptable at the discretion of the RF staff.

This thread on the staff's radar, so tread carefully in your responses.
Do you go by federal law, or state laws?